Thread: Quick way to convert to christianity?

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Quick way to convert to christianity?

I want to get a nanban port and christianity ASAP in my Oda campaign, but it's simply not happening. how do I make it happen quicker?
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Default Re: Quick way to convert to christianity?

There isn't much you can do. The event offering the chance to build a Nanban port triggers from west to east. It moves slowly and I would not be surprised if it had a set date trigger for each clan.

You might be able to convert if you take over a province with a Nanban port already constructed. I doubt this is feasible for an early-game Oda; Kyushu is a long way away.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

If you don't mind the risk I suppose you could create a stack, stick'em on a ship, and head off. Basically relo'ing your home base to one of the nanban provinces.

The one catch of course with Oda, you'll have to get free of your master first or you won't be in a position to declare war, and therefore couldn't land your troops.

This isn't really so much an Oda campaign at this point if you pursue this strategy, but that's not to say I've not done it. When I get super annoyed with my location circumstances, often something that comes up when I'm somewhere in the middle of the map, I've been known to open up a 2nd front for insurance in case things really hit the fan.

the oda isn't the clan that starts of as a vassal, that's the tokugawa.
    i did a migration campaign with them once, wich has gone really well so far. i created a full stack, 4 ash to keep my only province safe, got a nice fleet and set sail. when i reached kyushu, i declared war on imagawa, landed on kyushu and conquered 2 starting provinces. right when i conquered the second, the oda came and broke any bonds with the mainland by capturing my home province. it's not all that hard, just make sure you leave a few units behind to guard, and have a fleet that can fight some enemies of, or your men will die.
    the autumn leaves fall;
    floating on the coldest wind;
    with them my spirit.

self made death poem

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

ah, that's right, oda just start in a bad spot, i can't recall, been awhile since i play an S2 campaign, been playing ROTS, do the Oda get cheap ash?

btw, still like relo strat, I've done it and made it work, sounds like you have too, and it can be fairly daring and entertaining because of it

p.s. my solution on putting all my eggs in one basket, or in this case one ship, send flyers out on front for recon so the main ship carrying the troops encounters no surprises ;)

Yes, Oda have cheap ashigaru.

Total relocation is much more feasible than attempting to maintain a foothold on Kyushu as well as a presence on Honshu. It's best to start a campaign with migration in mind though - imagine how annoying it would be to get offered the Nanban trade event 1 turn before your expeditionary force is due to land.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Well I have an enormous military and am currently allied with the Hattori, and soon to be hopefully with the Takeda. The only serious threat I might face military-wise would be the Hojo, who don't seem to want to fight me.

But I did just send an invasion force to capture a region with a Nanban trade port. But there has been no option to convert? I checked the clan management screens, but there is no conversion button. What's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian to the Iron View Post
    But I did just send an invasion force to capture a region with a Nanban trade port. But there has been no option to convert? I checked the clan management screens, but there is no conversion button. What's wrong?
    Have you owned it for several turns? If not, wait and see. If so, the game must require the event to pop before conversion is possible, and that would make early conversion impossible.

No one seems to know for certain if this can be done, hence the "might" in my first post. Thanks to your efforts we should have an answer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    Have you owned it for several turns? If not, wait and see. If so, the game must require the event to pop before conversion is possible, and that would make early conversion impossible.

No one seems to know for certain if this can be done, hence the "might" in my first post. Thanks to your efforts we should have an answer soon.
    I've now held it for over a year, and no option nor event has popped up. I can, luckily being the Oda, recruit the Imported Matchlock Ashigaru in only one turn though.

However I could not hold it without a relief force, and the only possible aid was over half a year out, with seemingly endless waves of enemy armies continuing to attack, and the only reprieve from their onslaught was a rebellion due to the christianity in the region, which after defeating I was in no shape to defend anymore. But I could not simply give up such an economical and militarily important port (Nanban Trade Ships and Matchlock Ashigaru), nor could I afford to lose my best general. So I ended up having to settle for a steeply one-sided peace; I lost 33000 koku to a clan I can easily crush in less than 3 years, a peace I paid dearly for that they will likely break anyway, and in return received only a temporary rest to deal with problems back home and building up my matchlock infantry.

I wish I had known that it wouldn't really help before. That was a tactically unsound blunder that has now cost me dearly. The only upside is that I now have access to matchlocks and galleons without having to spend 21 turns researching the technology for the matchlocks. Oh well, I guess now I have a foothold on Kyushu, with a christian clan to the north and 2 buddhist clans to the south and west. At least it's a good fall-back point if my campaign turns sour on the mainland.

I will post and say when I get the Nanban dilemma (If I can even get it, because I thought you could only have one Nanban trade port, correct?), but as of right now I have reason to believe that capturing a Christian region with a Nanban port/quarter will NOT allow you to convert faster or more easily.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

What about converting religions in the Clan menu?

Just curious, why do you want to turn to Christianity? The only benefits are the matchlocks, and the increased rate of Mastery of the Arts. And cannons. But mangonels are better.

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    What about converting religions in the Clan menu?

Just curious, why do you want to turn to Christianity? The only benefits are the matchlocks, and the increased rate of Mastery of the Arts. And cannons. But mangonels are better.
    I want to try it at least once, and matchlocks are a huge benefit. I'd like cannons too

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

I want to try it at least once, and matchlocks are a huge benefit. I'd like cannons too
    Fair enough. Matchlocks are a huge benefit, but is there any other way to get matchlocks without converting/Nanban ports?

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    Fair enough. Matchlocks are a huge benefit, but is there any other way to get matchlocks without converting/Nanban ports?
    I believe that you can use matchlock ashigaru and samurai if you go up to "Gunpowder Mastery" in the research tree, but it's really high up and I'm not entirely sure about that. You can definitely get them without converting, while just keeping a Nanban port. The Nanban ports allow recruitment of Imported Matchlock Ashigaru. I think with most factions these take like 4 turns to recruit, but with the Oda, since they are Ashigaru, it takes only one turn to recruit a full 6 units.

I believe that you can use matchlock ashigaru and samurai if you go up to "Gunpowder Mastery" in the research tree, but it's really high up and I'm not entirely sure about that. You can definitely get them without converting, while just keeping a Nanban port. The Nanban ports allow recruitment of Imported Matchlock Ashigaru. I think with most factions these take like 4 turns to recruit, but with the Oda, since they are Ashigaru, it takes only one turn to recruit a full 6 units.
    Yes you get access to the fantastic Oda Matchlock Ashigaru with Gunpowder Mastery. You also get Matchlock Samurai who are pretty darn good also (less useful for Oda).

It is deep in the tech tree but if you beeline for it at the expense of everything else it won't take that long.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    There isn't much you can do. The event offering the chance to build a Nanban port triggers from west to east. It moves slowly and I would not be surprised if it had a set date trigger for each clan.

You might be able to convert if you take over a province with a Nanban port already constructed. I doubt this is feasible for an early-game Oda; Kyushu is a long way away.
    I don't think there is a date. I've been offered it 3 or 4 times in my Chosokabe campaign now and I'm on turn 20 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    I don't think there is a date. I've been offered it 3 or 4 times in my Chosokabe campaign now and I'm on turn 20 or something.
    A date for when the first offer will trigger. After triggering once the event will pop multiple times in case the player changes their mind. Pesky foreign devils won't take "No!" for an answer! Chosokabe get the event very early, either second or third in the game depending on how they compare to the Mori.

But why would I change my mind as Chosokabe =p Matchlock units aren't affected by their clan traits =(

So reporting back, since I've now been offered the nanban port:

After frustration at a lack of offers to convert, I decided to destroy the Nanban Quarter on Kyushu, and hope for an offer to build one. The very next turn I was offered the Nanban Port in my home province. After being built, I can convert. However, after holding the Nanban quarter for over 5 years, I never had the chance to convert.

Therefore I think it is reasonable to conclude that capturing a region with a Nanban port or quarter is in fact actually counter-productive, and will NOT allow a Nanban port to be built in any other province, and will not allow conversion to Christianity. Whether or not destroying it after capturing it will have any effect on speeding up the Nanban offer event is anyone's guess, but I assume that the simple fact of having a province in an area farther west would trigger the event more quickly, so it may speed it up a bit.

But for future reference, anyone who would like to convert to Christianity, you must get the event and you cannot be in possession of a captured Nanban Port or Quarter. I would say your best bet is to simply take a province all the way in the west; Kyushu is a good option because it's remote and it's a safe haven once you conquer it.

Member Member Shigemasa Oyamada's Avatar

You do need to get the offer and build a Nanban port to convert( therefore already having one nullifies it, but I always get one before I'd be out conquering anyone else's), but after building a Nanban port you can still take others, which is a pretty nice trade boost.
    It is possible to be too much smarter than your opponent. If you give credit for more subtlety than he has, he can achieve tactical surprise by doing the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigemasa Oyamada View Post
    You do need to get the offer and build a Nanban port to convert( therefore already having one nullifies it, but I always get one before I'd be out conquering anyone else's), but after building a Nanban port you can still take others, which is a pretty nice trade boost.
    Yes. that is also true.