Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms Teutonic HS: Winter is Coming (completed, winner Myth)

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Kingdoms Teutonic Hotseat: Winter is Coming

Maybe we should make it a rule that you have to move next to the other army before clicking to attack? That would avoid this wouldn't it?
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I don't know, I think the AI does this as well. I give you permission to use the admin pw to give it a try in a few turns. Just move the boat next to the shore, select the stack and right click, let it walk over and initiate combat. I think this can be done whenever a siege is involved. If it's allowed by the engine and the AI does it as well, I don't consider it an exploit but rather a trick one has to know if he is playing hotseats.

edit: I gave it a try now. The stack actually "cuts corners" and goes through the edges of the besieged town. When I try it to just pass by, the stack gets stuck as usual in the first zone of control (ZoC) it encounters. But when it's lifting a siege, the game allows it to ignore ZoCs in order to aid the town. It's weird, but it seems legit. Hell, give it a try now (just don't look at my other positions ) you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by Myth; 12-23-2011 at 21:54.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I've never seen the AI walk through forts and you know how much I love forts, I've used them extensively in single player campaigns and hotseats since RTW about seven years ago. I can't imagine this was intentional otherwise what is the point of the zone of control system in the first place? Why would you be able to walk through it in one circumstance but not another?

The AI has relieved sieges vs. me in such a manner...

Maybe it only works with sieges? I'll have to test it out sometime.

In my view anything that makes it harder to leave troops in siege is bad for hotseats.

Maybe the guards were sleeping?

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Or too much early celebration over their impending "victory"?
    Last edited by Zim; 12-24-2011 at 20:59.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    I've never seen the AI walk through forts and you know how much I love forts, I've used them extensively in single player campaigns and hotseats since RTW about seven years ago. I can't imagine this was intentional otherwise what is the point of the zone of control system in the first place? Why would you be able to walk through it in one circumstance but not another?
    This is exactly how Prague got exterminated in 'King of the Romans'. There was one Polish army directly between my chracter, Edmund Becker, and Prague's east gate. There was a second Polish army to the southeast of the first. I thought that because I had to enter the second army's ZoC to attack the first army, attacking the first would bring in the second army as reinforcements. But becase the second army was not adjacent to the first, I could have attacked the first without the second being able to interfere. What made this so confusing was that if the first army hadn't been there, the second army's ZoC would have stopped me dead in my tracks.

Simply put, the presence of the first Polish army directly between Becker and Prague prevented the second polish army's ZoC from stopping me. Fritz von Kastilien (Ramses II CP) tried to warn me, but I couldn't understand it.

I thought about how this should be fixed, not it will, and I think the solution would be to have all armies adjacent to both attacker and defender participate, not just those adjacent to the defender. Fortunately the system TW games uses now works better in this regard.

EDIT: Whoops, I should have waited until the save was ready. Here you go!
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 12-27-2011 at 23:20.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

The people of Norway have made most unreasonable demands upon Norway, claiming the entire North of Scandinavia! Well, this is clearly preposterous and this, combined with implied threats on the friends of Denmark, have forced the King into declaring war no this puny nation!

Or, you know, I just want their land, and that nice castle. XD

Poland up!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...id=205&id=9793
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

we felt that war with the danish would start sooner or later, danish hunger for combat is too high for any amount of money we norwegians can pay.

though be warned, if you continue on this warpath you will regret it! us norweigans will give you no ground without lives lost

EDIT: the king asks when he threatened danish allies?
    Last edited by Rougeman; 12-28-2011 at 13:33.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rougeman View Post
    we felt that war with the danish would start sooner or later, danish hunger for combat is too high for any amount of money we norwegians can pay.

though be warned, if you continue on this warpath you will regret it! us norweigans will give you no ground without lives lost

EDIT: the king asks when he threatened danish allies?

When the King discussed the division of HRE lands.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Lightbulb Re: Kingdoms Teutonic Hotseat: Winter is Coming

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    When the King discussed the division of HRE lands.
    IC: My King finds the prospect of the division of Holy Roman lands disturbing and wishes that the bickering between the two Nordic nations in the north can be resolved by peaceful means.

Norway: WiC-Norway-3.sav

Quote Originally Posted by slysnake View Post
    IC: My King finds the prospect of the division of Holy Roman lands disturbing and wishes that the bickering between the two Nordic nations in the north can be resolved by peaceful means.

Norway: WiC-Norway-3.sav
    The King of Norway attempted to "offer" me your lands, I found this outrageous as we have no intention of taking any land that belongs to the HRE, and it is clear to me that their can be no option but to crush these ungodly barbaric Norwegians!

The King of Norway attempted to "offer" me your lands, I found this outrageous as we have no intention of taking any land that belongs to the HRE, and it is clear to me that their can be no option but to crush these ungodly barbaric Norwegians!
    OOC: Just so you know, I'm Poland, not HRE ;)

Diplomacy aside, sometimes you just have to take someone out. It's neither personal nor very diplomatically sound, but lands and a secure back are vital. I have made the same choice in another game and I'll probably seem like a "bad guy" for doing it but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by slysnake View Post
    OOC: Just so you know, I'm Poland, not HRE ;)
    Oh, em, yes, well, you never came up. :)

This is outragious, i offered you an alliance, in return for the northern half of scandinavia we wouldve helped you in any war, and we assumed you were going to attack HRE.

This is clearly an excuse so others will turn a blind eye in to your actions, well we wont give up without a fight!

oh, and Danish king's ship has been attacked and retreated somewhere to the west, i hope you enjoy sea food.

Teutons up:WiC-Teutons-4.sav

Lithania up.

Monkey I'll be able to sub the Cumans in WotK on the 2nd of January, since I'm leaving tomorrow. BTW congratulations on your Heroic Victory marker!

This is outragious, i offered you an alliance, in return for the northern half of scandinavia we wouldve helped you in any war, and we assumed you were going to attack HRE.

This is clearly an excuse so others will turn a blind eye in to your actions, well we wont give up without a fight!

oh, and Danish king's ship has been attacked and retreated somewhere to the west, i hope you enjoy sea food.

Teutons up:WiC-Teutons-4.sav
    Luckily sea food is his favorite, as for my justification, all I can say is that the winners shall write the history. (and that you are completely correct about that) :)

Novgorod up

well played so far Myth, not sure I can survive this onslaught for much longer
    Attached Files Attached Files

TO vs Lithuania is just imbalanced. I autocalced that siege assault and still came out at a severe advantage.

Luckily sea food is his favorite, as for my justification, all I can say is that the winners shall write the history. (and that you are completely correct about that) :)
    well then lets make sure i dont lose, yes?

besides, i doubt you can successfully assault our fortress, so i think you should pack up and go back, think about your men

well then lets make sure i dont lose, yes?

besides, i doubt you can successfully assault our fortress, so i think you should pack up and go back, think about your men
    I am, they like fighting more than anything else, and the harder the fight the better. You hardly seem like much of a norsemen considering your hope that you will not face me in open battle.

I am, they like fighting more than anything else, and the harder the fight the better. You hardly seem like much of a norsemen considering your hope that you will not face me in open battle.
    i do fear for your mens safety, i mean, putting them on unstable boats? and fishing boats at that, maybe your successor will have a clearer head,
    Last edited by Rougeman; 12-31-2011 at 13:40.

Zim?

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    Novgorod up

well played so far Myth, not sure I can survive this onslaught for much longer
    bump

bump bump

thanks sly you can stop bumping now - I know Zim has the save and will post it as soon as he can, he's been really busy with work

Sorry, I didn't know I was up again. No work excuse. I did a whole lot of nothing the last day, wrongfully satisfied thinking "finally a day off with no saves to worry about". I'll have this done tomorrow.
    Last edited by Zim; 01-03-2012 at 05:49.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast