Thread: Einstein disproved, future exploration of the galaxy a possibility.

Lightbulb Einstein disproved, future exploration of the galaxy a possibility.

Faster than light particle discovered. Einstein rolling over in grave.
    Quote Originally Posted by CERN
    CERN says a neutrino beam fired from a particle accelerator near Geneva to a lab 454 miles (730 kilometers) away in Italy traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light. Scientists calculated the margin of error at just 10 nanoseconds, making the difference statistically significant. But given the enormous implications of the find, they still spent months checking and rechecking their results to make sure there was no flaws in the experiment.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1YiRbXWsO
    Personally, this is the best news I've heard in a long time. Humanity is one step closer to fulfilling my dreams that should never happen.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: Einstein disproved, future exploration of the galaxy a possibility.

That's nice!
    FTLs and Hyperdrives here we come :P

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

***** Apparantly I missed this topic and posted the same thing over again.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

No, Moros's thread was posted first. It just travelled faster than light and therefore went back in time, arriving later.

E=mc2ish
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

I think we might be little bit rushing things. First we're not sure yet if we're dealing with a systematic error, nor that the speed of light can be breached by all kinds of matter,... Even if true it certainly doesn't mean travelling faster than the speed of light is possible. It doesn't even mean travelling with the speed of light even will ever be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I think we might be little bit rushing things. First we're not sure yet if we're dealing with a systematic error, nor that the speed of light can be breached by all kinds of matter,... Even if true it certainly doesn't mean travelling faster than the speed of light is possible. It doesn't even mean travelling with the speed of light even will ever be possible.
    Aren't you the negative nancy :P
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Well still groundbreaking to discover something that should be impossible...

There's no discovery yet. It's merely an observation that needs to checked carefully first. If the observations do appear to be correct we have a fascinating observation. Then comes the hard part; who's good at math and has enough fantasy to make the story work.

Peer review, peer review, peer review.

Nothing to say until the community chimes in.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Tachyons.

Mass cannot go at the speed of light... Infinite energy required... But it doesn't stop things going at the speed of light like photons (which have momentum but no mass) and Tachyons which start beyond the light speed barrier and potentially intwined quantum particles.

What the little neutral ones (neutrino's) might break is the light barrier for particles with mass.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

This is very cool, very interesting to read. Although I do not have a strong background in physics, I found the article very simple and enjoyable...maybe that's the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    That's nice!
    FTLs and Hyperdrives here we come :P
    Yes yes yes!!!

All we need to do is find and defrost the Charon Relay near Pluto to get our space exploration up and running!
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Too early to pop the champagne. But warp drives would be nice.

Blog Entries

You know-- sometimes you get comfortable in thinking we can't go much farther and then something that could be absolutely shattering comes up and it makes you wonder how much farther you can go. It's like the Mongols discovering stirrups.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Peer review, peer review, peer review.

Nothing to say until the community chimes in.
    Exactly. It's still within certain boundaries of observational error.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

So how much longer before they discover the ruins on Mars now?

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Tachyons.

Mass cannot go at the speed of light... Infinite energy required... But it doesn't stop things going at the speed of light like photons (which have momentum but no mass) and Tachyons which start beyond the light speed barrier and potentially intwined quantum particles.

What the little neutral ones (neutrino's) might break is the light barrier for particles with mass.
    Tachyons are still a theoretical product though. They could exist according to the math, but there's no actual data on them (yet?).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Not nearly as quick as a DPT buggy after spotting an expired meter.
    Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1Ylt3vGgD

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

Perhaps the particles was commanded by scottie? "WARPSPEEED!" but in all seriousness this is prety cool

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

The bartender said 'We don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here'.

A neutrino walked into a bar.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy