I am playing Mori on Legendary and have had to bribe my neighbours into trading with me. However, recently a few of them started breaking the trade agreement and I have rebribe them to get it back. Well when I do my bribing I usually do something like 700 koku for say 20 turns making sure the amount I pay per turn is under how much I will earn from the trade. I assumed this also stopped them taking a lump sum and then giggling at me the next turn when they break the trade agreement. However, imagine my horror when I checked the Other mouse over in the Finance > Taxes and saw the payments spread over many turns still being paid the these stinking double crossing AIs!!!

I don't get why they get to break the trade agreement and still get my Koku, is there anyway I can stop this payment to them? Or do I have to wage war on them or something?

PS. I adore this legendary difficultly and is the main reason I purchased the game as the last title I got (Medieval 2) was too easy and very quickly became pointless to play. But this is something else as AI has got evil and sneaky and has kicked my butt several times already and I'm loving it :)