Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread!

Default Re: offical Elder scrolls V: skyrim thread!

Even the though that this is a "quick fix" is such male bovine excrement it boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II View Post
    This proves consoles have killed the days of truely epic gaming, I don't care if arena was generic it was still an epic game. The elder scrolls started on PC and should stay primary for PC and console second, what they are doing now, as in basically making a console game and then porting it to PC just does not do any justice to the series at all.
    These days not making an Xbox game and porting it to the PC and Playstation (which is the norm btw) is financial suicide for a game like the ES. That costs tens of millions and thousands of man hours over 5 years to develop. Console games out sell PC games 1000 to 1. The PC on it's own is not a cost effective platform anymore for anything beyond more-pigs.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

30 minutes until I can activate it... Even though it broke street date in Australia, I can't play it because of Steam...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Greed works. Greed is good.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    These days not making an Xbox game and porting it to the PC and Playstation (which is the norm btw) is financial suicide for a game like the ES. That costs tens of millions and thousands of man hours over 5 years to develop. Console games out sell PC games 1000 to 1. The PC on it's own is not a cost effective platform anymore for anything beyond more-pigs.
    Battlefield would beg to differ.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    It is as much a sell-out as the next.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I have this massive backlog of games I have yet to play, so I think I'll wait this one out.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

30 minutes until I can activate it... Even though it broke street date in Australia, I can't play it because of Steam...
    Argh, I just got my despatch notice from Amazon. Delivery is to work, it had better arrive tomorrow or I will be going spare all weekend!

Which is an Xbox game ported to the PC, for the main series anyway. Yeah just checked. Battlefield Vietnam was the PC developed game in the series.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

You need to count again. The main quest has like 40-50 quests. If you count the ones that have a dozen sub-quests (I'm looking at you allies for Bruma). The Fighters guild and Mages guild goes almost that high (~35). The Dark brotherhood and the Thieves guild clock in at about 30 each. The arena has 3 fights per rank until the Grand championship (I'm counting each one as a quest as your given the fight by an NPC and paid after you win). Seeing as there are 8 ranks under Grand Champion that's 24, so 25 with GC. Each city (minus Kvatch with 1) has and average of 6 side quests. There are 20 Daedric quests. Maybe a dozen settlement quests. And lastly Freeform quests (which are usually finding the quest item and tracking down the quest giver). So yeah 200 quests in Oblivion is not an exaggeration. With all the DLC is probably gets up to 250.
    Meh, each arena fight counts as a quest? Laughable.

Anyhoo, I weakened and bought it. My enmity toward Oblivion is probaby more to do with it not being Morrowind 2 than anything else. Though I still think it was sparse quest wise. My dislike of Fallout 3 is more to do with my dislike of Liam Neeson as an actor, though again it had too few real quests, though I did enjoy exploring the wasteland. I believe it has a different level up system, something more akin to Fallout than Elder Scrolls, which would be good. Hopefully it's more than just having perks. I find it difficult not to manage levelling my skills in Elder Scrolls games, hopefully it isn't an issue this time.

Good news,

- Fast travel system.
    - Imperial Legion is less medieval as in Oblivion.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Console games out sell PC games 1000 to 1. The PC on it's own is not a cost effective platform anymore for anything beyond more-pigs.
    Both of these statements strike me as unsubstantiated. The first sentence is baseless hyperbole, and suggests you're not aware of digital distribution. And the second statement would be news to zynga, blizzard and valve.

"Console games out sell PC games 1000 to 1"

I don't believe it unless you come with proof. As I have heard the opposite.
    (server based games)

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Per Game basis, Consoles sell more.

Actually, per game basis, Mobile phone games do. Angry Birds has 500 million unique downloads.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-11-2011 at 02:03.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Phone apps are what under $5 most of the time? REAL easy to justify that, especially if your provider puts it on your monthly bill.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Both of these statements strike me as unsubstantiated. The first sentence is baseless hyperbole, and suggests you're not aware of digital distribution. And the second statement would be news to zynga, blizzard and valve.
    Oh it's hyperbole all right, but I'm not wrong. Digital distribution is not 100% of PC game sales (these days it could be safely assumed to be 1/4 or 1/3). And PC games sales are a small percentage of a multi-platform games over all sales. Most of it is console sales. Digital distribution is not the thing that's going to get people using a PC for games. Unless you have a very good connection and the ability to use it for extended periods, it's far from a practical option. Speaking from my own experience of an estimated 23 hours to download ETW over my cable connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Clown View Post
    "Console games out sell PC games 1000 to 1"

I don't believe it unless you come with proof. As I have heard the opposite.
    (server based games)
    And you hear wrong. Going by multi-player numbers to correlate to games sales is stupid. Especially since Xbox isn't plug and play for online multi-player. And that consoles games don't have enormous MP communities. Infact outside the Halo/Battlefeild/CoD triumvirate most will dry up fairly fast.

Yawn.

Totally off topic. You should know better Mr Beskar. Why they ever made you a mod I'll never...

30 minutes to Skyrim. I'm actually quite excited now, virtually ignoring it until now will probably make it that much better, no expectations to be dashed.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Phone apps are what under $5 most of the time? REAL easy to justify that, especially if your provider puts it on your monthly bill.

Oh it's hyperbole all right, but I'm not wrong. Digital distribution is not 100% of PC game sales (these days it could be safely assumed to be 1/4 or 1/3). And PC games sales are a small percentage of a multi-platform games over all sales. Most of it is console sales. Digital distribution is not the thing that's going to get people using a PC for games. Unless you have a very good connection and the ability to use it for extended periods, it's far from a practical option. Speaking from my own experience of an estimated 23 hours to download ETW over my cable connection.

And you hear wrong. Going by multi-player numbers to correlate to games sales is stupid. Especially since Xbox isn't plug and play for online multi-player. And that consoles games don't have enormous MP communities. Infact outside the Halo/Battlefeild/CoD triumvirate most will dry up fairly fast.
    Lars,

that you care enough to even broach the topic is a laugh in and of itself, what, you carrying a torch for old console technology are you?

and w/o proof of a source backing up your 1000 to 1 claim, which everyone in this forum knows is nonsense, you're pretty much just stuck with me calling you out on it

Went to Tesco at midnight to buy it and the goons in the shop said they only received 10 copies of the game... I was 11th in the queue as I had used the opportunity to buy some groceries. Turns out when you're a supermarket giant you can afford to be complacent and have a total twink as your stock manager.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

On an related note, does anyone think I should play Arena and Daggerfall before playing getting into the more modern Elder Scrolls games?
    Last edited by JagRoss; 11-11-2011 at 07:11.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Ugh. Not more Bethesda crap! Why do they inflict the world with their constant stream of poop? [/grumpy]
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JagRoss View Post
    On an related note, does anyone think I should play Arena and Daggerfall before playing getting into the more modern Elder Scrolls games?
    I doubt it. The more modern games are big, so the three of them together would keep you more than occupied. The graphics of the older games doesn't hold up so well, as they were even more generic and lacking in story/character than the newer titles. Morrowind is still pretty impressive though, so starting with that rather than Oblivion would not be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Ugh. Not more Bethesda crap! Why do they inflict the world with their constant stream of poop? [/grumpy]
    QFT
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Blog Entries

First thoughts:
    - One of the most graphically beautiful games I have ever played.
    - Interesting leveling up system.
    - PC controls are completely hideous. I had to plug in my xbox controller to make it playable.
    - Alt+Tab crashes the game.
    - Mobs don't seem scaled at all. Some mobs I can chop down without breaking a sweat, but go near a giant, wham, I am dead.
    - Conversation doesn't have the Oblivion/Fallout zooming right up into their faces and is better presented.
    - Random slash moments proc "vat style finishing moves"

As for "Bethesda crap", huh? What games do you play?
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-11-2011 at 15:27.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I'll never understand why people moan about games they don't like, I dislike most games but don't waste my time worrying about them when I could be playing game I do enjoy.

Quite enjoying Skyrim, though the controls are rather clunky, and the UI is clearly geared toward the consoles. The early game reminds me more of Morrowind than Oblivion, just general feel and atmosphere rather than gameplay mechanics. If I had known there were no classes before buying I probably would have hated the idea, I actually like it, and the levelling system is so much better than the old method in my opinion. I generally use a mage, without weapons, and the ability to cast dual spells is pretty cool. You can even pick a perk which when you put the same spell in each hand casts an upgraded version of the spell.

I haven't come across any bugs yet, and the game has been smooth on medium settings on my PC, which is probably the lower end of mid range.

Blog Entries

I am in love with the archery in this game, its been a while since I've played a game where arrows actally have some thwack to them, hunting alone is fun. I once snuck up on a guy in a tower, took aim, fired and watched as his body fell 20 feet to the ground with only one arrow in his back, it was one of the more satisfying moments I've had in a game.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    As for "Bethesda crap", huh? What games do you play?
    I play LEGOS. It is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I'll never understand why people moan about games they don't like, I dislike most games but don't waste my time worrying about them when I could be playing game I do enjoy.
    Because it is UTTERLY hilarious how irate people get if you poke fun at their love children.
    Last edited by naut; 11-11-2011 at 16:22.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I'm anxious to hear more about the game from those who have it. I'm definitely interested in it, but I'll have to put off getting it - it will probably be on my Christmas list.

Thanks for the first impressions so far.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Lars,

that you care enough to even broach the topic is a laugh in and of itself, what, you carrying a torch for old console technology are you?

and w/o proof of a source backing up your 1000 to 1 claim, which everyone in this forum knows is nonsense, you're pretty much just stuck with me calling you out on it
    1000 to 1 is an exaggeration, which I admitted as much. Realistically it's more like 100:1, or at the outside 50:1. But since companies guard sales data like mother bear protecting her cubs we'll never know for sure how much consoles out sell PC. But if you believe that PC game sales can compete with console sales for a game like Skyrim, your fracking crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I am in love with the archery in this game, its been a while since I've played a game where arrows actally have some thwack to them, hunting alone is fun. I once snuck up on a guy in a tower, took aim, fired and watched as his body fell 20 feet to the ground with only one arrow in his back, it was one of the more satisfying moments I've had in a game.
    So is it better than Oblivion's ranged system? I could not stand ranged weapons in Morrowind or Oblivion (which I'm not a fan of at the best of times in these games). Still if they've gone solely with perks for skills or how you want to play. I'm not opposed to it. I rather liked how it was set up in Fallout 3.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

My initial impressions are very like those posted above.

It's gorgeous. After feeling a little left out watching my son's Modern Warfare 3, I took some pride in now getting a game that looks about as good. (I thought the opening was a cut scene, until I turned my character to look around; the graphics were so cinematic in quality.)

It's just like Morrowind/Oblivion. Don't expect any fundamental change in the basic kind of game it is.

I like the combat, but then I preferred Oblivion's combat to Mount and Blade. Fighting with sword and shield just feels more solid, well paced and you can plausibly defeat superior numbers. Archery seems nice - my impression is that you shoot more or less where your cursor was pointing. You don't have to "aim high" like in Mount and Blade, or suffer from excessive wobbles like Fallout 3 manual aim with low skill.

There are no stats at character creation. Realising that nearly made me weep - doesn't RPG stand for min-max your stats game or something? But now I think it is a blessing. What killed Morrowind/Oblivion for me was trying to rig my stats so that I maximised them on level up (endless hours standing getting biten by mudcrabs, jumping off rocks etc). Maybe I have not figured out the optimal levelling approach, but now that you don't have endurance/strength etc, you can just level up as use your skills and pick a nice perk as a reward. The perk trees seem decent - a kind of hybrid of WoW's talent trees and Fallout's perks. There are lots of skills and perks (you can get to level 70 or so, but 50 is the norm, so that's a lot of perks), so the stat/levelling lover need not feel they are in an action game.

Oh and the interface is awful. I normally don't care about UIs, but this one makes me scream.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Oh and the interface is awful. I normally don't care about UIs, but this one makes me scream.
    Works very well with a controller but it is hideous using keyboard and mouse. On controller it is a flick of the thumb to go through it all.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast