Page 49 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2594

Thread: Org Minecraft Server

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

Default Re: Org Minecraft Server

After the shift to Normal difficulty, MobArena has become insanely difficult. I couldn't get past level 6. Those witches destroy me with their poison. Anyone else have difficulty with MobArena?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    After the shift to Normal difficulty, MobArena has become insanely difficult. I couldn't get past level 6. Those witches destroy me with their poison. Anyone else have difficulty with MobArena?
    I never could get past the zombie-pigmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I'll see if I can tone it down a bit. Keep in mind that it is much easier when you play with others.

Travelling Knight Senior Member Nigel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Yes and no. They cannot spawn on transparent blocks, which includes leaf blocks.
    Just to be sure: does that mean that mobs will never spawn in or above water?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Just to be sure: does that mean that mobs will never spawn in or above water?
    Only squid can spawn in water. Nothing can spawn on water.

Old maps have been rotated. Unfortunately, after December 2011 we get into the period when I had backup-itis which contributed to the problem we had with the arena getting wiped when the map format changed. There is a backup from January 12, 2012 but it has issues and doesn't render well as a map. After that, the next backup I have is from April, so I've had to skip January, February, and March 2012. Sorry about that. As the backups are getting much larger in size now I have reduced the old maps to a simple day render instead of the triple renders. These maps have to be uploaded in their entirety, instead of just updated images, so triple render uploads would be taking several hours now. Reducing them to the day render only keeps the maps manageable.

April 2, 2012 Map
    May 1, 2012 Map

Old maps have been rotated. Unfortunately, after December 2011 we get into the period when I had backup-itis which contributed to the problem we had with the arena getting wiped when the map format changed. There is a backup from January 12, 2012 but it has issues and doesn't render well as a map. After that, the next backup I have is from April, so I've had to skip January, February, and March 2012. Sorry about that. As the backups are getting much larger in size now I have reduced the old maps to a simple day render instead of the triple renders. These maps have to be uploaded in their entirety, instead of just updated images, so triple render uploads would be taking several hours now. Reducing them to the day render only keeps the maps manageable.

April 2, 2012 Map
    May 1, 2012 Map
    I just realised something. On these maps, my old snowy forest area is not snowy. Did something happen to make it snow?

I just realised something. On these maps, my old snowy forest area is not snowy. Did something happen to make it snow?
    Yes. Early minecraft went through a lot of map changes. These includes changes to the way biomes were generated. They moved as the world seed moved, which resulted in biome weather changing where it shouldn't have. That's why we ended up with snow in Vlad's first desert area and in other odd places, like near the Arena. After a few months a tool came out that allowed me to manually edit the biomes. When that happened I went over the map and fixed as many of the biome errors as I could find, setting them to the proper biomes which corresponded to the way the map was created, rather than the way the seed would generate under the current map format.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

My guess would be that your area was re-generated in the new map...
    As you can see... the land where my castle is today, does not exist on these maps.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    My guess would be that your area was re-generated in the new map...
    As you can see... the land where my castle is today, does not exist on these maps.
    No, that section wasn't regenerated, it was just a biome edit. You can see a rough sketch of what eventually got deleted in the attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapedit.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	8568  

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

No, that section wasn't regenerated, it was just a biome edit. You can see a rough sketch of what eventually got deleted in the attached image.
    And that was a brilliant idea that precluded a lot of the notorious Cliffs of Mojang, as you put it. One positive side effect of the shifting is that I have a surplus of snow. Even though we're regenerating the Nether soon it makes for some interesting design possibilities. Since slow blocks don't melt you can have them all over the Nether. I already have some new ideas for Nether fortresses.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am both dreading and looking forward to the regeneration of the Nether. I'm going to have to study the new update very thoroughly.

EDIT:

This is what I'm very excited about.

Smelting of Netherrack

Redstone Block

Nether Quartz

The Hopper/Dropper
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 02-14-2013 at 03:56.

Nether Quartz is the big one IMO. It looks like that will be just as awesome as sandstone for decorative construction.

Nether Quartz is the big one IMO. It looks like that will be just as awesome as sandstone for decorative construction.
    I'm looking forward to it because it's a more sturdy white block than wool.

When the server changed difficulty, did it also change the number of enchantments that are put on a tool/weapon?

When we were on easy, I made a Level 30 Diamond Sword with 4 powerful enchantments. I made a new sword, and it only has 2 mediocre enchantments. So, I thought that the difficulty change also affects enchanting. Is this right?

No, difficulty does not impact enchantments. The enchanting system has some randomness built into it, so you can spend 10 levels and get an awesome item or spend 30 and get a mediocre item. Higher levels increase the likelihood of getting more powerful stuff, but it's not certain. It's always been like that. However, we've now got the Anvil, so those poor enchantments aren't useless. Keep them and combine them with other less than perfect enchantments to make better items.

When the server changed difficulty, did it also change the number of enchantments that are put on a tool/weapon?

When we were on easy, I made a Level 30 Diamond Sword with 4 powerful enchantments. I made a new sword, and it only has 2 mediocre enchantments. So, I thought that the difficulty change also affects enchanting. Is this right?
    I've always found this graph handy to get a rough idea of what enchantments you might get (for tools).

I've done a long-needed update to the server files. Every single plugin has been updated to the most recent version. In addition, I've added an automated backup system as well. If it's working properly, it should automatically backup all world files every morning at 2am my time (EST), followed by a cleanup of backups that are more than one week old at 3am. I have also changed the server restart to only occur once per day, at 4am. This is a brand new system and it's possible I have not configured it properly. Considering the large number of plugin changes, please keep your eyes open for anything unusual about the game, whether it's in the world itself or from server performance.

Once the automated backup system is stable, I plan on trying to automate the map update as well to increase its frequency and eliminate the manual labor for me.

Looks like Tree Assist is not working anymore now....
    That was one really useful plugin.

I plan on trying to automate the map update as well to .... eliminate the manual labor for me.
    That is certainly a good thing. Hope you will get it to work. We sure are grateful for all the admin work you are doing to keep this world afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Looks like Tree Assist is not working anymore now....
    That was one really useful plugin.
    Fixed.

If anyone wonders what is happening at my site... I am trying to build a replica of a castle called Marienburg.
    I am of course not the originator of the minecraft version and am building it based on blue-prints from someone who made the entire castle in minecraft, but with my own small changes. I am only building the front part..

The castle is real and here are some pics of it:

It's kinda larger of what I perceive is normal for minecraft, but that is because the bigger you build the better you can make the details.
    Also my Norwegian flag on the hill behind the castle is true to the measurements of such flags. It is actually the smallest one can build in minecraft as the white is 1 to the ratio of the other colours. (6 red - 1 white - 2 blue - 1 white - 12 red)

The original interior of this castle is just amazing, and there is no way I can do it justice - so expect a boring plain interior.
    Status Emeritus

Member thankful for this post:

Nigel 

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    If anyone wonders what is happening at my site... I am trying to build a replica of a castle called Marienburg.
    I am of course not the originator of the minecraft version and am building it based on blue-prints from someone who made the entire castle in minecraft, but with my own small changes. I am only building the front part..

The castle is real and here are some pics of it:

It's kinda larger of what I perceive is normal for minecraft, but that is because the bigger you build the better you can make the details.
    Also my Norwegian flag on the hill behind the castle is true to the measurements of such flags. It is actually the smallest one can build in minecraft as the white is 1 to the ratio of the other colours. (6 red - 1 white - 2 blue - 1 white - 12 red)

The original interior of this castle is just amazing, and there is no way I can do it justice - so expect a boring plain interior.
    Your house is easily one of the best looking buildings on this server.

Your house is easily one of the best looking buildings on this server.
    Without a doubt. I haven't been out there since you started the remodeling, but on the map it's more impressive than the Arena itself.

FYI, the backup system appears to be working perfectly. It looks like the backup process takes 3-4 minutes. I haven't been online while it was doing a backup, but I suspect it'll lag a bit during that time. In addition, when I automate the map generation, I expect that to cause some significant lag on the server. I would expect the map generation to run a bit after the backup takes place, which is currently 2am EST (GMT - 5). Is anyone likely to be online during the 2am to 3am EST window? If so, what times are you not likely to be on? I'd like to find the period of least activity to schedule potentially lag-inducing activities.

That would be about 8 am my time... doubt I will be online then. I'm usually on my way to drop off the kids on weekdays, and weekends and holidays, I would still be snoozing.
    I am usually online evenings my time GMT+1

I don't know about best looking...
    Status Emeritus

That time is fine for me - highly unlikely that I will be on that early in the morning.
    You could have the server send a message when the map upload occurs - just to let anyone know what is happening. But dont bother if it is difficult to do, as it is harldy going to be seen by anyone.

oh - and Sigurd - no doubt about best looking.
    I have been following the progress on the map for some time and it is really impressive. Still have to come and visit one day.
    Last edited by Nigel; 02-18-2013 at 22:36.

6pm for me, but I'm normally on a bit later than that, so all good over here.

I have been "on top of the world" today.

A very interesting building in our city area. A huge tower with a platform made of glass.
    This building is so high, you are just above the clouds if you climb the stairs.

It is actually so high, that it took me almost a full day to climb the stair. So when I arrived at the top it was the middle of the night. As a reward I saw the most spectacular sunrise I have ever seen on Minecraft.

Does anyone know who build this spectacular building?

I'm reasonably certain that was built by therother. It's definitely got a great view of the 'central' area of the server.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

So, two more weeks until 1.5?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I started playing Minecraft a week ago. OMG its like running around as Indiana Jones in Legoland crossed with being in the Mines of Moria... with Zombies!

I'm playing survivor and I started in a water area with a tiny island with 2 trees on it. Made smaller by the fact the one hill on it was hollow and filled with a pond beneath and the 2/3 of the flat part of the island had another pond.

Creepers started spawning on it and the only way I could preserve the tiny land mass I had was by dumping my few belongings and getting the Creepers to float out and explode in the water. It was like chewing on hand grenades.

In short order lit up the island, have oaks covering it. Have an underwater 6x6x6 cube of glass I can fish from and watch the sunset. I can see through the bottom of the glass cube beneath me to a lava lake I found as I created it.

Got really lucky earlier on and found a potato! Which is now many, many more. I've since left the tiny island and found much bigger ones and have crafted my first enchantment table... which I'm yet to use as I'm created a well guarded island to place the table onto.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Page 49 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast