Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread!

Blog Entries

Default Official Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread!

edit: it's out! feel free to talk about the game on this thread regular fourm rules apply
    Last edited by Hamata; 02-04-2012 at 23:14.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: offical Elder scrolls V: skyrim thread!

Not overly impressed with Beth's last two games in Oblivion and Fallout 3, nowhere near enough quests. This will be a Steam sale buy for me.

It's V not IV.
    Anyway I am pretty exited. And recent live action trailer gave me hope, that they'll probably make a movie or something...but haven't pre-ordered it. Want to look at the reviews. Since they're making this a console first game, I'm slightly apprehensive about the gameplay.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

They did that for Halo too. I don't see a Halo movie anywhere. However if I'd know Encore Devastator, a local con I'm going to, and this were the same month. Well I'd still do what I'm doing and ask for this for X-mas. What's 30 days?
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Official

Im dying waiting for it, I'm probably not going to be able to buy it day one so I'm going to be ducking anyone who brings it up while I wait for financial aid to be sent to me
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Well I caved and have pre-ordered. Been replaying New Vegas and I think I'll be happy if Skyrim is basicaly Oblivion with a sprinkling of Fallout-style character progression -i.e. the perks and skills and no longer that god-awful leveling system from Oblivion.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I'm glad I skipped Oblivion. They were trying to do some neat things in the game but I decided not to get it: The first attempt is always rubbish. However, it seems like they've improved upon those ideas and I will eventually get Skyrim.

I thought I was over the cliche Viking thing but I'm actually pretty excited about this.

Thanks for starting the thread! I've been waiting for someone to open one.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Just for future reference, you have my allowance to do that yourself.

I can mail it to you in written form if needed.

As for the game, we'll see, I'm not excited but maybe I'll give it a try later on.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Yea but there is the shipping cost, interview, reinterview, then the language barrier. I swear, sometimes I go to work to get away from the org.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Blog Entries

thank you vladmier:) well my brother has all ready pre ordered it! i'm thinking of installing it too when it comes out of course

Protip: Save your money.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Protip: Save your money.
    lol, not sure what's "pro" about calling out skipping a game no one has played yet

i don't think the word pro means what you think it means

Maybe Vuk is a prostitute.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Maybe Vuk is a prostitute.
    Like where this is headed, I've got it, he's bedded the devs for skyrim month's ago, and based on that "pillow talk" already knows the game will suck.

Ok, if that's the case, I take back my Princess Bride reference, he knows of what he speaks. It's a pass gentleman.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

It's a Day One buy for me, can't wait to pick it up on Friday; Western RPGs are one of the few genres I can really get my teeth into. :3
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know a friend of a friend who is playing it, and they are apparently deeply inlove with the game. I am looking forward to this.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I have be delving into Oblivion somewhat more as of late and am enjoying it. I have yet only scratched the surface, but it is quite fun. I haven't played anything else in the series though. I might look into this one even before finishing Oblivion. I only saw a TV comercial advertising the game that lacked any gameplay details, but at least the comercial was entertaining! :D
    Silence is beautiful

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

I've played and enjoyed both Morrowind and Oblivion, and will hopefully get a chance to enjoy Skyrim too, though it won't likely be soon. That's ok though; I'm about three years behind in games, so I'm paying $10-$20 a pop for the big hits of yesteryear and enjoying them as much as I would imagine most enjoyed them right when they came out, at a fraction of the cost. Delaying gratification has significant benefits in today's world.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    lol, not sure what's "pro" about calling out skipping a game no one has played yet

i don't think the word pro means what you think it means
    lol, Protip is a humorous reference to the garbage that was DX3. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

I hope the fighting system will be less tedious and boring.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I've pre-ordered Skyrrim, but more out of habit than expectation. Nothing about the advance notice has grabbed my attention (I am particularly non-plussed by the dragon theme, suffering from dragon fatigue with Dragon Age and WoW: Cataclysm. And I find the idea of taking defeated dragon's essences distinctly bleh.). However, these Elder Scroll games are always sumptuous meaty affairs, if not ultimately to my taste.

Not overly impressed with Beth's last two games in Oblivion and Fallout 3, nowhere near enough quests.
    I don't want to be confrontational, but I find this comment a little mind-boggling. Oblivion seems to have a virtually endless number of quests. (I bought the official game guide which lists them all and it is not a short volume.) [EDIT: Google says something in the region of 180-200 quests in the game.] I think the root problem with Beth is that they go for quantity over quality. I burnt out long before I had worked all the way up even one of the guilds or finished the main quest.

Recently I have gone back to Fallout 3 and must say I was pleasantly surprised: it was a far better game than I remembered. I particularly liked the start and the main story involving your Dad (I admit, I am a bit in awe of Liam Neeson). I am wavering on giving up at level 16, but am pretty sure I have done only a fraction of the quests. The world seems very large and I have not explored most of it. I particularly like the feel of FO3 - it feels just like you would imagine a post-apocalyptic DC would - whereas I found Oblivion's generic fantasty setting did not grip me (unlike say Morrowind's more outlandish setting).

I've also gone back to FO: New Vegas, which may have more quests than FO3 but also seems more likely to induce exhaustion.

Small can be beautiful.
    Last edited by econ21; 11-09-2011 at 17:48.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I've pre-ordered Skyrrim, but more out of habit than expectation. Nothing about the advance notice has grabbed my attention (I am particularly non-plussed by the dragon theme, suffering from dragon fatigue with Dragon Age and WoW: Cataclysm. And I find the idea of taking defeated dragon's essences distinctly bleh.). However, these Elder Scroll games are always sumptuous meaty affairs, if not ultimately to my taste.

I don't want to be confrontational, but I find this comment a little mind-boggling. Oblivion seems to have a virtually endless number of quests. (I bought the official game guide which lists them all and it is not a short volume.) [EDIT: Google says something in the region of 180-200 quests in the game.] I think the root problem with Beth is that they go for quantity over quality. I burnt out long before I had worked all the way up even one of the guilds or finished the main quest.

Recently I have gone back to Fallout 3 and must say I was pleasantly surprised: it was a far better game than I remembered. I particularly liked the start and the main story involving your Dad (I admit, I am a bit in awe of Liam Neeson). I am wavering on giving up at level 16, but am pretty sure I have done only a fraction of the quests. The world seems very large and I have not explored most of it. I particularly like the feel of FO3 - it feels just like you would imagine a post-apocalyptic DC would - whereas I found Oblivion's generic fantasty setting did not grip me (unlike say Morrowind's more outlandish setting).

I've also gone back to FO: New Vegas, which may have more quests than FO3 but also seems more likely to induce exhaustion.

Small can be beautiful.
    It really seemed to me that Oblivion had a lot of quests too when I first started playing (a mind-boggling amount in fact), but after creating several characters, I tried to do different things with them and soon came disappointed with how small the game suddenly felt.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Can't say I'm too excited about this game, I'll probably get it at some point but can't say i'd like it that much. I mean the people who make the elder scrolls game have created a massive world with interesting history and stuff and all they do is pick little parts of it to play, IMO they should have made TES 5 more with the scope of Arena, where all of Tamriel is available and they should have set it during the aftermath of oblivion where you could either help the other kingdoms break away from the empire or try and keep the empire together as a republic(they have that high council or somethingso it wouldn't to too hard to make a republic), or even try to become a new emperor yourself. This would be awesome because one province games are just too small for the epic elder scrolls universe they've created.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Disagreeing with somebody's opinion isn't necessarily confrontational econ.

I do wonder what exactly they are counting in that 180-200 quests for Oblivion. We had the main quest, 3 guilds, I think 2 quests per town and that was pretty much it as I recall, Fallout 3 wasn't much better.

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

I'm really looking forward to it! I'll be getting it the day it comes out. Lucky for me, I don't have work on 11/11!
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

My feelings:

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II View Post
    Can't say I'm too excited about this game, I'll probably get it at some point but can't say i'd like it that much. I mean the people who make the elder scrolls game have created a massive world with interesting history and stuff and all they do is pick little parts of it to play, IMO they should have made TES 5 more with the scope of Arena, where all of Tamriel is available and they should have set it during the aftermath of oblivion where you could either help the other kingdoms break away from the empire or try and keep the empire together as a republic(they have that high council or somethingso it wouldn't to too hard to make a republic), or even try to become a new emperor yourself. This would be awesome because one province games are just too small for the epic elder scrolls universe they've created.
    If ES 6 comes out on the next iterations of the main consoles it might be able to pull that off. Making a game like that would require MASSIVE game resources. And Arena was massively generic in terms of the worlds look. I've seen pics of the towns and cities and they all look like Oblivions heartlands setting. Really making more than one provinces the focus would require more than current storage media would allow. And before you even breath digital distro, this game was created for the Xbox and Playsation Primarily. Meaning that is not really an option. So until a sotrage media of greater quantity is around 1 Province per game is all we're getting.

Disagreeing with somebody's opinion isn't necessarily confrontational econ.

I do wonder what exactly they are counting in that 180-200 quests for Oblivion. We had the main quest, 3 guilds, I think 2 quests per town and that was pretty much it as I recall, Fallout 3 wasn't much better.
    You need to count again. The main quest has like 40-50 quests. If you count the ones that have a dozen sub-quests (I'm looking at you allies for Bruma). The Fighters guild and Mages guild goes almost that high (~35). The Dark brotherhood and the Thieves guild clock in at about 30 each. The arena has 3 fights per rank until the Grand championship (I'm counting each one as a quest as your given the fight by an NPC and paid after you win). Seeing as there are 8 ranks under Grand Champion that's 24, so 25 with GC. Each city (minus Kvatch with 1) has and average of 6 side quests. There are 20 Daedric quests. Maybe a dozen settlement quests. And lastly Freeform quests (which are usually finding the quest item and tracking down the quest giver). So yeah 200 quests in Oblivion is not an exaggeration. With all the DLC is probably gets up to 250.
    Last edited by lars573; 11-09-2011 at 20:37.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Really making more than one provinces the focus would require more than current storage media would allow. And before you even breath digital distro, this game was created for the Xbox and Playsation Primarily. Meaning that is not really an option. So until a sotrage media of greater quantity is around 1 Province per game is all we're getting.
    This proves consoles have killed the days of truely epic gaming, I don't care if arena was generic it was still an epic game. The elder scrolls started on PC and should stay primary for PC and console second, what they are doing now, as in basically making a console game and then porting it to PC just does not do any justice to the series at all.

No. What it does is earn them enough money to make epic games.

They need to follow the money.

Down with dried flowers!

They are just greedy, making all these 'quick fix' console games, it's not cool at all.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast