Thread: Thread Necro-ing

Default Thread Necro-ing

So I am a bit disappointed right now because I have gotten three infraction points for thread necro-ing and now i can't follow along in the backroom reading the abortion thread, which has been really interesting to read (especially the comments between PVC and Nowake). Now, I understand that some of the necro-ing wa spammy but I have two complaints:

A. One point per thread (I necro'd three threads) is a bit excessive.
    B. Some of those necro's were imo, legit. And I don't think that just because the thread is old makes necro-ing a punishable offense.

Take for example the one I brought up about Phil and his thread about getting his swimmers counted, when I came across that, I saw there was no closure to the thread. I felt it was legitimate to bring it back and ask, oh hey, did you succeed in having a child? If I had made a new thread about it, asking Phil for an update I would inevitably have to link the old thread so that people could understand the context, which makes the new thread redundant.

Also, the one about which year would you like to be born in. I don't see why it is a problem if the thread is old. If it is a fun question, what does it matter if the last post was from a while ago. I don't understand the logic. If the soccer thread for some reason got no posts in it for 8 months and then some necro'd it saying, "oh yeah, great game between spain and france!" would that be punishable? Should he have made a new soccer thread?

Just seems silly that three threads which isn't pushing anything important out of the frontroom is worth a 72 hour temp ban.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thread Necro-ing

You want an honest reply? If you was going to move on into in the Backroom, I was going to do something similar, an infraction and a stern warning on the first post and then an infraction on any other threads you decided to raise from the dead and let loose a plague of zombies upon the forums.

What you fail to note that over the last couple of weeks, you have necro'd at least a dozen threads all over the forum, including the entrance hall and other areas. You have been repeatedly warned about this behaviour from moderators and members of the staff team.

If you remember your last topic in here. You was eager to start probing other random areas for your amusement, last I heard, none of the tech admins have recieved a private message with your list of cool tricks and hints to help out those in the Spartan: Total War community. However, I presume your necromancy has something to do with trying to revive long lost fans of the series to draw attention to your works and contributions.

Regardless, it seems the moderator who gave out the infractions knew of your past warnings and notices about this behaviour and decided to simply give an infraction per topic which triggered a temporary ban when that number happened to be three.

Whilst you may express as yourself as being a wronged innocent virgin maiden with the best of intentions, you are an evil cultist of the old religion in disguise, an agent of Morgana and the Scourge, tasked with letting loose the plague of zombies upon the forum, confusing new and old members alike. Askthepizzaguy is already barricading the Gameroom and loading up on WIFOM's in defense in such a crises whilst the Backroom moderator team is firmly locking its closet of skeletons.

Only way you may redeem yourself is to give up in your worshipping of these foreign agents. Either way, you are now officially dead for 72 hours; you will be resurrected by one of our resident evil ones after this time period.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-05-2011 at 03:23.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Well, as long as this punishment has been consistent for everyone, I have no problem with it. Give my regards to the evil ones.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If let's say you was "Beskar" and the same acts occurred, he would have got the same exact treatment. The more heavy handed nature was because you was warned previously about this issue and decided to continue.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

My point though is that some of the necro's shouldnt be punished because of the reasons I gave in my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    My point though is that some of the necro's shouldnt be punished because of the reasons I gave in my OP.

That's what I thought as well, but when the previous necroing of yours was pointed out, afterwards I was more convinced you were just trying to flood us all in zombies.
    It's a bit like the kid crying zombie, after a dozen times it's harder to believe it even if there is a zombie around.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    There's also no apostrophe in plural!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Allthough I agree that sometimes, it can be ok to revive an old thread if there's really something interesting to add to the question (e.g. the patch thread you necro'd in the EH; your post was not ok; if however, you would have linked to an update from CA on the matter, it would have been ok).

It goes without saying that if you go around the forum necro-ing all kinds of threads, most of it in a very spammy way, that eventually, you'll end up getting infractions for whichever thread you decide to necro

The ritual of necromancing threads is very dangerous. Before you know it, your avatar will turn into a skeleton and your custom user title changed in "Necrophiliac Demon of Yalaha" and then we'll have to hand out shotguns to all our other patrons.

We can't have everybody running around here either sucking brains or waving around loaded shotguns, now can we?

I hope that the evil ones won't make any mistakes in the ritual to revive your account after three days
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Dead thread revival with silliness = no. New thread with relevant silliness to new topic = yes. I may have been impulsive but three revivals of old threads that could have been started anew (topics were different with passage of time) would have been better. Not to mention, the dead threads brought up some foul smells from the bowels of the org. However, if a girl thread had been revived, I would have acted differently. ;)

Anyway, I admit I may have been too impulsive and poor in my judgement. Let us wait for the whim of said evil ones.

Sorry, but I have been preoccupied as of late (RIP poo poo) and I think my judgements might wear a tad bit of rust.
    Silence is beautiful

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

ACIN, I believe you're just hiding behind the 'legitimate' necros. Sure certain threads, on their own, can be revived and you would've gotten away with it. However, using a few of those as an excuse for multiple necros just doesn't work.
    Besides if you really wanted closure on my (mis)adventures, you could've PMed instead, not everyone wants to be confronted with things from their past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Ever hear of just Private Messaging someone?