Page 48 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 2594

Thread: Org Minecraft Server

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Org Minecraft Server

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Yep... it seems you can simply switch the pistons with the dropper where the piston chests are used.
    I'm not entirely sure about that yet. I've read a lot about the new devices, but I don't see a method of getting a placed block into a hopper. Blocks either have to be already in a container or 'dropped' into one. That means that placed blocks like cobblestone would still have to be 'broken' in some manner to make them drop before the hopper will take them in. In vanilla MC, that can only be done with TNT and creepers, and we've got creeper blast damage turned off which leaves only TNT. It might be possible to create some kind of automated TNT system if we create a proper mob farm to harvest gunpowder, but that itself would only be useful for cobblestone, as smoothstone won't drop with an explosion. It thus would not substitute for pistonchest completely, at least as I understand it. That said, it might be close enough to make it worthwhile.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

hmm...
    Ok.. I watched a few youtube "videos" on the 1.5 update.
    It seems the dropper "from what I was presented" only drops items into chests that it has stored in its internal dispenser like storage and can drop items to the ground where dispensers shoot them out.

edit:
    The updated wiki says this about the hopper:
    As of snapshot 13w02a the items fed from the hopper to the furnace will end on the slot nearest to the hopper (on top: ore slot, on sides: fuel slot) and hoppers under the furnace will only take finished products.

Time to make an automatic furnace.

On another note...
    Who is building @ 900 by 4400?
    Last edited by Sigurd; 01-18-2013 at 12:38.
    Status Emeritus

Yeah, the furnaces are one of the main reasons I'm going to have to remake my workshop. I'm starting to imagine lots of hidden furnaces that automatically process materials. Just drop raw iron ore off in one box and it gets moved and processed in a hidden furnace and then dumped into a finished iron chest. The same with all other types of smeltable items, including food... which means a separate kitchen. I also want to restock coal itself as easily as possible, which means an arrangement to funnel coal from as few chests as possible into all automated furnaces.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

including food... which means a separate kitchen
    machine processed food .... yuck !

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    machine processed food .... yuck !
    Now that I think of it... it should be possible to totally automate the process right from the cow/pig/chicken on down. I could create a pit with lots of cattle/pigs/chicken compressed into a single square. A button could be used to kill them in some way, maybe with a lava blade or something similar. When they die, they would drop their meat on the ground, which could be siphoned up by a hopper and then delivered into a furnace, which would cook it. It would then be sent to another hopper which would put it into a chest. The only player interactions required would be to breed more cattle/pigs/chickens manually and then press the kill button to send the meat into the production chute. The end result would be a chest full of cooked meat.

If it ever became possible for animals to breed after eating food dropped on the ground, it could be automated right from the wheat level. Hit a button to harvest a large wheat farm (or carrot or whatever). Water harvests crop and funnels it into a hopper which delivers it to droppers over the breeding area. Droppers then sprinkle the area with food, which the animals eat to breed. Automated killing process then takes over as per above.
    Last edited by TinCow; 01-18-2013 at 17:28.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

I like the look of the Nether Quartz blocks. Now there is a sturdy white block that isn't white wool, which I would hardly consider sturdy. My only concern was the abundance of it, but apparently it's as abundant as iron ore in the Overworld. Given that, it isn't as functional as cobblestone for building. I can't wish for too much. *sigh*. Better get back to using wool.

EDIT: In regards to the abbatoir idea, wouldn't cows drop leather and interfere with the hopper-furnace relationship? It might stay in the furnace, while all the meat is waiting for the leather to be smelted, which it can't. Maybe they can add a sifter that you can pre-configure to accept certain items and ignore the rest.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 01-19-2013 at 02:48.

Greetings Spanky-san,
    Thanks for showing me around your island, yesterday.
    I was really impressed by the castle and the temple you are building.
    Look forward to come by again sometime and see how the upper stores develop.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Old maps have been rotated. The previous ones are now gone. Here are two more:

November 21, 2011 Map
    December 5, 2011 Map
    @TinCow, I am done working with those maps, thanks.

Greetings Spanky-san,
    Thanks for showing me around your island, yesterday.
    I was really impressed by the castle and the temple you are building.
    Look forward to come by again sometime and see how the upper stores develop.
    No problem. I always show new people around my home. I highly doubt I'll get anything done on the upper storeys the next time you visit. I have no clue where I'm going with my castle, so I'm working on the interior a lot more.

December 15, 2011 Map
    December 29, 2011 Map

Note that I have begun skipping backups. If I posted every single one this process would take forever. The date spacing will get a bit larger from here on out. The most radical changes occurred in the first few months anyway, so I don't think as many maps are needed from this point onwards.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Now that I think of it... it should be possible to totally automate the process right from the cow/pig/chicken on down. I could create a pit with lots of cattle/pigs/chicken compressed into a single square. A button could be used to kill them in some way, maybe with a lava blade or something similar. When they die, they would drop their meat on the ground, which could be siphoned up by a hopper and then delivered into a furnace, which would cook it. It would then be sent to another hopper which would put it into a chest. The only player interactions required would be to breed more cattle/pigs/chickens manually and then press the kill button to send the meat into the production chute. The end result would be a chest full of cooked meat.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I'd love to see something like that built.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I really like the dispenser-spiderweb timer. And ingenious way to time something.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    If we had a larger community, we could have specialized in different trades. This example would have been someone specializing in butchery (butcher), and could bring chests full of meat and hides to the market.

I don't know if you guys ever visit the enderman farm, but all chests are brimming with ender pearls. Maybe there is a better location for storing them. Have any of you brought some to the n00b hotel?
    I primarily use the ender farm to repair my stuff.. as it has an anvil/crafting table/enchantment table w/full bookshelf cover and an easy access to fast XP. But it always generates a surplus of pearls. My chests at my castle are brimming with them.
    Status Emeritus

If we had a larger community, we could have specialized in different trades. This example would have been someone specializing in butchery (butcher), and could bring chests full of meat and hides to the market.

I don't know if you guys ever visit the enderman farm, but all chests are brimming with ender pearls. Maybe there is a better location for storing them. Have any of you brought some to the n00b hotel?
    I primarily use the ender farm to repair my stuff.. as it has an anvil/crafting table/enchantment table w/full bookshelf cover and an easy access to fast XP. But it always generates a surplus of pearls. My chests at my castle are brimming with them.
    To be honest, I tend to just keep one stack for myself and chuck the rest into the void. I feel guilty to be 'wasting' a resource, but it seems improbable that we'll be suffering from a shortage any time soon.

Does anybody know if there's been more information on when the redstone update will be released?

I am not even sure what I can do with them, but stocking some of them at the n00b hotel seems like a good idea

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I am not even sure what I can do with them, but stocking some of them at the n00b hotel seems like a good idea
    Yeah, I probably could use a couple of stacks whenever I manage to get on next....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Does anybody know if there's been more information on when the redstone update will be released?
    They originally estimated a release in Jan or Feb 2013. January is almost over and they don't have a final pre-release available yet, so I'm guessing sometime in February is likely. That said, they have a history of putting off updates. Bukkit was supposed to be integrated into Minecraft in 1.3, which came out in July. Here we are six months latter and it's not even going to be in 1.5.

Arghhh... I wish for a removal of the build-height limit.
    I want a space station

Status Emeritus

December 15, 2011 Map
    December 29, 2011 Map

Note that I have begun skipping backups. If I posted every single one this process would take forever. The date spacing will get a bit larger from here on out. The most radical changes occurred in the first few months anyway, so I don't think as many maps are needed from this point onwards.
    Thanks @TinCow, I have finished with my work on these.
    Increasing the spacing is fine. Actually, I had initially thought that we would only look at 1 map per month anyway. But you are probably the one who knows best, when the most intersting changes happened. So it is best for you to decide.

I had a very enlightening experience recently on Orgcraft.
    I finally discovered, that I can make charcoal from wood.
    Up to now I had been thinking that coal (and thereby torches) is a non-renewable resource and have been conserving them and living on the few ones I made from some coal I found in a mine.

Now I know that we can make as many torches as we like. This is making my life sooo much easier.

Up to now I had been thinking that coal (and thereby torches) is a non-renewable resource and have been conserving them and living on the few ones I made from some coal I found in a mine.

Now I know that we can make as many torches as we like. This is making my life sooo much easier.
    Step 1: Visit skeleton farm near the arena (or at TC's house)
    Step 2: Turn the bones into bonemeal, gather some jungle saplings
    Step 3: Use bonemeal to grow the saplings and TreeAssist to cut the trees down. You now have near-infinite wood (and by extension charcoal)

Man I love the TreeAssist plugin.

Heh... I did not know that
    Status Emeritus

I made a bit of a mess near the spawn point.

There were a few chicken who had gotten trapped in the currents of the water there.
    I tried to rescue them by building a construction of wood planks, fences and stairs in the water.
    This was at least somewhat successful and I managed to get 2 of the chicken out on dry land.

But when I wanted to tidy up and took the planks and stairs away, the water did not flow back to give a nice smooth surface again, but I was left with a whirling eddy in the lake.

Anyone know what I have to do to fix this?

Anyone know what I have to do to fix this?
    Used to be you could fix it by adding water blocks from buckets, but personally I've never managed to fix something like this completely. some flowing water blocks always remain somehow.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

It's a pretty easy fix. Just make the water one block deep and provide two adjacent water source blocks. That or just fill the entire area in and remove the blocks that have two adjacent source water blocks. Once the first layer is finished you can go as deep as you want.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Or you can just wait until the next patch, where they say they're going to fix that issue. If you do want to fix it with buckets of water, try working your way in from the farther blocks, which seems to work fairly consistently (and make sure you have a permanent water source nearby! )

Just make a checkered pattern with any block at water level. Fill out any gaps until they become still water. Then remove blocks. Easy.

Thanks guys, I got it fixed.

Learned a lot about the way water works in minecraft in the process - mostly quite logical, but some things are really interesting. Like beeing able to carry an infinite water supply in two buckets

Does anybody know for sure if hostile mobs can spawn on top of trees? I did a quick google of this and didn't turn up anything definitive, so I figured I'd turn it over to you guys.

Does anybody know for sure if hostile mobs can spawn on top of trees? I did a quick google of this and didn't turn up anything definitive, so I figured I'd turn it over to you guys.
    I don't think so. I think it's got to do with the leaf block ID making it different from other blocks. Leaves are partially transparent, and mobs don't spawn on transparent blocks.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

What Spanky said. They can spawn in the air, so it might be possible for them to spawn on top of a tree. I don't think it would be very likely though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Yes and no. They cannot spawn on transparent blocks, which includes leaf blocks. However, they can spawn on wood blocks like the trunks of trees. So, it will be rare for mobs to spawn in trees due to the fact that most of the top of the tree will be leaves, but it is theoretically possible and it does happen.

Page 48 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast