Thread: Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword [Postponed]

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Default Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword [Postponed]

Greetings, everyone!

This is an effort by me to create an enjoyable experience without actually creating a game at all!

More specifically, this is an interactive play-through of the game Fire Emblem, for the Game Boy Advance. It's a turn-based strategy RPG developed by Nintendo. The player controls a bunch of different units (each one representing a single character), tries to kill all the enemy's units with them, and above all tries to keep his own units alive- because if they die, they die permanently.

That's where you come in. I have the game, and I will post screenshots a plenty, but YOU will each control your own character. Though there is some room for competition, you must cooperate, strategize, and work together to survive.

Because I'm the only one with the game interface, and each previous move will affect the subsequent one, there will be a lot of back-and-forth between the players and me. Therefore, I've designed several "levels" of participation for players.

-3 "Principals"- These are players who have the time and desire to be active every day and to participate all the time. They will command the three Lord characters, Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector. They make overarching decisions regarding strategy, decide which units to bring and where to place them before the battle starts, and decide on a general order in which players move. Occasionally, they are allowed to cover for a missing player. The main thing they can't do is tell other players what to do- cooperation, discussion, and suggestion are encouraged, but each player has his own free will. One of these will be the lead principal (either Lyn in the first 10 chapters or Eliwood from then on). The other two will act as a second-in-command in case the lead principal has to be absent. If you tend to never stop posting in mafia games, or if you find yourself really interested in this game concept, this role is for you.

-10 "Regulars"- These are players who will play in nearly all of the game's 30+ chapters (if we make it that far). They are expected to participate, discuss, and make their moves, but they won't necessarily have to be there every single day, because I expect the game to move at a slow enough pace that they won't have to move every day. At the same time, they are the backbone of this game- without them, it can't run, because it's no fun to play with a GM and three players commanding other peoples' characters. If you tend to be an active poster in mafia games, this level is for you.

-Up to 5 "Extras"- There are some chapters (mostly in the late game) where as many as 18 units can be fielded. I also imagine there will be times when Regular or even Principal players go inactive. For that reason, I need a few people who can function as stand-in players. They may not play every chapter; they may not even play every two chapters, and there won't be a true necessity for them until Chapter 15. But if they find themselves having fun, in the late game they will likely become ascended Regulars. And they're free to participate in planning and discussion whenever they want. They're vital to keep the game running smoothly through unexpected hurdles. If you tend to be a lurker in mafia games, or if you're not sure how much time you can commit to this game, this level is for you.

You can choose whatever level you like, but please participate at the level expected if you do. Note: If you miss the sign-ups, you're free to jump in as an Extra at any time. Just shoot me a PM and you're good to go.

There will be another thread wherein I post a glossary as well as the progression of the adventure. For now, just worry about picking the character that you'll use for the first 10 Chapters of the game. For this section, Lyn is the lead Principal, and Eliwood and Hector do not appear- so I'd ask that those who want to play Eliwood or Hector for Chapter 11 onwards say so now, and you'll get to use either Rath or Wallace for this section (unless somebody else really wants them). Both the Eliwood and Hector players will still function as a stand-in for Lyn if she can't be around.

Character List (First Appearance):

Principal:
    Lyn - Lord (Prologue)
    Eliwood - Lord (Chapter 11)
    Hector - Lord (Chapter 12)

Regular:
    Kent - Cavalier (Chapter 1)
    Sain - Cavalier (Chapter 1)
    Florina - Pegasus Knight (Chapter 3) - autolycus
    Wil - Archer (Chapter 3)
    Dorcas - Fighter (Chapter 4)
    Serra - Cleric (Chapter 5)
    Erk - Mage (Chapter 5) - Thefluffyone93
    Rath - Nomad (Chapter 6)
    Matthew - Thief (Chapter 6)
    Nils - Bard (Chapter 7)
    Lucius - Monk (Chapter 7)
    Wallace - Knight (Chapter 9)

Sign-ups: (7/?)
    Secura
    White_eyes:D
    autolycus
    Askthepizzaguy [Extra]
    Warman
    bestrfcplayer
    Thefluffyone93

-------------------

Note that we're skipping the Prologue and Chapter 1. The game makes a point of forcing you to move to certain spots as part of a tutorial, which would defeat the purpose of this game if we played them. Instead, I'll play these chapters and post them as a sort of introduction to the basics. Then we can start promptly with Lyn, Kent, and Sain on Chapter 2, and pick up speed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm on a full-time work schedule, so I'm relegated to a few hours a day to play this game. It's vital that both you and I are online at the same time if this game is to proceed as fast as possible, so I'm letting you all know. During weekdays, I'll be around from 7:00 PM EST to 12:00 AM EST (That's 12:00 AM GMT to 5:00 AM GMT). On weekends, I'm around most of the day. I realize that this schedule is pretty inconvenient for most of my friends across the pond, but there's not much I can do about it. Sending me preliminary orders will certainly help, and I'd encourage you not to take the Principal level unless you're awake at that time anyway.

Just sign up right in this thread, and post the character you'd like to play. It'll be first-come, first-serve, but you're free to switch things around as you wish up until the start of the game. After Chapter 15, there are many more characters than players, and players will be able to switch to whatever is wanted or needed.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 07-19-2011 at 02:02.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Default Re: Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword [Sign-Ups]

I got really excited when I saw this, since the Fire Emblem games are one of the few strategy games I can actually play and I loved Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon... so you can count me in before the obligatory "where's Marth/Roy?" comment.

I think I'll be reading Serene Forest at work tomorrow. :3
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

I wouldn't mind playing as a Regular. A Principal would be ok too...I really played this to death back in the day.

You can count me in as a regular. I guess I'll claim Florina.
    My game on Civfanatics could use a few more!: MNOTW XVII: The Cursed Blade!

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I never played before, and I'm extremely busy.

However, I wish to support the ambitions of my fellow gameroom game hosts. I'll be an extra + replacement.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Hmm... if I can't get at least 10 players, there's no way I can start the game.

I'll leave it open for a few more days.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll guess I'm in.

Is their still room for this game???

Oh, there's plenty of room.

Too much room, in fact.

It may as well close unless this post sparks a massive spike in interest. (Wink, wink. Hint, hint.)

I will be Erk the mage!

What a funny name, Erk....
    Its like he was punched in the stomach and the sound he made became his name.....
    "They're just overloaded from the spamgasm."-Askthepizzaguy
    "... Either your as destructive as the most depraved 4 channer or so devious that you can cause the most trouble while acting utterly oblivious as to make us think your too dumb to be doing this intentionally... and the scary thing is I cant help but think the latter."-Greyblades
    "Thefluffyone is the greatest thing to happen to the .org since Beefy187."-Askthepizzaguy
    "TheFluffyOne makes me feel moist."-Askthepizzaguy

Quote Originally Posted by Thefluffyone93 View Post
    I will be Erk the mage!

What a funny name, Erk....
    Its like he was punched in the stomach and the sound he made became his name.....
    Actually, it's a pun. He tends to be easily annoyed.

Interesting concept, and I like the Fire Emblem games, but I don't think I can devote the necessary time to this one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post
    Interesting concept, and I like the Fire Emblem games, but I don't think I can devote the necessary time to this one right now.
    Don't feel bad, this game is pretty much dead, anyway.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd love to play this once it restarts. If we're still claiming characters, I'll take Kent ASAP.

Unfortunately, I'm now at college and no longer have any real time to host games. Sorry Cecil.

Mods can lock this thread if they want.

There is a (very) rare chance that I could bring this back, but it would be too far in the future for any sign-ups now.