Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Re: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

Hmm, good question about Belgrade's sacking money. It never actually got sacked because it was taken when Cecil won the defensive battle, but I think I can make 1000 gold available for the money from just taking occupying a settlement. That money goes to Myth/King Pozsony since they are his troops. The settlement of Belgrade is also under his nominal control until it is claimed by another, just as Constantinople is.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    The settlement of Belgrade is also under his nominal control until it is claimed by another, just as Constantinople is.
    Understood - but we need an avatar there if we want to control the troops in any battle.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    Understood - but we need an avatar there if we want to control the troops in any battle.
    correct. Otherwise it will be autoresolved
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

There's a bit of chat going on about fighting each other's battles. As far as I know this has never been allowed in previous throne room RPGs (Zim, can you confirm?)

My own view (which may not carry any weight at all) is that we could perhaps allow the GM to fight if a player is absent for a crucial battle (eg. Mithri has let me know he's going to be away until 27th) but that it's against the spirit of the game to let players control each others avatars.

What does everyone else think? NB?
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 01-23-2012 at 14:16.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

In past games from my recollection they've been a bit strict at times about players having to fight their own battles. One of the exceptions was if someone knew they were going to be away for a while (so people wouldn't lose their avatar just because they had a week long business trip or something).

Cecil or Ignoramus may be able to correct me. They've both been in these games longer than I have.

And, of course, it's entirely up to NB whether he'd want to follow any "precedent" or make his own ruling.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Yeah only if the person is absent or if the other avatar comes up as reinforcements and the player agrees. I asked Monkey if I could delegate the HA army to him though I'm fairly confident I can use them well even though I prefer western factions overall.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I am okay with players designating other players if they are going to be away and do so beforehand. It doesn't make a lot of sense in context, but I wouldn't want real life to force battles to be auto-resolved.

would also be fine with fighting the battle myself but I can see that some players would worry about my being biased since I am controlling other factions. I can promise you that my goal isn't to "win," so I would fight the battle for you to the best of my ability, but I don't feel comfortable forcing people to let me play the battle unless they miss the 24 hour deadline without letting me know they would be unavailable beforehand.

Also, just so everyone is aware, battles without a character general in them (ie, captain led battles) will be auto-resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I asked Monkey if I could delegate the HA army to him though I'm fairly confident I can use them well even though I prefer western factions overall.
    Happy to take charge of an army for you old chap. Apologies if I misunderstood you!

I meant the HA battle, though surely any excess troops can be distributed amongst the nobles. I grant you your recent conquest, btw how much longer until the save ends? I'll beable to lift the siege on Constantinople tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I meant the HA battle, though surely any excess troops can be distributed amongst the nobles. I grant you your recent conquest, btw how much longer until the save ends? I'll beable to lift the siege on Constantinople tomorrow.
    I don't want to take credit for Cecil's achievement! But thanks and if you have the time perhaps you could do the same IC?

I am going to take the save late tonight. Or at least that is what I plan on doing.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I consider it absolutely essential to the spirit of these games that only those players whose avatar is present in the battle can take command. Reputations are built and lost in this manner, and it's important as a way to bind player and character together. Frankly I'd prefer it that way even when real life intervenes, although our situation seems to be a bit tougher in this case.

Incidentally, I'm fine being on the waiting list for a general. Shall I create my own character to participate in the Council discussion, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil XIX View Post
    I consider it absolutely essential to the spirit of these games that only those players whose avatar is present in the battle can take command. Reputations are built and lost in this manner, and it's important as a way to bind player and character together. Frankly I'd prefer it that way even when real life intervenes, although our situation seems to be a bit tougher in this case.

Incidentally, I'm fine being on the waiting list for a general. Shall I create my own character to participate in the Council discussion, then?
    Cecil XIX - keepin' it real since '05!

Do we receive any income for blockading an enemy port? I'm currently blockading a Cuman port and it seems reasonable to assume that my war galley would be generating income from seizure of enemy trade vessels. Nightbringer, what are your thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by House Stark View Post
    Do we receive any income for blockading an enemy port? I'm currently blockading a Cuman port and it seems reasonable to assume that my war galley would be generating income from seizure of enemy trade vessels. Nightbringer, what are your thoughts on this?
    I'll take a look at it during the enemy turn and approximate an amount that you get from blockading based on that.

As to fighting battles for other people, I think Cecil's comments make a lot of sense, and in the future I will ask that players designate me to sub their battles, along with as specific instructions as possible. Mithri did a very good job of detailing the battle in this case, and I believe the battle plan truly was his, and it was only enacted by his sub.

And yes, Cecil you are first on the waiting list and you should feel free to create a character for counsel discussion. This character could end up being in the service of your future avatar or something if you want.

Hey guys I'm back! It seems quite a lot has happened already. Could someone please give me a quick summary?

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Basically, war has started with the byzantines and cumans. Mikan died taking belgrade from the byzies, and the cumans were beaten back in the east. Constantinople is still under siege though and a couple large armies of byzie troops have been spotted.

Can you wait until 10pm European time or so? HouseStark has obliged to provide his character and troops in order for me to push back the main ERE stack. After that I'll rush down with only my cav and lift the siege on Constantinople.
    Last edited by Myth; 01-24-2012 at 08:46.

sure

I'm on it right now, just doing my finances before I start the battle. I was disappointed to find a THIRD ERE stack just across from the channel Are spies allowed to open things?

GOD DAMN IT! Just as I was winning the battle I got a "wait for program to respont"

We won the battle. I have screenshots, but an IC writeup will come later. I had preserved 90% of my HA units until the very end of the game, when the enemy general charged at them. I counter charged from all sides with my genreal and all my Hungarian Nobles and Magyar Cav. He slaughtered 5 units by himself. Stupid overpowered AI bonuses

Album
    Last edited by Myth; 01-24-2012 at 19:58.

Thanks for keeping me alive, Myth. lol

The reason I used Rapidshare instead of the file uploader here is that I don't have correct permissions or something and it won't let me use it.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

What does it say when you try to upload?

The reason I used Rapidshare instead of the file uploader here is that I don't have correct permissions or something and it won't let me use it.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    What does it say when you try to upload?
    There's not even an option to upload, just the list of files available to download.

Same for me most often unless i compress it into a .rar but thats prolly due to horribly slow connection. Shows and orange exclamation mark with some code as info

And thank you for keeping my city and people alive noble ally! And to you rest for letting him do it, others fighting your battles should be allowed but avoided at all costs imho.

Well played myth! may i ask how you killed the BG? Usually they're extremely resistant to arrow fire, amazed you brought them down with so little losses

I killed everything but as I said the Genreal just massacred 5 units of HAs of mine. HouseStark's own BG was safe since it too had the AI bonus of +lol to defense. The battle ended abruptly as everyone fled, but fortunately the BG was offered for ransom. I executed them, figuring that 2500 gold might get me 3 Hungarian Nobles but if that stack was allowed to live it'd be a lot harder to push back the ERE.

I'm confused, why didn't House Stark fight the battle himself?

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    I'm confused, why didn't House Stark fight the battle himself?
    Both my forces and the king's were involved and the king outranks me, so I put my forces under his control.

Both my forces and the king's were involved and the king outranks me, so I put my forces under his control.
    Ah, got it - thanks!

okay, I am taking the save in a few hours. Mithri, if you want your stuff to do anything on the campaign map you should send me a pm. Iggy, if you want to make any moves this turn you had better hurry up :)

Quote Originally Posted by myth
    I'm on it right now, just doing my finances before I start the battle.
    I never got an end of turn report from you Myth, if you are still working on it that is fine, just thought maybe you forgot based on that comment.

Ok NB, I'm doing it now!!

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast