Thread: Safeguard our kin and cattle: a Sweboz AAR (Anglish)

Default Safeguard our kin and kine: a Sweboz AAR (Anglish)

Hail, Europa Barbarorum fans! As I am a person with a lot of time on my hands, I thought I would get in on this AAR business. For my campaign, I chose my favourite faction, the Sweboz.
    How will this AAR stand out among the many other Sweboz AAR? Well, as a novelty, I thought I'd try writing it in Anglish.

Anglish is a conservative version of English that seeks to
    rid it of foreign (sorry, outlandish) words. So as I write
    my AAR I will shun the outlandish words like the... sickness? Ah, see, that's
    where it gets hard. Luckily I've this online dictionary (ahem, wordbook)
    to help me choose the right words.

Other rules:
    1. My warleaders will only use clever ploys in war when he has more than
    three stars of skill in warcraft. Otherwise he will attack head-on and
    screaming bloody murder!
    2. I will take my good time and avoid blitzing. Maybe the theuta will
    be brought together under my now king, maybe not.
    3. The story of the Sweboz raven-feeders will be told by a kingsman (or woman).

I might try to use alliterative verse from time to time. I hope it won't be too unbearably bad.

And if you spot an out-of-place word, be sure to let me know.
    Alright then, I'll start off with a short introduction:

Hail, wanderer. I am Hagaradaz, skilled in speechcraft, wordbearer and kinsman of the mighty king.
    Hear now the tale of the mighty Sweboz, the mightiest warriors in our lands:
    We are a gathering of the strongest folks in these lands. Our lot
    is greater than that of all other men, for we shall have lordship
    over all other folk, and we shall bring the wealas to their knees and
    rob them of their gold and wives.

Our foes are many and strong. Nearest to us live our old foemen, the folk
    that speak our tongue and live like we do. Rather than fight them we should
    fight with them; make them our kindred and give them a place in our
    fyrd. Their spears should drink the blood of outlanders before
    that if their kinsmen.

Farther away live the wealas, men who speak other tongues than we and live
    in great towns, where they drink wine and none must starve. Their kings
    wear red gold about their necks; we should be
    that blessed. To the west live the ones we know; often have our warriors
    plundered their rich lands. They are soft, yet they are also many. Their
    men carry swords of blue steel and iron byrnies. That is why we need to bring
    all men to our cause. Far to the South lies mighty Romeborg. Few of our
    men ever ride this far into the soft lands. Farther still can be found the
    Grecland and the lands where blue men worship snakes and dogs. Beyond those lands live men
    with one eye, six hands and seven cocks, or so the traders say. The wealas
    always want more of our red burnstones that wash up on our strands now and again.

Our own lands are enough for now. They are vast, but will not be enough for ever.
    Our king's headstrong brothers are out in the field, taking their warriors to our neighbours' lands...
    Last edited by Cadwalader; 12-03-2011 at 22:43.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Safeguard our kin and cattle: a Sweboz AAR (Anglish)

Using Anglish for an AAR is a... bold choice. I am curious how that is going to turn out, but otherwise I wish you good luck.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I am sure it will turn into a nice AAR :). Looking forward to this one.

Thanks! It turned out to be harder using English without latinate words than I thought. I might have to use some invented terms from the dictionary.

I'll have another update up by tomorrow.

Update time:

"When they go into battle, it is a disgrace for the chief to be surpassed in valour, a disgrace for his followers not to equal the valour of the chief.
    And it is an infamy and a reproach for life to have survived the chief, and returned from the field.
    To defend, to protect him, to ascribe one's own brave deeds to his renown, is the height of loyalty."

Tacitus' Germania

Germania
    272 BC.

Come near the fire, wanderer. It is time you heard the tale of slaughter and great deeds from the land of the Rugejez to the north!
    Since the lakes thawed many months ago, our great king's brothers have been leading their fyrds north, to the great salty sea of the Rugejez.
    Long has our king willed its riches, from the golden burnstones, plentiful fish and trade with far-offs lands with which the northerly folk are blessed.
    The young king of the Rugejez Harkilaz is weak and unproven. Our Druxtenoz Heruwulfaz the giving sent word to him last winter, that he would take his
    great gifts and become his bondsman, or treat with our swords. But the youth did not heed his warning, so the matter must needs be decided by glinting swords! Wathonoz be with our warriors!

Wanderer, you are an outlander among us and do not know the great names of my kin. Of this I will now speak:

Athawulfaz is the next eldest brother; the strongest of the four. He is frightful to behold; red of hair, strong of gaze and body. He is known for his fearlessness; as he is
    named for the wolf, so does he give his name-kin blood to drink. Of all our king's brothers he is the most headstrong, but not known for his cunning.

Ansuharjaz is the next youngest, and the most cunning. He worships Wathonoz, who gives our warriors the strength and wits to slay their foes. Although skilled with both the sword
    and the spear, he is most happy when leading men into war.

The youngest, Hrabnaz, is also a sharp youth who already shows skill in warcraft. He has been leading a third fyrd south, yet we know little of his deeds there.

These are my kinsmen in blood, and great are they names among the Sweboz. Now hear of their war-deeds:

Ansuharjaz: I lead my men along the great sea of burnstones, following my bold brother's fyrd ahead of us. The Gods granted that I reached him outside the seat of Harkilaz.
    The fool would have cost us our sig*! After our happy greeting, the red man gladly let me lead the fyrd into the home of our foe.

As soon as they knew we had come, the youngest and boldest of their warriors rushed out to meet our spears. They broke against our shields and our riders hounded them all the way to the reaches of their town.
    I then let my brother loose upon the unhappy Harkilaz.

Athawulfaz: I was glad to see my little brother was there to bring us the sig. But while our warriors were breaking the hasty youths, I was unhappy and thirsty for battle.
    I was much gladdened when it came to my part. My brother knows what I like best, and so it was I who would lead our men into the town. My warriors boldly set upon the Rugejez; shields and foemen
    alike breaking before our arms.

Ansuharjaz: I knew it would gladden my big brother be first into the spear-din, yet I also knew he could not win on his own. Wothanaz brings sig to the
    crafty fighter, so my plot was to bring some of our men into the town by another way and come up behind the foe. As the fools had not thought to guard
    all ways into the town, our spears were soon boring into the backs of our foemen.

Athawulfaz: For a long time I was lost in the happy slaying, pushing the foemen before me and shattering skulls. But my men were falling in great amounts about me, and soon I
    knew that we could not win. Harkilaz was ahorse a ways before me, hacking away at my warriors. Just then, my little brother's banner finally came into sight. Heartened by
    his coming, we pushed harder against our foe. When Harkilaz unboldly fled, the Gods scolded him by giving the town to us. I took my bloody little brother into my arms.

Some say it was the strength of Athawulfaz that gave us sig, some say the cunning of Ansuharjaz and Wathonoz. No matter; as our lands were made more vast than they have
    ever been!
    Wanderer, do you see now the might of the Sweboz? Heruwulfaz let raise many holy stones for his brother, as well as many more fitting gifts to both his doughty kinsmen.

*Sig (archaic), victory.
    Last edited by Cadwalader; 11-29-2011 at 22:07.

Great stuff, keep going! Would be nice to see the size of the armies pre-battle, and the victory screen, but not essential. Those numbers could be worded into the text, alternatively.

Good start, hope you can keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll add more information about the battles, trying to keep the overall athmosphere.
    I hesitated a bit before deciding to substitute "sig" for "victory". Another option would be "win", but I reckoned sig would sound better. Any suggestions on how to express "victory" in Anglish?

Looking back, I find the last post might seem a bit uninspired. I might rewrite it later on.
    Unfortunately I lost a few years due to a crash, but I'll have another update ready by tomorrow.

272 - 266 BC
    Germania

"Let none put faith in the first sown fruit
    nor yet in his son too soon;
    whim rules the child, and weather the field,
    each is open to chance."

Havamal

After making the Rugejez kneel, King Heruwulfaz let those of his fyrd who would settle in the fair lands of the slain foe. He wisely did not go to war for many winters,
    and let his folk neet* the wealth of their new lands. From this wealth, our Dryhten** let build a great hall from which to oversee his new lands.

Shortly after the sig of Athawulfaz and Ansuharjaz, the youngest brother Hrabnaz at last returned from his foray in the south. He brought a deal of goods
    taken from the southrons, but his men had taken no new land for the Sweboz. But Hrabnaz soon found use for his beknowned wits overseeing his great brother's
    lands, and came to be a well-liked lord of our lands, although his mood came to darken with the years. Many great undertakings were begun in this time besides
    the sturdy new hall, among them clearings and roads through the bogs and gloomy woods.

Three winters passed without happenings of note. However, in the third year of our giving king's lordship, he was becalled by the wandering knave known as Sikijaz of the
    Mergomannom. Athawulfaz and Hrabnaz together went forth and came upon the bold cur as he was guesting a Kimbrian of his bondsman in winter. His band was then put to the sword. Sikijaz and his arms
    were given to the Gods with all his followers.

With Sikijaz' blood watering the holy oaks of the north, none dared speak against Heruwulfaz' might.

Many more winters passed with no deeds that bear speaking.

In the sixth winter of Heruwulfaz' kinghood, his first and only son Harjawulfaz was given his first spear as a man of the Sweboz. A great feast was held in the freshly timbered hall,
    and there was drink and foods there of all kinds. Yet even on this merry mal***, there were whispers and hidden sneers, as the lad was ill-liked by many of our warriors.
    It is reckoned still as most quiet of feasts ever to be held in this hall.

Of the youth Harjawulfaz this is told: many said that the Gods had given him his far-warring father's flawless likeness. Of his bearing bearing however, it was often said (never before
    the Druxtenoz), that it was as if he were of some other, lesser man's seed. His laziness was much talked of. He was happiest when inside and not often seen working
    or taking part in manly war-games. When the name of Harjawulfaz was spoken, the King's eyes were said to darken. Worse still, his good wife was feeling her years and
    not likely to bear any more children.

Two winters then came and passed, with no meaningful happenings to speak of...

*to neet, "to enjoy", "to savor" (OE neotan)
    ** Dryhten (OE), "king", descended from EB's *Druxtenoz
    *** mal, "occasion" (OE mæl)

That was just a short (and late) chapter on the lull between the last conquest and the next.
    The next part will have more action, I promise. Oh yes. There will be blood.
    Last edited by Cadwalader; 12-02-2011 at 22:23.

I'm rather enjoying this. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadwalader View Post
    The next part will have more action, I promise. Oh yes. There will be blood.
    Oh yes!

Nicely paced expansion, and it makes for a good read (and as a non-native English speaker getting the hang of Anglish is a nice

I'm glad to see people are enjoying my AAR. Thanks for all feedback! Now don't be afraid to criticize my style as well. I've noticed that I make many typos for instance. I'll get better at proof-reading from now on.
    d'Arthez, you have no idea how glad it makes me to hear that my writing is helping you learn English!
    Right, so now on to the good part:

"Hail, ye Givers! a guest is come;
    say! where shall he sit within?
    Much pressed is he who fain on the hearth
    would seek for warmth and weal."

Havamal

Germania
    266-263 BC

In the winter of the openhanded Druxtenoz Swebom's eighth year, a wanderer came to his hall. He came unsmartly dressed, but bringing fine gifts of fur and fair stones. When asked,
    he said his name was Brandafusaz of the Xeimbrozez. King Heruwulfaz welcomed him to his lands and thanked him with fair words for his givesome gifts.
    The King wished to frain* why the wanderer had come this long way to see him.

The newcomer then began his sorrowful tale from the northern lands. From him we learned that the north
    had come to be held by a ruthless king of low birth, who gladly slayed his own folk and was taken to wrongful lusts and wonts. Brandafusaz
    was a man of high blood amongst the Xeimbrozes, but fighting beside their king as his bondsman, so he said, he could no longer bear. The king's brow furrowed as the tale went on,
    and all who heard it were filled with anger and sorrow.

Brandafusaz stayed for one night, then another. He soon became known as a friend of the Sweboz. Of him it is said that although he was not an unfriendly man, he
    often liked better to be alone and only rarely spoke of small things. He never wore fine clothes, often drank water instead of small beer and ate mostly rye bread.
    Finally, he was known to be a fine leader of men in frith**, but knew little of war.

The bond between this man and the king was soon made stronger, when blood was added in the binding; Heruwulfaz chose to give his only daughter Fraujilan's hand
    to this northerner in a great feast to his name. Some were unhappy with the king's choosing, and would rather see one of our folk wed the young Fraujilan. But those
    that thought so did not speak of their ungladness to The King, but cravenly whispered amongst one another.

As soon as the bond was seemly sealed before all the Gods, Heruwulfaz began to make ready a host of mickle men wielding weapons of worked iron and sturdy shields:
    a fyrd worthy of the Druxtenoz Swebom, which he fittingly would lead himself.

This undertaking took two whole years to get done, as worthy warriors had to be gathered from all over the sword-king's lands.
    The men who had gone to war with Athawulfaz and Ansuharjaz now wore iron shirts and swords. Some others were free spearmen of the Rugejez.
    A big part of the fyrd was made up of youths seeking to soothen*** themselves as men.
    The King also likely hoped that his only son would show his worth and earn the love of his folk.

Wilagastiz was the name of the man who Heruwulfaz sent to guest the Xeimbrozez and look for any weaknesses. When he came back, he told The Dryhten all he had learned
    of the Xeimbrozes. Their warlord, who haughtily called himself Theudanaz, upstandingly welcomed Hagaradaz as a guest in his hall. As Wilagastiz only told lies, calling
    himself a bondsman of the southron lords, the cur gladly spoke his mind about the renowned deeds of the Sweboz, calling them "unlawful". Wether or not the tales told
    by Brandafusaz were true, the spy could not tell. The only other thing he could tell of him, was that the so-called king was silver tongued and a great lover of fair things.
    More weight was given to his telling of the war-readiness of the Xeimbrozes. He could tell that they had no inkling of Heruwulfaz' mind to bring war to them.
    The man called Theudanaz' town was unwalled and his strength was not great.

Heruwulfaz then marched on Theudanaz in fall, and came upon him in winter, as his folk were unwinding after another year of hard work. With him were Brandafusaz, keen to
    taste the blood of his former lord; Athawulfaz the great red warrior and lastly the youth Harjawulfaz...

This is the tale of the battle as told by the warrior-scop Hrabnaz, who was there that day:

As soon as the Swabian fyrd showed up, the Xeimbrozez hurried to get their arms and steeds. The Sweboz stood such that the oldest and most skilled men stood behind the
    spear-throwing youths, who were meant to soften the foe and make names for themselves. The Xeimbrozez boldly rushed out to meet our swords, screaming for our blood as they came.
    The snow was soon made bloody red as our daring young men sent their spears flying into the flock of foes, and as the arrow-men shot their deadly shafts into them. The two sides clashed,
    and great was the din, as the young ones did all they could to hold the best of the Xeimbrozez. Happily, the old warriors behind were not idle either, and soon the foemen
    were being driven back by the many Sweboz. They soon found out that the fight was going against them, and broke off to flee back across the plain to seek shelter in their
    hometown. But we ran close behind, hacking at every foeman's back we could reach.

They ran all the way back to their lord's hall, where Theudanaz himself was waiting ahorse. The horsemen threw their spears at us as we came, killing some. But soon we came upon him, and
    he was caught between the young spearmen and the older warriors. The King's son was in the middle of the fray not far from me, and he fought well there.

The Druxtenoz Xeimbrozem fought boldly, hacking at our shields from with his sword and killing many. Until a doughty
    young Swebo drove a spear through the riding King's steed, and the warrior Hagalaz of the Somnom then drove his spear into his belly.

When their leader died, the Xeimbrozez lost heart and ran back into the middle of the town. There they held they held out long, killing some with throwing spears and holding their
    ground until at last they were overwhelmed. The lord Athawulfaz was first to throw himself at the foe, and many times was his life saved only by his iron byrnie.

The Xeimbroze Brandafusaz sent all his men to look for the body of his lord Theudanaz. But no one could find the warrior-king among the slain, or even in the houses of his former folk.

Even after the last of them were killed, more came along to fight us. They threw a few spears and then ran off into the woods. Perhaps they were warriors from outlying farms,
    who came too late to join the battle. A few men were sent after them as we saw to the dead and wounded, and others made ready for a feast in the halls of the slain Theudanaz.

I realize that when I try to put some Pre-Germanic words here in singular, I am completely wrong. I'm going to research it a bit and correct the names later.
    I apologize to any linguists whose day I've spoiled!
    Last edited by Cadwalader; 12-03-2011 at 23:59.

Hail! Sorry for scrapping this AAR so suddenly and without notice. I have moved to another city to study at University (not history, sad to say), and don't have as much time for writing as before. My choice of language also makes writing it more difficult than it would be otherwise.

If I ever get the time, I might start writing again. In EBII with some luck! Thanks to all who read this, and especially to those who also left comments.

Shame, but real life takes precedence. Good luck with your endeavours!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez View Post
    Shame, but real life takes precedence.
    Absolutely. Take care, Cadwalader!
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thank you d'Arthez and Ludens! I will probably start a similar AAR when EBII comes out. Maybe the new Lugiones? Russian is my field of study after all.