• Hierosolyma

38 35.51%
  • Other

27 25.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choose 19 Cities

Default Choose 19 Cities

This is for a little project I am working on which I hope to finish over the Christmas break. It is EB related and you will reap the fruit of my labour when I am finished. I can't tell you what it is I am working on, though whoever figures it out first will have their votes count double.

I need you to select 19 cities important for regional control and trade, mostly trade, out of the following list of 29. There is also an 'other' option for petitions to sway the vote. The poll will likely let you choose as many as you want, but I humbly request you to honourably only choose 19, accidental misclicks will be forgiven.

Sadly there are only 30 options in any poll, so please post your votes in a post afterwards, especially if you wish to enter another candidate in 'Other'.

Even though some of these names will be spelled differently or changed in EB2, I have retained the EB1 spelling to make sure I am not releasing any information before its intended release.

Thank you for your participation.
    Last edited by Tanit; 11-27-2010 at 05:45.

Default Re: Choose 19 Cities

Usually, on these sort of polls, I click on everything. However, I respect you a great deal, and have thus given an honest entry.

I guarantee you will be glad you did by Christmas. What was your preference for 'Other'?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Regional and trade eh?
    Maybe some sort of top tier system for the most important cities, or a government bonus for your own political system if you control those regions...

Yeah. I can only think that there will be bonuses for holding those cities.

I did like what RTR did with system for their AOE campaign. I thought it was very inventive and enjoyed the challenge.

Of course as much as I do, and always have from before EB was released, enjoy RTR it is no EB and a very different mod and I far prefer EB so no need to point out it is not as accurate ect.

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

Other: Eburonum (that's what the Boii's capital was called in EBI, right?)

Lost between books & coins Member DeathFinger's Avatar

Other: Patala, especially with the beginning of coastal trade between Arabian Gulf and Indus.

Edit: I've a bit of an idea of what it could be. Hope it will :p
    Last edited by DeathFinger; 11-27-2010 at 16:20.

Another 'other' for Eburonum. Trade from the north of the Alps into the Mediterranean isn't very well represented on the list. Probably because of the importance of eastern trade and the lack of big cities in the north I suppose.

Hmmm.... after doing a bit more research, I'm regretting my votes for Babylon and Persepolis. I would rather go with Hekatompylos for the Persian area, although I'm not sure what I would vote for instead of Babylon.

EDIT: If I could change my Babylon vote, it would go to Seleukia.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; 11-28-2010 at 18:10.
    from Megas Methuselah, for some information on Greek colonies in Iberia.

My "other" is for Eburonum as well. I mostly voted for the more remote cities. I'm guessing this is to determine which settlements (or regions) to release previews for.

i can´t remember it´s name but for other i would probably pick the one in armorica simply because it enables you to build the best ships in the game so if you´re a barbarian thats the only place where you can ever recruit a decent navy to fight off pirates and be a kind of threat (or at least have a fighting chance) against the mediterranean superpower with their quinquirreme so imho for a barbarian thats the most important region you can have when you consider the sea and thus control of all of the atlantic and baltic coast in the game

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

well, I spread them out as much as I could: almost all these cities mattered to some extent.
    I picked:

-cities along the "silk road" (Perso-Syrian side), since they are situated along a key cross-roads area between east and west. since you limited the choises to just 19, I couldn't bring in Chighu and similar cities.
    -Baktra, since it was a meeting point between central Asia, India, and Iran.
    -the areas along the frankinscence route (Ubar, Gerrha, Maryab, but not Petra*), since trade was important to the region, they exported stuff (Frankincense), and acted as a meeting point between Africa and the Med, and other parts of the world and Arabia itself.
    -the larger Mediterranean cities (Roma, Kart-Hadesht, Kyrene, Alexandreia), and the two obviously Gaulish cities. do I really need a reason?

*mostly because you said 19, not 20.

I think you need around 50 cities, spread out in accurate regions, to represent this better...whatever it is. Britain for example, is sorely underrepresented, as is Spain (I only see 1 city). and what of central germany? ok, they weren't a goldmine of trade, but they did have some importance. and of course the level of wealth will be gradad: some of these centers (e.g Antiocheia, Kart-Hadesht), will be FAR wealthier than smaller ones (e.g Maryab).
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 11-28-2010 at 08:00.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I voted for:

Syrakousai
    Alexandreia
    Kart-Hadast
    Petra
    Taksashila
    Hekatompylos
    Pantikapaion
    Rhodos
    Athenai
    Roma
    Massalia
    Maryab
    Baktra
    Numantia
    Bibracte
    Antiocheia

My "Other" choices are Gader, Charax and Seleukeia

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    i can´t remember it´s name but for other i would probably pick the one in armorica simply because it enables you to build the best ships in the game so if you´re a barbarian thats the only place where you can ever recruit a decent navy to fight off pirates and be a kind of threat (or at least have a fighting chance) against the mediterranean superpower with their quinquirreme so imho for a barbarian thats the most important region you can have when you consider the sea and thus control of all of the atlantic and baltic coast in the game
    Darioritum?

My other vote is for: Sardis.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    My "Other" choices are Gader, Charax and Seleukeia
    Yeah, given the time period we're talking about here, wouldn't Seleukia be a better choice to go on the poll than Babylon?
    from Megas Methuselah, for some information on Greek colonies in Iberia.

Muwahahaha! Soon you will see! Yes, soon you will see . . .

other:
    Leptis Magna
    Tyros
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit View Post
    This is for a little project I am working on which I hope to finish over the Christmas break. It is EB related and you will reap the fruit of my labour when I am finished. I can't tell you what it is I am working on, though whoever figures it out first will have their votes count double.

I need you to select 19 cities important for regional control and trade, mostly trade, out of the following list of 29. There is also an 'other' option for petitions to sway the vote. The poll will likely let you choose as many as you want, but I humbly request you to honourably only choose 19, accidental misclicks will be forgiven.

Sadly there are only 30 options in any poll, so please post your votes in a post afterwards, especially if you wish to enter another candidate in 'Other'.

Even though some of these names will be spelled differently or changed in EB2, I have retained the EB1 spelling to make sure I am not releasing any information before its intended release.

Thank you for your participation.
    so is this a city preview, and you are trying to show us how trade is going to be centered round certain economic powerhouses? if so, I suspect you're trying to model the aquisition or loss of thesecities, and the economic effect on the empires of EB.

I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Hehe, no ones is going to guess this one.

Barygaza though its really on map edge.

The question seems a bit open to interpretation though. The top trade centers, or top cities that were also trade centers? Because there were often important towns along trade routes or trade meeting places that were not cities in the sense of a definable identity.

Would be cool if control of a certain number of these places along a trade route gave extra "monopoly" bonus.

I need you to select 19 cities important for regional control and trade, , mostly trade
    So he wants important trade cities or important regional centers, with more preference given to the trade centers.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Will the most popular be given extra trade bonuses or be the only cities allowed to create merchants? I hope that's right, I want double votes
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

So far Ichon has come the closest, and that only towards the end, he kind of accidentally came upon it.

so you are working on some advanced economic system then?
    sounds rather intresting
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

So far Ichon has come the closest, and that only towards the end, he kind of accidentally came upon it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Would be cool if control of a certain number of these places along a trade route gave extra "monopoly" bonus.
    Are you working your way up to claiming that the hounds of Epirus were some kind of silver-haired terrier?

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Are you making something like trade routes that you want us to be able to control? Or more likely somehting where if you control enough trading cities you get a bonus of some sort. But if this were to happen it seems poorly thought out to ask a bunch of forum goers, you would get much better results with your own research. Therefore I suspect this is going to be a preview of trade and you are going to be showing how our favourite cities work in the new system...

Also my 'other' vote was originally going to be for the roman port ostia but I forgot I already picked rome. So feel free to disocunt my other vote or add your own favourite to it.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Other are: Gader, Ekbatana and Byzantion
    G

maybe cities that are able to upgrade something to a certain level others cannot? well that'd be the simplest possible use I can think of, so probably not the thing the EB-team is going to do^^
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

My other is Seleukia though I had forgotten about Gader. Feel free to discount 1 vote for Gergovia.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Well, it seems my last hint didn't help, I may have made this a little difficult. How about if I said that, while I have you voting for 19, the final number will be plus or minus 3? (Another hint: This may not be as complicated as you think)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast