Thread: Harry Potter

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Harry Potter

The last movie is out in less than 24 hours, any Potter fans around here? I for one will definitely miss it, loved the books and the movies too.

Share your memories.

Oh, Mischief Managed.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Harry Potter

Oh boy, how much i anticipated those books coming out, how I went to pick up a copy at Midnight on the release night. But then, I've always been disappointed by the movies.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Harry Potter pales in comparison to A Song of Ice and Fire.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Harry Potter pales in comparison to A Song of Ice and Fire.
    Which pales in comparison to Tolkien?

I liked the books fine, I started on the series relatively late, in 2001, and I still have fond memories.......but in the last book, things got slightly out of hand. I mean Rowling world of magic was fantastical but there was still some reason and limits to it. In the last book at the end it was all very vague.
    I too never liked the movies much. The first two were nice, but the ones after weren't all the fun.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

You can file me under F for fan. It's all so hilarious in a most delicate way, all of everydays absurdities in a different setting, a setting where other things make sense. And of course there is Harry. GO HARRY

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good novel. Excellent twists and a novel with much imagination. Well, most of the characters are black or white but it is still surprisingly good. I still enjoy to re-read parts of the books.

Two more things: what I find funny is that the last novel portrays a scene somewhere around 2018, maybe (twenty years later). The other funny thing is the fact I like green colour, silver colour and have picked a nickname with a snake on it. The good news is that I don't feel distinctly evil in any way, so be calm, people.

P.S. I only watched the first two films but I am slightly tempted to watch the last one. Of the two, I liked the second more, especially, hmmm, the fight with the basilisk. I actually sympathised Potter... though I felt a slight pity for the poor snake as well... Such a fine beast wasted.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-14-2011 at 20:45.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

The characters being black and white or even cliché is part of the genius. The real star is the world Rowling created for them. I put her right up there with Roald Dahl in excellence

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

its a childrens book

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    its a childrens book
    /thread
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I read a few of the books when I was about twelve, seen the first couple of films.

I don't understand how adults can still be into it...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

its a childrens book
    And I'm a 34 year old child, reading it with a big stupid grin GO HARRY

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Harry Potter pales in comparison to the Mass Effect movie which is supposedly coming out in 2012/2013.
    Fixed it for you
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

OK I just watched the movie today and....wow. It was IMO the best movie in the series. It had the right amount of humour, and the right amount everything in fact.
    My favourite scene
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was Snape's memories. It was pretty touching.
    The dragon frying that goblin was a close second

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    And I'm a 34 year old child, reading it with a big stupid grin GO HARRY
    Add a 51 year old to that. I resisted reading HP through the first 3/4 books, but decided to give it a read after a number of my adult friends kept going on how good the books were. Turns out they were right. I'm glad I got over that "its only a children's book" stuff and read them.

The movies are a mixed bag. Chamber of Secrets is good but I'm so sick of seeing it on TV. It is way overplayed compared to the rest. The Prisoner of Azkaban is the worst movie.

BTW, my daughter (24 years old - since age appears to be a key factor in these "children's" movies ) saw the midnight show last night and gave it a big thumbs up. "Awesome but sad."
    This space intentionally left blank

its a childrens book
    It's a really good book. Children's book is just an excuse not to be part of the Pottermania.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Hey i read the first harry potter book in 3rd grade. i read all the damn books by the third one i was reading every single book in under 24 hours. So don't get me wrong I read all the books. And fine books they are too. But they are children's books and I don't buy into all the mania regarding them. Also Potter's character progressed into a more and more annoying protagonist. Like really you think your capable of going toe to toe with one of the two greatest wizards ever and you haven't graduated yet?

Also i dislike how many stupid people are so proud of their accomplishments in reading this book its pathetic to see people parading the fact that they read this series when it is the only book they read in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Add a 51 year old to that. I resisted reading HP through the first 3/4 books, but decided to give it a read after a number of my adult friends kept going on how good the books were. Turns out they were right. I'm glad I got over that "its only a children's book" stuff and read them.

The movies are a mixed bag. Chamber of Secrets is good but I'm so sick of seeing it on TV. It is way overplayed compared to the rest. The Prisoner of Azkaban is the worst movie.

BTW, my daughter (24 years old - since age appears to be a key factor in these "children's" movies ) saw the midnight show last night and gave it a big thumbs up. "Awesome but sad."
    About your daughter, is she in need of a punisher

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    About your daughter, is she in need of a punisher
    Frag, you live in Holland, check the bars, it's full of cute girls who need company.

Like really you think your capable of going toe to toe with one of the two greatest wizards ever and you haven't graduated yet?
    It's a completely fictional event, fantasy, you have to suspend your disbelief. That's the whole idea behind it.

Proud

Been to:

My sister is nuts about this. She had a party for the last movie. I had to give up my ticket so that she could take all her friends to the movie.

Hey i read the first harry potter book in 3rd grade. i read all the damn books by the third one i was reading every single book in under 24 hours. So don't get me wrong I read all the books. And fine books they are too. But they are children's books and I don't buy into all the mania regarding them. Also Potter's character progressed into a more and more annoying protagonist. Like really you think your capable of going toe to toe with one of the two greatest wizards ever and you haven't graduated yet?

Also i dislike how many stupid people are so proud of their accomplishments in reading this book its pathetic to see people parading the fact that they read this series when it is the only book they read in their lives.
    You sound rather grumpy. Me I rather enjoy the novels, in particular the way Rowling has used English to actual effect. It's fun to read the actual text, not just the storyline itself. Particularly the way she used stichomythia with Fred & George.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    You sound rather grumpy. Me I rather enjoy the novels, in particular the way Rowling has used English to actual effect. It's fun to read the actual text, not just the storyline itself. Particularly the way she used stichomythia with Fred & George.
    Indeed, there is this delicate sensitivity to her English, don't really know to put it but she has a great sense of humor. It's lost in the movies imho but they are entertaining nonetheless. Casting is excellent especially, all perfect for their role. I will never get enough of Alan Rickman, fun actor