Thread: Visions of Grandeur: A Tale of the Julii

Default Visions of Grandeur: A Tale of the Julii

Visions of Grandeur: A Tale of the Julii

I have never written an AAR before, but since reading some I have always wanted to. I never expected it to be about the Roman Empire. I hope you enjoy reading it and I will keep it updated as the campaign progresses.

THE ROMAN EMPIRE 270 BC

ARRETIUM, ETRUTIA

War with the Etruscans and Samnites had delivered Etrutia and Umbria into the hands of the Julli family. To the south, the Brutii family had driven the Greeks out of Croton and Tarentum. The Scipii were engaged in an an ongoing war with the Carthaginians, and the Senate ruled over the Triumvirate patricians in Rome. Flavius Julius was heir to the Julii legacy and had inherited the cities of Arretium and Ariminum.

A diplomat clothed in purple arrived in Arretium to relay the Senate's wishes to Flavius Julius. Flavius' diplomat Sextus approached the Imperial messenger. "You have come from the Senate have you not?"

The Imperial messenger regarded Sextus disinterestedly. "Yes, I have a message for your liege, Flavius Julius. Lead me to him I pray you, for by the gods my work is not yet done here."

Sextus called for his lord, "Lord Julius! Imperator!" The senior diplomat looked ashamed before his Imperial counterpart. "I assure you I just saw him, follow me please."

"Lead on." The Senate's envoy followed unimpressed behind the flustered diplomat.

"Our Lord has been drilling for war you see, with the Gauls. They are after all right on our border. Our lord seeks to take northern Italy, so that we may halt the advance of the Gauls and other barbarians at the Alps." The diplomat explained as he looked through the palace for his lord.

"See to it that you do." Answered the envoy coldly.

The diplomat stopped a young general "Lord Lucius, have you seen your father?"

Lucius looked down on the man who touched his shoulder. "Ah good Sextus, my father Julius is now in the yard, and this I presume is the Senate's envoy?"

The envoy bowed. "Lord Lucius, an honor."

"As my father's heir, I believe I should be a part of this conference, please follow me, I shall lead you to him at once." Lucius led them to the palace yard. He parted a red curtain that hung over the gate and exposed the company to the Tuscan sun and the gentle breeze in the garden. "My father is want to spend many hours here in conference with himself. Reading the poets and the histories, writing some himself. As of late he plans and discusses war with the north." They followed Lucius around the olive trees and bushes to find Flavius Julius engaged at work with a vial of wine, a map, a scroll, and many quills. Flavius leaned forward to gaze at the men who approached his stone table.

"Lucius, good Sextus, and an envoy? Well then, what news is it." Flavius mulled over the possibilities in his mind before the man even spoke. "We've been summoned to fight the Gauls? Or Carthage? The Greeks? Perhaps we were denied a position in the Senate again, what is it?"

The envoy was agitated by Flavius' informal behavior. "You act as if what the Senate decrees is meaningless! May I remind you the Senate allows you to serve Rome in your capacity."

Flavius looked at the younger man with his cold stare, years of experience in service to the Senate showed in his eyes, as did the white shimmering locks of his head. Years of political and military service not only took their toll on Flavius, they defined him! "Don't remind me young sir, I've served Rome all my life, and furthermore so has my family, and not with the honors the other patricians enjoy. We don't seek fame, only glory for Rome." He looked back at his scroll. "I have a great many responsibilities envoy, the Roman border has many itinerant tribes wandering around our border and at any crossing a thousand men or more may come pouring into Rome. So let me hear the decree and I shall immediately set about how best to deploy my forces."

The envoy was shocked that what he assumed to be informality seemed now instead to be that treasured Roman efficiency. "My Lord Flavius, the Senate decrees that you must annex Segesta for the glory of the Republic."

"Segesta? Hmm. That works very well. Please inform the Senate that I am well pleased with this prudent course of action and shall deploy my son Vibius Julius to capture the city immediately. In fact good sir, I plan to have it before winter hits the north." Flavius stopped to write on a piece of parchment. "Actually, allow me to address them personally."

SEGESTA, 270 BC

From the Journal of Flavius Julius, Imperator of the Julii Family.

The Senate has ordered me to capture Segesta. This suits my plans excellently as Segesta is held by a tribe of the Gauls not allied with the powerful Ligurian tribe. With Segesta under my control the annexation of Cisapline Gaul and Venetia shall be much easier. I am sending my son Vibius Julius to capture Segesta. He is already near with a modest army and shall be able to deliver it into our hands before the winter, as I promised the Senate. He is a worthy son, both interested in strategy and in politics. Although I would say, he has more ambition than skill. I sense he desires to become a hero. His youth and strength are admirable, but his desire may blind him to the dangers that lie in battle. Both the weapons of the foe and the cunning senator in Rome may cause harm to he who seeks glory in service to Roman empire.
    Last edited by Tsar Alexsandr; 11-23-2011 at 03:43. Reason: Style
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Default Re: Visions of Grandeur: A Tale of the Julii

SEGESTA, 270 BC

My name is Vibius Julius, son of Flavius Julius Imperator of the Julii family. One of the Triumvir families of the patricians. I serve my nation as a general and hope to be remembered as a great conqueror in the history of the Republic. So do all young officers who train in Rome in the Campus Martius. My father and the Senate desire to see Segesta incorporated into the Republic. So then, I have been sent ahead of my father's main force and will lead the first strike in his campaign. An honor I do not take lightly. From Vibius Julius for the descendants who follow, may the empire prevail.

SEGESTA, 270 BC

"No walls? A few hundred men? Well then, let's hurry and finish this battle. My father will certainly desire us to push further into Gaul shortly."

"Perhaps my Lord, but we must await orders. And further, Segesta is yet unconquered." Replied a soldier.

"Soldier, you are correct. But soon, it shall be." Vibius sighed, "There is no need for brilliance here." Vibius mounted his horse and rode to the front of his guard. "Well then men! We have butcher's work to do."

"Sir! What orders for your men?"

"Messenger, tell the first hastati and the velites to form one unit, fire at will, hold your ground and advance on the front entrance. Tell the second hastati to fire at will and take the side passage. Tell them to hold and not budge, we will show our will is our strength! Lastly, tell all the men I will personally assault the enemy from behind." Vibius rode of to address the men himself before the battle. "Men of Rome! These men who stand against you must either be brave or mad. I would argue for the latter! For they can't compete with your arms, with your armor, and most of all your spirit good soldiers! You who have trained to become sons of Mars, Hercules re-born! You have in you no fear, but these we face today, surely, they are like the living dead. March together, follow your orders and most of all do not abandon your call to Rome and the gods, and we will be victorious!"

Vibius' officer addressed his liege. "Stirring speech Sir. The men are in good spirits and the fortune tellers speak of victory."

Vibius rode alongside his officer. "They're not men of no ability then, for even a blind man would predict as much. This is of no great concern though, this victory will strengthen Rome, my father, and ourselves good soldier." Vibius signaled his men, "All units, advance!"

---

From the account of Vibius Julius

The first unit took the front passage, the hastati issued their pilum killing dozens of the rushing spearmen. The velites followed up with their volley shortly after the hastati's volley, killing many enemy spearmen. The hastai switched to their swords and were forced to engage in a bitter hand to hand fight. This unit took the most casualties of my army, but these pale in comparison to the enemy casualties. Our army, our armor and weaponry saw us almost undamaged. The second unit of hastati safely took the side passage. There they killed many with the pilum. Lastly, my unit hit the rear of the enemy positions in the small village. Our unit killed a hundred men

---

"Charge! Hit the rear!" Vibius led his cavalry into the enemy's rear, killing many in the first blow. "For Rome!"

The relieved infantry let out a shout as the cavalry hemmed in the enemy they had been fighting already. Vibius saw many dead before his unit even made contact with the enemy.

The enemy Gauls fell in large numbers, the Roman army, now working together as one was accomplishing it's work at a feverish pace. So much so that the enemy Gauls demanded to be taken alive, surrendering to the might of Rome. Vibius signaled the men to cease fighting. "Men! I will take these men alive, cease battle!" The Gauls laid down their arms and their Roman counter-parts relieved themselves of the work of the sword but remained vigilant, guarding the prostrate enemy closely in case treachery was the motive for their calls of surrender. "Who speaks for these men?"

A old Gaul warrior stepped forward. "Our captain lies dead in the field. Killed early on in the battle. I shall speak in his place."

"Very well," Vibius dismounted, "you surrender then to me and to the will of Rome?"

"Aye. We can no longer fight, with no leader or hope of victory, we must surrender. Allow us then to live in peace, to disperse into the wild, or as slaves, or give us a warrior's death by putting us to the sword."

Vibius looked around at the broken men, "You fought well. If it were my will, I would spare thee. The decision is left not to me but Rome."

The Gaul warrior nodded. "Consult your warchiefs. We are at their mercy."

Vibius Julius occupies Segesta in summer 270, BC.

SEGESTA, 270 BC

Account of Vibius Julius, son of Flavius Julius.

My father had ordered my to occupy the city of Segesta so that we may show the citizenry the virtue or Roman citizenship. I was also advised to accept the surrender of the enemy if offered the chance to take it. Such is my father's way. This was of no great issue for the enemy fell in droves, those that lived were few in number and worn from the battle, defeated before the battle was over. Perhaps they may become citizens at a latter date, perhaps not. The city does not object to Roman rule however, or they are wise enough to keep such seditious thoughts to themselves. With Segesta conquered my father's plan to capture northern Italy is well underway and will be realized soon. My new orders are to govern Segesta, seeing to the public's morale while my new martial task is to guard Segesta from large armies of Gauls to the north. An honorable post. Soon my army will certainly be advancing again.

ARRETIUM, 270 BC

From the records of Lucius Julius, son and heir to Flavius Julius, Imperator of Rome and the Julii family.

Gods confound the Senate's lousy timing! The Senate orders my father to capture Mediolanium, which we discussed at length in our counsel, but as I write my father is halfway to Sardinia by ship! Mediolanium may arguably be more important, but my father made many convincing arguments for the annexation of Caralis. For our family, the capture of Caralis will be of strategic and potentially great economic value. For Rome, it is a new territory taken from our enemy, specifically the Carthaginians of whom the senate rails of in their debates. It would also aid the Roman effort against Carthage, and ease the burden of the war on the Scipii family. Granted they may be displeased we have sought to aid them so, for surely they would have also desired the isle of Sardinia, but this is not our concern. Only the good of Rome need concern us. My father also believed the senate may want someone to capture the isle, so he acted rather than waited for an edict. And now despite the fact we also discussed the annexation of Mediolanium for many a long hour, we receive the order too late. It would be impossible to send word to my father now. In his place I have been given charge of our remaining forces in Italy. Would I desire to take Mediolanium, perhaps I could. But nearly a thousand Gauls yet occupy the north. To abandon our garrison's to go on campaign would be quite foolish, as nearby Patavium with it's large garrison could easily raid and pillage our lightly guarded territory. So then my real duty is simply to defend and administer the nation wisely. Soon though, Mediolanium and Patavium shall fall, and then, who knows?

CARALIS, SARDINIA 269 BC

From the record of Flavius Julius, Imperator of Rome.

The Senate has not given any new directives to me or my army, and thus I settled upon acting expediently and seizing Sardinia from the Carthaginians. Doubtlessly the Scipii and possibly the senate may be agitated by this move of ours, but it is for the good of Rome in all practicality. With Caralis taken, the Carthaginians will be dealt a severe blow in their operations in the Mare Internum. Without a port in the sea and without the island they'll be at a strategic loss. Both for their naval strategy, of dire importance for them, and their land strategy, primarily diverting their power in Sicily. Thus with Sardinia lost, their war in Sicily is also possibly lost. The Scipii should thank us for our aid, but to say I would expect such congratulations would be a preposterous lie. One worthy of the greatest propagandists in the senate!

The Scipii will not thank us for they see this invasion of Sardinia as a incursion into their senatorial mission and campaign. The port will become tactically useful to us in our later invasions of Gaul, and possibly Spain. We shall make the sea Mare Nostrum, in word and in actual enforcement. And if the Scipii fail to defeat Carthage our armies of the Julii must be prepared to answer the call. We of the Julii are not as respected nor as well established as the old Scipii and Brutii families, but we will prove ourselves to the other families and to the Senate. Truthfully our campaign is to defeat the Gauls, this is our mission. Our edict, the Senate's command and our families commission, the very reason we were established on the northern Roman border. To act as vanguard to the Roman republic against the Gauls. My father and his father as well did so admirably, but I don't see why the Julii can not become Rome's vanguard, Rome's sturdy shield. We will guard the republic wherever we must, however we must. The Senate and the other patrician families will come to thank us and respect our service well done and loyally rendered.

Caralis. The Carthaginian army is nothing like our mighty army. Their town guard and commoners are no match for our triarii, our hastati, our velites, and archers. Truthfully the garrison here is quite sad. The battle will be a short one, for sure. Caralis is not to be remembered as an important or significant battle as much as it will be known a important step in our strategy. The strategic value of the isle can not be understated. This is what we must remember, what we must seek in this battle, although there still remains the issue of the Carthaginian army. I must still encourage the soldiery to do their best. Err we lose men to over-confidence and haste. No we will go about this like a professional Roman army, and then home to Arretium, and then war with the Gauls!
    Last edited by Tsar Alexsandr; 11-28-2011 at 03:55. Reason: style

Caralis, Sardinia 296 BC

The men were arrayed for battle, the harsh sun beat down on the Republic's soldiers, a worthy sight for the Roman republic. Flavius rode to the head of the army with his old comrade in arms. The two surveyed the city without walls, the meager Carthaginian army within would soon be defeated. Little could be done to prevent a Roman victory here. "I will send the first hastati and triarii to take the front passage, a second hastati unit will take the western passage, and our cavalry shall charge in from the east."

Flavius' retainer spoke, "A sound plan my lord, surely the Carthaginians are nearly already undone."

"How so may I ask?" Flavius turned his horse around, "In this battle?"

"Yes in this battle, and in the war. With Sardinia lost I doubt they'll hold much else. Carthage is just a little way from here even now, and Sicily shall soon belong to the Scipii."

Flavius acknowledged his peer's advice. "Indeed. It seems you may be right." Flavius stared ahead at the old mud buildings of Caralis. "My old friend, what will become of Rome when Carthage falls?"

"We shall inherit the sea, we will dominate trade in the region, not the Carthaginians. Wealth will flow through our lands, our military will grow in strength, Rome will become the sole power of the earth."

Flavius dourly acknowledged his friends advice. "I suppose so. But what then of Rome? Will we turn upon each other in the absence of a great foe?"

The scholarly officer was taken aback by Flavius' question. "It is indeed possible. Already the Hellenes fight each other over the right to rule Alexander's empire, none though are an Alexander." He paused for a while, "Flavius, if we came here to conquer Sardinia, but you fear what that could cause, then why are we here? Why do we not pack up for the ships and spare some good Roman soldiery?"

Flavius looked on ahead, "Because, we must do what we can for Rome, and my old friend, I must do what I can for my family." Flavius looked back at his compatriot, "Is that selfish of me? To want to protect my family? Is this in the best interest of Rome?"

"Flavius Julius, I and all these men here follow you, not the Senate. We all know the Senate is capable of low and lecherous acts. You sir are a good soldier and general. I do not believe you capable of such treachery. So then, for your family and for Rome we do this. Lead us to another victory!"

Flavius lifted his gladius, "Then I shall not let you down, we go, for Rome!" Flavius rode before his soldiers, "Men we will win here another victory for Rome! Follow your officers, listen to your commands, and we shall have victory. I will not lie to you, the enemy Carthaginians are poorly prepared to face you in battle. It is a cruel master that sent these men to fight you soldiers, you whom cause all of the earth to tremble! Fear not men, victory is soon to be ours, but do not be careless. A serpent backed against a wall is more deadly than one in the field. Remember your training, trust your shields, your swords, and your strong arms! Roman virtue of arms shall deliver the city to us, now forward, forward good soldiers! To your orders and to your officers, to battle and to victory! Go forth and show to Jupiter the force of mighty Roman arms. To battle soldiers!"

The men shifted off to their appointed tasks as Flavius rejoined his guard, he spoke to them sternly, "Forward men and fast, we must to the east entrance seal immediately. I will not be the last to the battle!"

Positions in place the Roman army continued their strategy, marching down the alley shoulder to shoulder, large Roman shields making the men appear like a walking wall of iron, red iron. As if the army of Mars were invading the mortal plane. The Carthaginian soldiers stood in dense formation in the city square, but they lacked the all conquering confidence of the Roman army. Their knees buckled and their shields rattled. The men looked like the living dead. A distance away Flavius patiently awaited his chance to charge, leery of the Carthaginian spears. The first hastati sealed the southern alleyway and readied their deadly pilum. The first volley struck down many Carthaginians but the result was the Carthaginians then charge the first hastat unit who were relieved by the triarii who patiently waited behind them, the Carthaginians took many casualties against the veteran triarii of the Roman Republic. The second hastati had also found themselves withing range of the enemy, so now many spear points faced the Carthaginians and pilum rained down on them from the side that the warriors held their own spears. Many were killed unshielded from the volley. Finally the commoners broke away from the army and Flavius ordered a charge.

"Now! Now we break them, charge, charge and never let up! For Rome good soldiers!" The cavalry rushed down the side street, kicking up dust and making a great cacophony with the hooves crashing upon the foreign cobblestones. The enemy fell, melted before the onslaught. Those who still fought became disheartened and began to flee, calling aloud for mercy.

"Hold, Hold men, the enemy seeks the terms to peace, allow me to hear them. Stop the fighting!" Many had already fallen and the few who remained were merely town guardsmen and commoners, drafted in a last ditch attempt to save the city. Flavius looked down mercifully on these tattered remnants. "You seek surrender then?"

One of the soldiers lay prostate before him, "Sir have mercy, we are not soldiers! We were lead here to buy time and stall you for as long as we could, and we could scarcely delay you at all. Please sir, show mercy."

"Very well. I shall spare you, but trust me, those who once raised arms against Rome who seek to do so again often die gruesome deaths. Tend your fields but do not turn your axe or hoe or plow against us again. Depart now." The townsmen left the city as Flavius called his captains.

"Sir, why did we not dispose of those men?" asked the officer with the first hastati.

Flavius scolded the officer, "Why should I have? They're not even real soldiers."

"Sir, we have suffered a casualty." answered the officer.

"A casualty?" Asked Flavius.

"Yes sir," answered the soldier.

"How odd." Flavius responded. "How many have we lost in the entire army today?"

None spoke.

"Just the one it seems." Answered the officer.

"You think killing these poor men here would make proper amends? No sir, we must not resort to such barbarism. Were this a hard won and long fought battle that may be up to debate, but one man, most curious. Soldier, tell me everything about this man who has left us. I will write his family to wish them my condolences."

"His widow sir." Answered the soldier.

"He was married?" Flavius turned to his retainer, "this is most unfortunate. Well, I will adopt his wife as a charge of my own and see to her well being. Bring me paper, I will write to her and to the treasury as well."

Wow, how did I not see this? Better yet, how did noone else see this? Awesome job, as you can probably tell my from my username I love the Romans and even moreso a Roman AAR. Keep it up Tsar A!

Thank you Populus Romanus! There will be more to come, I have plenty of notes. I'm glad you liked it, it's good to get some encouragement!

War with Gaul and some other twists await. The action will get better I promise!
    Last edited by Tsar Alexsandr; 11-29-2011 at 03:12.

ARRETIUM, ETRUTIA 268 BC

From the records of Lucius Julius

This is my chance! While my father is away he has left me, Lucius Julius his son and heir in charge of our families resources. This will show to all that Lucius Julius is not afraid of battle! My brothers, the Senate, my father, and those barbarians to the north had better take note of my prowess and skill in battle. To the south of Arretium there is a rebel army, a captain of the Roman army has deserted, and I will lead my forces to punish this traitor. Father take notice of this battle, for in it I shall bring honor to your name.

SOUTH OF ARRETIUM, ETRUTIA 268 BC

"My lord, the enemy is Roman?"

"Roman? In a sense yes, but they have lost their brothers in their rebellion. Soldier, these men stand against you, against Rome. When we kill them we kill rebellion, not fellow Romans, stay not your hand. The good of the Republic at this stage relies on our resolve." Lucius Julius summoned a soldier, "My sword! We must to battle and then to the port to receive my esteemed father."

The men deployed in ranks of hastati in two units in the fore, followed by two units of velites, and Lucius Julius took up the rear. The enemy deployed in the same way, the rebel hastati and velites at least showing their Roman education. Lucius was willing to bet their morale was weaker. He smirked to himself confident of victory. "Men, we shall break them in a single moment, stand fast." The men assembled and deployed they waited for Lucius signal.

"Men of Rome!" he called, "We stand here today united by our love of Rome, our sacred honor and duty make us all worthy men. That army yonder calls itself Roman, I see a dungheap. Men, are you afraid of the tillers manure yonder?" The men let out a cry, some yelling shouts of victory, others laughing at the pitiful foe. "I thought not good Romans! Men! Prepare yourself, follow your orders and we will have this enemy beaten in short order. To rebel against Rome is unimaginable, these men have no honor. We do them a justice to kill them! Stay not your hand, forward to glory and honor good soldiers!"

The men followed their orders, the two armies advanced on each other, two large squares of men crossing the Etrutian field. The hastati and velites were in range, they exchange pilum and javelins. Lucius and his guard who had deployed to the right of the flank were ready, Lucius turned his horse around, "Charge men! Hit the right flank, hit the flank and seal our victory!"

The two armies exchanged missiles as Lucius hit the enemy heavy infantry. The enemy fell before the fury of the charge. Lucius rode at the head of his guard cutting down enemy soldiers. "Do not stop until the enemy all lie dead! Death to the traitors!"

The enemy infantry were wavering, their general left the rear lines to fight Lucius and his guard, his cavalry were more comparable to Roman equites, far lighter than Lucius royal guard. Lucius now ordered in his heavy infantry, "Cease fire, charge the enemy! Charge the enemy now, all units!"

Lucius and his guard struggled against the enemy army, he lost men and they fell around him, but the infantry was coming and shortly was upon the breaking enemy. With their arrival the enemy broke and fled, Lucius saw the enemy general fall before him, "The leader is dead, now all that remains is his followers. Capture them! Velites run them down, my men, follow me to victory!" Lucius cavalry and the velites ran after the enemy army, capturing or killing many who escaped the carnage of the battle. The enemy hastati suffered especially. Their armor slowing them down to be captured by light footed velites or meeting the sword of a cavalryman upon their neck. Lucius Julius atop a hill proclaimed his victory over all, friend and foe who remained within hearing range, "So let it be that rebels perish, long live Rome!"