Page 57 of 87 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2594

Thread: Org Minecraft Server

Default Re: Org Minecraft Server

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I like the way this is taking: away from a strictly rectangular to a more organically grown street system (I guess I am just an old European). Keeping some main roads as straight axis (boulevards) and then allowing for some more irregular backstreets or roads following the layout of the rivers or mountains (hmmm... London, Paris, Rome, ....)

About the area around the Arena, I never understood how the old light sensor worked anyway.
    But dont take the skeleton farm down just yet. It is so far my only way to recover my xp - I have yet to try out and get the hang of arena fighting. But yes, I am sure we can do something really nice with that area eventually.
    Have you checked out Sigurd's Enderman farm yet? I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's ten times as fast.

With regards to the city, everybody seems to have good taste and I'm more than happy to run with the public consensus. My current project is close to completion, and after that I can devote time to helping out with infrastructure, if there's a semi-detailed plan in place by then.

EDIT: Oops. Never mind, nothing to see here....
    Last edited by Ishmael; 04-17-2013 at 22:16.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

I have a few ideas on some of the buildings, even if we're not up to it yet.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What do you guys think? Should we have similar architecture throughout the city, or sporadic and completely different (like an office building next to a medieval blacksmith)?

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

It might be hard to make an entirely uniform city given the buildings that currently exist. However, we could easily make separate neighborhoods with different styles in each. For example, we could have an 'old town' area which was more medieval in design, perhaps surrounded by an old wall, and the more modern areas around that.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I agree with TinCow, we should designate different sections with certain types of architecture. If that makes any sense.

I've been meaning to ask what texture packs people use if any? I've spent some time looking for something, but haven't found anything I really like. Does anyone have a suggestion?

spanky that windmill looks amazing btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I agree with TinCow, we should designate different sections with certain types of architecture. If that makes any sense.

I've been meaning to ask what texture packs people use if any? I've spent some time looking for something, but haven't found anything I really like. Does anyone have a suggestion?

spanky that windmill looks amazing btw.
    That windmill is my favourite one. I think the different sections need to be fairly large. No point having only 3 buildings in the same style.

Here are some architectural designs I've thought of implementing.

1) Medieval

2) Roman (near the Arena)

3) Greek

4) Nordic (Skyrim-esque buildings)

For the texture packs, I don't use any since I'm very nit-picky about certain details.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 04-18-2013 at 03:32.

Double post (my edit button stopped working)

Here's another excellent windmill.

EDIT: It works now.

I found the greatest YouTube tutorial guy ever. I put some of the highlights in this playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eature=mh_lolz
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 04-18-2013 at 03:58.

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    Double post (my edit button stopped working)

Here's another excellent windmill.

EDIT: It works now.

I found the greatest YouTube tutorial guy ever. I put some of the highlights in this playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eature=mh_lolz
    Nice. I'll have to implement one of his fountains somewhere - I love designs that utilise water.

I have a much simpler proposal to solve the EnderHome problem that doesn't involve adding any new plugins or making any elaborate systems, all I have to do is make some changes to a plugin we're already running (Essentials). First, I would remove EnderHome completely. Then I would give everyone the ability to use /home through the console, so that the same feature is available, but doesn't go through the buggy plugin or require a pearl. I then alter the Essentials config to add a cooldown and a delay to the use of the /home command. The cooldown is the time you must wait to use /home after each use. It could be set to 30 minutes or something similar, which would restrict its use to more significant travel and reduce its use as a minor convenience thing that people use constantly. The delay is the amount of time that you passes after you enter the command before the teleport happens. The teleport will abort if you move or are attacked in that time. I would set this to something like 5 seconds. Doing this would stop /home from being used to save yourself from death by lava or other such nastiness and would restrict it to travel from one safe location to another. This seems relatively balanced and fair to me, while still allowing us all to keep the convenience of the /home command.

Thoughts?

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    I have a much simpler proposal to solve the EnderHome problem that doesn't involve adding any new plugins or making any elaborate systems, all I have to do is make some changes to a plugin we're already running (Essentials). First, I would remove EnderHome completely. Then I would give everyone the ability to use /home through the console, so that the same feature is available, but doesn't go through the buggy plugin or require a pearl. I then alter the Essentials config to add a cooldown and a delay to the use of the /home command. The cooldown is the time you must wait to use /home after each use. It could be set to 30 minutes or something similar, which would restrict its use to more significant travel and reduce its use as a minor convenience thing that people use constantly. The delay is the amount of time that you passes after you enter the command before the teleport happens. The teleport will abort if you move or are attacked in that time. I would set this to something like 5 seconds. Doing this would stop /home from being used to save yourself from death by lava or other such nastiness and would restrict it to travel from one safe location to another. This seems relatively balanced and fair to me, while still allowing us all to keep the convenience of the /home command.

Thoughts?
    I have no problem with the cool down but the delay could be annoying even in nonemergency situations.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I have no problem with the cool down but the delay could be annoying even in nonemergency situations.
    Why would 5 seconds be an issue?

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

To be honest, I have been guity of holding an EnderPearl in my hand when entering a dangerous ara (yes, you may say "chicken" now).

Having the /home option as a quick escape from an attack has been a big comfort of mind. But I agree, it is kind of cheap and more fair to get rid of that aspect somehow even if it takes a toll on Nigel's nerves and adds a few more grey hairs to his head.

Does anyone have sand/gravel they'd like to trade? I'd prefer not mar the landscape anymore than I have too.

I have more gravel than I need - not huge quantities but maybe 1 or 2 stacks.

Could use some string, or some coloured wool.

I will put a little box in front of my house for the exchange at your convenience.

Oh - and those windmills are awesome. Do the wheels turn?
    Actually, is there any way to create a turning motion in MineCraft physics?
    Last edited by Nigel; 04-18-2013 at 20:57.

The first snapshot for 1.6 is now out. Here are some of the upcoming features:
    Horses
    Horse Armor
    Horse Saddles
    Hay Bales
    Leashes
    Carpet

The first snapshot for 1.6 is now out. Here are some of the upcoming features:
    Horses
    Horse Armor
    Horse Saddles
    Hay Bales
    Leashes
    Carpet
    Sweet! Horses are nice (I love animals), and carpet is a very welcome inclusion.

I'll be having nightmares about creepers tonight - I went exploring a massive cave system which seemed to be entirely made of ledges, each with a creeper waiting to drop down in ambush as soon as my back was turned. I also saw my first bats on this server in there - I hadn't actually realised that they were still in the game, rather than just being a one-off halloween thing.

I did manage to get two stacks of iron out of it, which should help with the rail line I'm building between my places. In relation to which, @spankythehippo; is the structure of your mob grinder pretty much finished, and if so would you mind if I run a rail line over to it? It should make a nice mid-way stop for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I'll be having nightmares about creepers tonight - I went exploring a massive cave system which seemed to be entirely made of ledges, each with a creeper waiting to drop down in ambush as soon as my back was turned. I also saw my first bats on this server in there - I hadn't actually realised that they were still in the game, rather than just being a one-off halloween thing.

I did manage to get two stacks of iron out of it, which should help with the rail line I'm building between my places. In relation to which, @spankythehippo; is the structure of your mob grinder pretty much finished, and if so would you mind if I run a rail line over to it? It should make a nice mid-way stop for the trip.
    The mob grinder is almost finished. It still works, but the redstone part hasn't been done yet. Things still spawn and drop, albeit at a much slower rate than with the redstone. I still got several stacks of gunpowder from it, so the speed is decent.

Making a rail line there would be fine by me. I have a portal there, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get to.

The mob grinder is almost finished. It still works, but the redstone part hasn't been done yet. Things still spawn and drop, albeit at a much slower rate than with the redstone. I still got several stacks of gunpowder from it, so the speed is decent.

Making a rail line there would be fine by me. I have a portal there, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get to.
    The Nether is definitely the most efficient way to get there, but I still quite like having the option to go by rail. It's nice sometimes to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery.

I'll be running two lines in off the bat and most likely a third later (to the main network hub, probably via the Noob Hotel), so is it all right if I put a station in by the platform that you stand on? It would save having to climb all the way up (I'd try not to make it look too ugly ).

The Nether is definitely the most efficient way to get there, but I still quite like having the option to go by rail. It's nice sometimes to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery.

I'll be running two lines in off the bat and most likely a third later (to the main network hub, probably via the Noob Hotel), so is it all right if I put a station in by the platform that you stand on? It would save having to climb all the way up (I'd try not to make it look too ugly ).

You can do whatever you feel is necessary. Bear in mind, however, that I will be making drastic changes to the overall look of the grinder i.e. the storage area and the portal room. So, it would be best if you kept it simple and I can make adjustments to the positioning if required.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 04-19-2013 at 14:37.

FYI, lag is exceptionally bad on the server at the moment. As far as I can tell it's a network issue and there's nothing I can do about it. Hopefully it will resolve on its own soon.

You can do whatever you feel is necessary. Bear in mind, however, that I will be making drastic changes to the overall look of the grinder i.e. the storage area and the portal room. So, it would be best if you kept it simple and I can make adjustments to the positioning if required.
    Okay, I'll just run a line over for now and work out the station later.

EDIT: Dynmap seems to be having a bit of a problem for me - it's constantly refreshing the map, so that you can't actually see anything (or see who is on). Is anybody else experiencing this?

Never mind, it looks like it was just my shoddy internet playing up again.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 04-20-2013 at 08:46.

Now that the city idea is gathering momentum I'm thinking I might build a farm, (strongly) inspired by spanky's post earlier up the page. Actually building it shouldn't be too hard, but I'm not sure where to build it as I don't want to disrupt the city layout. I'd like it to be next to a river, both so that I can connect irrigation channels to it and in case I want to add a waterwheel to the mill. I've picked out three potential locations:

Location A has the advantage of being right next to a nice river, having reasonably flat ground and being close to where the town will be, but that could also be a negative if it gets in the way. Locations B and C are a bit further out of the way, and are not on quite as nice rivers, but they could still definitely work (of these latter two, I prefer C). Any opinions?

Also, if anybody has spare iron lying about I'm willing to trade it for emeralds, diamonds, coal, redstone or mossy cobble. From my rough estimate I'll need around 15 stacks to link up everywhere I want to connect by rail (in addition to the 15 or so that I've already used), so any contribution is welcome .

It depends on how large the farm will be. If it would be no larger than the size of those boxes, I'd say go for A. I'm sure we can fit it into the city.

I may have some iron you can have.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Now that the city idea is gathering momentum I'm thinking I might build a farm, (strongly) inspired by spanky's post earlier up the page. Actually building it shouldn't be too hard, but I'm not sure where to build it as I don't want to disrupt the city layout. I'd like it to be next to a river, both so that I can connect irrigation channels to it and in case I want to add a waterwheel to the mill. I've picked out three potential locations:

Location A has the advantage of being right next to a nice river, having reasonably flat ground and being close to where the town will be, but that could also be a negative if it gets in the way. Locations B and C are a bit further out of the way, and are not on quite as nice rivers, but they could still definitely work (of these latter two, I prefer C). Any opinions?

Also, if anybody has spare iron lying about I'm willing to trade it for emeralds, diamonds, coal, redstone or mossy cobble. From my rough estimate I'll need around 15 stacks to link up everywhere I want to connect by rail (in addition to the 15 or so that I've already used), so any contribution is welcome .
    You can go around to my villages and take up to half of my supply of rail if you like.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Ishmael, if you settle for A we will be neighbours.

You are most wellcome and I am happy to give you a hand with the farm. Especially, if you allow me to use it occasionally

Thanks guys! I might just take you up on your offers.

It depends on how large the farm will be. If it would be no larger than the size of those boxes, I'd say go for A. I'm sure we can fit it into the city.
    I may have some iron you can have.
    It would probably be around the size of A, or perhaps a bit smaller. I'd probably build the wind/watermill first and then see what scale worked best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    You can go around to my villages and take up to half of my supply of rail if you like.
    This would be a great help. Even with exploring caves, it takes absolutely forever to gather sizable quantities of iron. If only it were affected by the fortune enchantment....

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Ishmael, if you settle for A we will be neighbours.

You are most wellcome and I am happy to give you a hand with the farm. Especially, if you allow me to use it occasionally
    Thank you. I will give fair warning though, the farm will likely not be automated much, if at all, since I'll be going for the 'traditional' feel. There still should be enough wheat to last you a year, though, although replanting will be a pain.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Right...

So nothing specific decided on the area around n00bHotel and the assembly hall?
    IMO I think it would be nice to have a dense common area on the flat terrain around the assembly hall (can't remember what it is called ingame). Our town houses could be built in the back-ground. A nice plaza outside the hall with buildings around adopting the brick of the hall and similar modernity.
    If you want an old-town it should be removed from the hall as that is pretty modern looking.
    Modernity calls for grid blocks... You can build housing with alleys leading into backyard plazas in the middle of the city blocks. And the straight roads existing already in the area calls for continuation of like-wise planned road work (just saying).

If we could establish the main plaza and the start of a few blocks around the hall, I could start on designs for the shops, which could be further adapted to suit your own particular taste.
    Status Emeritus

I've got about 8 stacks of normal rails and 3 stacks of powered rails just tell me where you want me to put them.

Page 57 of 87 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast