Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

Default Re: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

Just letting you know I'll be away from tomorrow until the 23rd or 24th. I know it's really unfortunate, but hopefully given that each turn is 72 hours, we shouldn't have any problems.

BTW, Myth, I looked at the buildings at Constantinople - the Scholae Barracks can't be destroyed.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    BTW, Myth, I looked at the buildings at Constantinople - the Scholae Barracks can't be destroyed.
    Darn, that was a really good idea.

I had a good look at Zagreb too to see if I could pillage anything but no such luck...
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

The Hagia Sophia could be destroyed, but then we'll never have peace with the ERE - and Andras wouldn't be happy, the pious chap that he is.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Ugh. My own ancestors had a history of being enslaved to fight for a foreign government (the British called it "impressment" in their usual understaded way ) as well as a somewhat successful destruction of Irish culture.

Many among those of us that escaped to better lives elsewhere seem to forget about it over a couple generations, though...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    The Ottomans and slavery are a painful subject for any Bulgarian. We've been butchered and raped for 500 years by the Turks. They tore down everything they could - churches, castles, walls... The people were forced to live in fear and oppression. The capital of the Second Bulgarian Tsardom (Kingdom) is my actual home town of Veliko Turnovo. The castle has been reconstructed in the 1970s as we only have the foundations to go by. There is the terrific sound & light show there, though, and that's a sight to see. I have it posted on my Facebook and the videos are public.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anyway the Ottomans were met with resistance in our lands at least. Several revolts happened and we never actually served them apart from the Janissaries who were taken as babies and raised to be part of the infamous warrior caste. This was called "the blood tax" and families would hide their newborn sons to avoid it. There's more and more absurdities and horrors I could mention but that's not the point. The point is that yes, being an overlord to unwilling slaves never works out. That's why the banking elite and the world "leaders" nowadays enslave us subtly, without the masses knowing it. That's a whole 'nother story however.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Igno where did you move my cav exactly? I needed to unify it with the King's stack, he is rushing towards Constantinople. He might even leave the infantry behind and just go with the cav.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Igno where did you move my cav exactly? I needed to unify it with the King's stack, he is rushing towards Constantinople. He might even leave the infantry behind and just go with the cav.
    If we'd co-ordinated better you could have saved me about 140 fl on magyar cav - seems poszony gets a discount on them if he's sitting in the castle when they are recruited.

Destroy the Hagia Sophia? Madness. If I could go back in time and rule a powerful medieval country in the area in that time period I'd be trying to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Destroy the Hagia Sophia? Madness. If I could go back in time and rule a powerful medieval country in the area in that time period I'd be trying to save it.
    Just think of the money Zim, all that beautiful money.....oops, giving myself away as the banking elite, better hush up now

The King hoofed it towards Constantinople last turn, he didn't sit back in Varad. The cav from Sofia could have caught up this turn but If Igno moved it somewhere else... :/ Why did he even move it without asking me?

Groef means Graf or Count in English. Count is fine. The SS team who made the titles focused on making the Western cities more accurate and threw the East to the dogs (as usual). The title of Duke is an important one and should not be used lightly. Everyone is a Count, Viscount, Earl or Baron unless the King says they are a Duke. NB can change title names accordingly via the console.

Also, Mithridate, I notice a trend in the way you speak in character - the Kievan Rus representatives in MoT is the same as your current character in this game. You speak brashly, yell a lot and have very strong opinions and tend to give orders. Such words as "we must decide" and such and such thing must happen does not fly in the 1200s where the King has absolute power. Try to be more suggestive and less provocative, please

What is this talk I hear of two stacks camped in front of Constantinople? Can I get a screenshot? Indeed I thought our finances were private, hence me protecting my spreadsheet with a password.
    I will be more subtle, or try to but my character is one with affinity to dread and money. But the demands are more than reasonable since i do have a Cuman army + reinforcements looting and killing outside my gates in such numbers that i will need help to expel them. I agree to the similarities to the MoT diplomat, but keep in mind those where former violent Norse conquerors who lived to fight unlike my current fellow. But maybe im inclined to "cunning" kind of characters even though i like Chivalrous way more.

After all, all the lords must serve to expel invading armies. Arguing over this and that does not serve that purpose, if i was there i too would demand decision and go back to fight for my lands.

And ill make sure to use the proper titles henceforth

On a side note I have to say how impressed I am with the game's start so far. So many new players and plenty of ic debate in the courtroom. It seems like a very good beginning.

I will be able to move my character and reply in the IC tonight, I wasn't able to do so last night.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

The turn will probably run a little long this time since I don't want to stay up till 4 in the morning to catch it :)
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

It's really late today guys, an IC post tomorrow. Basically the war with the ERE was pretty much inevitable. The Cumans are headed for Varad, Mithirdate's character offered them tribute to leave his lands be. However we have his armies there as well as the other stack in Targoviste so we should be fine if you guys get to lead your battles.

Zim takes Belgrade, oh and also I'm pretty sure Venice won't attack us in earnest, they are there mainly for show. Phonics you can go and grab a settlement or help fend off the Cumans.

Today is a working day here in Bulgaria...

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would this be a bad time to point out I've never played Stainless Steel before? In anycase, I hope there are more generals available.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any screenshots of the battle. Not sure why things didn't work, but I think I know that I can do to get instant confirmation in the future.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 01-22-2012 at 02:22.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Well, there was an adoption offer this turn but unfortunately it failed, even when I tried reloading a couple times. (if it could succeed, I would have asked if the adopter wanted to accept)

I will do the best a can to get another avatar available to soon though. Does anyone know of a way to use the console to get one?
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Looks like I'm late to go after Belgrade any other preferred targets for Demeter?

Zim takes Belgrade, oh and also I'm pretty sure Venice won't attack us in earnest, they are there mainly for show. Phonics you can go and grab a settlement or help fend off the Cumans.

Sorry, I mistook you for Mikan's player. Zim you should go after the Cumans, but let me check the save first.

NB, is the sacking money from Belgrade sitting there for us to pick up or did it get lost when Mikan died?
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 01-22-2012 at 11:47.

One Cuman fortress in range, has a decent garrison but if I recall I can't see all of the troops in it so I can't vouch for quality.

Edit: Correct that. The bulk of their garrison seems to have wandered off somewhere.

Sorry, I mistook you for Mikan's player. Zim you should go after the Cumans, but let me check the save first.
    Last edited by Zim; 01-22-2012 at 12:14.

Edit: Correct that. The bulk of their garrison seems to have wandered off somewhere.
    I expect NB will ensure they wander back as soon as you siege it
    Last edited by Zim; 01-22-2012 at 12:33.

True. That would put us at even numbers if they didn't have even more troops around somewhere. Actually, I'd be at a bit of a disadvantage. Forgot I'd recruited three units for another player.

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    I expect NB will ensure they wander back as soon as you siege it
    Last edited by Zim; 01-22-2012 at 12:36.

you could go garrison-hunting first, knock them out and then go to the fortress

Maybe, Wish I had a spy, using cavalry for it is a bit of a pain.

Demeter waits on the word of his illustrious monarch.

you could go garrison-hunting first, knock them out and then go to the fortress

Wish I had a spy, using cavalry for it is a bit of a pain.
    Yeah, expensive

I wouldn't move them so far as to become unsupported, but then that just leaves crappy range (need to return to army at the end of the turn) in addition to not seeing many tiles away (although at least my general ha a cav movement bonus).

Yeah, expensive

Who has the guy and armies sitting at Targoviste?

House Stark

Any directions from the King? I can sit tight and recruit some cheap units if need be.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast