Thread: The Anteroom - community discussion thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default The Anteroom - community discussion thread

Hey all you Throne Roomies! I thought it was about time we had our own off-topic thread so we can gather and shoot the breeze about anything that takes our fancy.

There's enough of us hanging around these days to make a decent sized crowd for some banter. (just remember to follow the org rules or I may have to instagib you )

I might begin by introducing myself: I am phonicsmonkey and I am a hotseat addict.

Since 2007 I have been playing in and hosting hotseat games here in the Throne Room and now I have the privilege of moderating the forum too...I'm keen to grow the community and as most of you know I'm evangelical about the great TW experience to be gained from playing against other humans. I have more recently been enjoying the M2TW RPG V&V as well.

Despite having a personal limit of three hotseats at a time I currently find myself playing in six of them and being the admin for five....I just can't help myself it seems...
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 06-04-2014 at 09:49.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default Re: The Anteroom - community discussion thread

I know how that feels.

One OOC thread to rule them all?

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    Despite having a personal limit of three hotseats at a time I currently find myself playing in six of them and being the admin for five....I just can't help myself if seems...
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Zim, I'm surprised you didn't push for Norway in WotK2...

It was tempting....

Also, death to the Mongols.

Myth has been sending me screenshots of defeated Mongols in an attempt to psyche me out...

He's playing the Shah? I think I'd be up for some psychological warfare in that situation as well, probably starting with pictures of the Shah crying while huddled in a fetal position.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Unification of the Isles: Britannia Hotseat

Version history for 'The last Kingdom'

Version 3.06 (18th August 2011)
    - added 'High Quality Sky Textures Project 1.0' by Hereje
    - corrected royal banner for Vestfold\norway
    - corrected glitches
    *** known error corrections
    - Isle of Muff renamed to Isle of Muil, settlement renamed to Tobar Mhoire
    - Pics for 'Followers of Christus'
    - Pics for 'Ridire bodyguard'
    - simplified Hotseat configuration
    - moved misplaced resources
    - set Vikings to 'War' and negative attitude with everybody except the three other Scandinavian factions.
    - set East-Anglia to 'Neutral' with Wesex
    - Rebel unit 'Ridire Bodyguard got a skin now
    - Vikings will not siege own settlements
    - Lindholm can build port
    - River port that blocked ship travel has been moved into a 'bay'
    - tooltips corrected (coal mines)
    - Berserker and Hirdmen now properly available for slave faction
    - Normans no longer destroy churches after conversion
    - Loyalty of Northumbrian heir increased
    - removed vanilla units from custom battle
    - fixed <beserker_vnv_trigger2> ancillary trigger
    *** other changes
    - incorporated Ulfhednins "True to the sagas" submod:
    several historical names and characters\family trees corrections (Vestfold, Wessex and Normandy)
    spawn of historical characters (Vestfold and Normans)
    adjusted several rebel garrisons in Scandinavia to include historical generals and kings
    Berserker and Hirdmen now properly available for slave faction
    coming of age and min adoption age set to 12 years
    occurance of a Norwegian rebellion
    - initial invasion fleets have alternate co-ordinates for AI
    - made Magyars playable in custom battle
    - changed unsuitable accent of factions
    - strat models for rebel factions corrected
    Version 3.05 (17th July 2011)
    - inital release

Soo we have a new patch for TLC that is not savegame compatible. Anyone up for a hotseat in the Viking age now?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Hi everyone,
    while fuddling about with the export descr unit file for ss 6.4 I accidental overrode my backup of the file. Could someone please upload it for me as I need it for a couple of the hotseat games we are playing here.
    Thank you very much!
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Hi everyone,
    while fuddling about with the export descr unit file for ss 6.4 I accidental overrode my backup of the file. Could someone please upload it for me as I need it for a couple of the hotseat games we are playing here.
    Thank you very much!
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've been following this thread at TWC with interest due to the many issues it raises around hotseat games.

Generally I'm pretty happy with the way the games are played here (and I thank Visor in particular for singing our praises in that thread). The difference between the way the games are played at TWC and here is largely cultural but I think that goes a long way to explaining why we don't have the same level of drama here as they seem to have there.

What I'm getting at is that, for me and for many of the players I know fairly well, playing HS at the Throne Room is not really about winning as such, but is more to do with enjoying the RP and interaction with other players. For my own part I always play to win but I don't really care if I don't win, so long as I find the game entertaining enough. For example one of the best games I've ever played in was WotK where we suffered a catastrophic loss (which was sign-posted a long way back from when we eventually called it quits). So long as I can play out an interesting narrative in the game and get the chance to see at least some of my plans play out (for good or ill) I end up enjoying the game.

I think (hope?) that many of my fellow players here feel the same way.

As to the issues in the TWC thread I'm interested in the idea of simply allowing reloading of turns.

I'm sure that despite its being banned here it does actually happen a fair bit and while there are some rules in place which can mitigate the effects and are sensible (like the agent rules in WotK2), perhaps it's time to accept that we may get a better standard of game by just allowing it?

I don't reload the game myself to get different results - I'm a moderator here and have to set a good example! Having said that if I weren't a mod (or even if it were allowed!) I still probably wouldn't do it because A) I don't care enough about winning and B) I really don't have enough time to do it...

On the other hand as I've been alluding to I think the atmosphere and general conduct of games here is really of a high standard and perhaps we shouldn't fix what isn't broken. I also assume that this would only apply to AR games. I wouldn't want to allow the endless replaying of battles on the battle map until every last soldier is wiped out...

I'm interested in your thoughts guys. Not looking for a confessional, just a theoretical discussion..
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 08-30-2011 at 01:42.

It's an interesting idea but I always thought the players here were good about not reloading. Wee're really lucky in some ways here in the Throne Room. I think some of it may be that hotseats started in this part of our forums that was always about roleplaying (in ye old days this was the aar forum *).

If you allow reloading I'm not sure it would change things a whole lot. We'd likely see a win ratio for whoever initiates the battle in AR hotseats similar to what we get in games with played battles. People who would never have reloaded before will likely give it a couple tries in turns with especially important battles/agent missions. Then there would be those few that would spend hours and hours redoing turns again and again

*5 Santas (outside of the Santa smilie section ) but had trouble finding a regular old man smilie, so I used MR T instead. I pity the the foo'.