Thread: Hero Units - How do you use them in your games?

Default Hero Units - How do you use them in your games?

I added in Hero samuri, bowmen, and spearmen to one of my armies last night for the first time. I would put the bowman in the middle of my lines and try to use them to hit the enemy general due to their long range, I would use the spearmen inside another spear unit on my flanks to really take it to any cav that try to swing around my line, and I would use the hero samuri as backup to help plug any holes forming on my front lines. I decided against using the hero samuri and spearmen to swing around and flank the enemy because I was worried they would be too exposed and could take losses.

Obviously the units are very strong, but since there are so few, they tend to wear down quickly unless given time after each fight to recover. I didnt feel they were the best addition to an army that is driving on an offensive push, but probably would be better suited to help defend in sieges or at chokepoints.

How do you guys use them?

Default Re: Hero Units - How do you use them in your games?

Speaking for myself, I've never actually used a Hero unit. My research path tends to be pretty Chi-heavy regardless of which faction I pick and I've never made it far enough into the Bushido tree to recruit a Hero.

Since I almost always start my games with a rush, I typically start on the Bushido side and pick up the first few techs that add passive bonuses (Bushido, Strategy of Defense, Strategy of Attack). These disproportionately benefit high figure/low stat units like ashigaru.

I then go over to the Chi side and research down to Terrace Farming (Equal Fields). Some people prefer to continue down to Land Consolidation (Chonindo), but I disagree with this approach. Land Consolidation is extremely expensive. It takes a long time to pay back that investment via farm income. The real benefit is the empire-wide food surplus. I'd much rather spend that wealth on armies to increase my food surplus through conquest until I bump up against the Realm Divide cap. Once I'm fame capped and can't increase my food surplus by investing in armies for conquest, I'll come back and pick up Land Consolidation and start investing in more farms.

Once I hit Terrace Farming, I typically return to the Bushido branch to pick up Heaven and Earth. (In my opinion this is one of the stronger Bushido techs.) I then go back to the Chi branch and pick up things Land Consolidation, Ninjitsu Mastery (for the Mizu Shobai District), Kinza Mint (for the Kabunakama) and the temple techs to accelerate this research in no particular order.

There are a couple reasons I usually return to Chi at this point rather than continuing in the Bushido tree. Bear in mind that ashigaru are actually very strong units. Some people argue that the advanced units are never actually an improvement when the upkeep and recruitment costs are considered. (I personally don't stick with ashigaru armies when RD hits, but the existence of the argument illustrates how strong ashigaru are.)

Also bear in mind that those Bushido techs don't give you the ability to recruit the unit. They give you the ability to make the buiding that creates the unit. Want a particular brand of samurai but don't want to invest in the tech? Conquer a city with the appropriate dojo and you have them.

I also consider that by increasing my economy I'm indirectly increasing my military might by allowing the upkeep of more armies.

I'm also usually pre-RD conquest capped at this point and don't have much use for big armies anyway. When I get around to conquest again I usually finish the game before making it far enough down the tech tree to pick up hero units.

I am however currently finishing a "sandbox" game on VH that I've already largely won but am using to explore the tech tree. I'll let you know if I have any special thoughts on hero units. ;)
    Last edited by Leptomeninges; 06-03-2011 at 22:15.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Hero Units - How do you use them in your games?

If I'm on defense i'll use a four line deployment with the elite units to my command at the center of the third line. The first line is typically archers who get pulled back out of the way. The second and third lines will typically "unfold" to meet the enemy's advance, and if I assign targets correctly, this usually throws my best men right into the center of the fight. I cannot afford to lose the battle in the center, so if the heroes can't hold it, then no one could.

If i'm attacking I use a three line offensive formation, archers, main body and then reserve. Heroes will typically either be at the center or on my strongest flank to attempt a quick roll-up. It all depends on the situation when it comes to an assault.

edit: So i guess you could say I give hero units the jobs that I cannot fail at. If they take heavy casualties.. eh. Que sera sera, if they win me the day they've earned a few turn's rest.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-04-2011 at 02:40.