Thread: Controlling unit groups

Default Controlling unit groups

If units start out far apart, it seems impossible to control them if you group them.

Even if you manually put them close together, they will revert back to old distance as soon as told to move.

is there a way to control this better, or is it now only possible to control individual units?
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Controlling unit groups

I am not sure what you mean.

Grouped units stay in the group. If you are moving two groups or more into the same region they may be separated in the region so that you can see the different groups clearly.

They can be grouped to gather so long as it is not more than 20 per group. Distances don’t matter if they are in the same region.

Does this answer the question or would you like to clarify?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I was a bit unclear.

I meant on the battlefield.

In previous games, when you grouped two units together, you could just press shift-1 to have them grouped up next to each other, but in Empire I do not seem to have found the option to handle groups in a efficient way on the battlefield - less than fiving individual orders to all 20 units, which takes a bit too much time.
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

OK, now I got it.

Yes I usually deploy each unit individually and then group them together. There is also a problem when changing direction with them, particularly facing about. They all seem to want different positions in the line than you select and an about-face is totally beyond their keen.

I have come close to losing battles while the units shifted their positions. It sure makes for a lot more casualties than need be.

It could have been done in a slightly better way.

A few times I have had trouble with spacing but not every time. If you change formations it often makes everything go to the winds.

Changing infantry to fire and advance is another one I just love. They extend their lines and shoot the other troops in the back of the head.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain