Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rekindling the love affair

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Default Re: Rekindling the love affair

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    A MTW3 would rekindle all of our love affairs...
    Hi Edyzmedieval

You may be trolling. So perhaps I'm taking the bait, but...

REALLY? A surfeit of eye candy coupled with a retarded AI and a locked down system which prevents modding? Not to mention having to install malware on your system in order to play a game you have paid for, and being gouged for trivial enhancements. Then there'll be the outrageous pre-release claims, unfulfilled promises, refusal to patch broken elements, etc.

I'll take a pass, thanks.

(Am playing a BKB mod campaign at the moment: Hungarians, Early, Domination, Hard. One hundred and fifty years in and I've only got seven provinces. It's been a real struggle just to survive. Have been hemmed in by super-sized factions right from the off. And I'm loving every minute of it. MTWI, the original and best.)

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

He isn't trolling Victor. He's just being enthusiastic.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trapped in Samsara View Post
    [MTW3] I'll take a pass, thanks.
    +1

Unless they bring back the risk map and move back to the truly tactical battles of the first two games, I would never buy another TW.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi

Brief update on my BKB mod campaign (Hungarians, Early, Hard, Domination) which illustrates why I love this game.

It's 1370. Have expanded steadily so I now own all of Italy, about half of the Balkans, and an arc from Provence through to the provinces immediately north of Austria. Plus the cash dispensing machine known as Egypt. (Say, 25 provinces.) Was doing just about OK money-wise from trade with the enormous Byzantine Empire which controlled all of North Africa, the Levant, modern Turkey, and the Black Sea rim provinces.

The Western Med was largely off-limits to me as I was at war with the Papacy, the Norse, Castille-Leon and the English - mainly due to refusing entry to crusades. And I'm ex-communicated. So I was resigned to seeing out the next 80-odd years and gracefully accepting that I was not going to win this campaign, but neither was I going to be humiliated. At least in my own eyes.

Then my chief accountant suddenly pointed out that revenues had plummeted! I check my friends and foes sitrep and OMFG I'm at war with Byzantium! Those treacherous Greeks!! They attack Egypt. I repel them but at such cost that the province is lost as the sea routes are interdicted so I cannot reinforce. I invade and capture Sicily, and attack two Greek provinces. One invasion force is battered and forced to retreat, the other drives the province's garrison into its castle. The initial round of sea battles are inconclusive. But having consolidated my fleets I have the initiative and local superiority in my coastal regions - at least for the next couple of years.

I reduce Egypt to the Stone Age, pocketing about 7k florins, and fight one last battle of the pyramids against three-to-one odds. I might have won had I even had three or four more companies of decent troops. I, naturally, ransom the survivors which includes a seven-star general.

Am now in a knife fight with a (much bigger) tyrannical opponent at sea and in the East, whilst to the North and West the dogs that impeded the expansion of my enlightened empire lie in wait hoping I will be weakened and falter.

I have a massive (me three stacks, Byzzies six stacks) battle pending in Carpathia, and in the sieged Greek province the Byzzies are surely going to send in a relief force.

Can't wait to get back home tonight. (Real Madrid vs Bayern will be on in the background, but probably will not get much attention.)

God I love this game. Thanks be to all modders everywhere.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace
    Last edited by Trapped in Samsara; 04-17-2012 at 11:32.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I never actually played Medmod. A long, long time ago I disovered MTW XL and have stuck with that ever since. I tried BKB's mod once and allthough it was impressive in many ways there were also several quirks that bothered me. Now that I'm thinking about it, I ought to give it another chance.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I miss the good ol' MTW days...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The Collector's Edition comes with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch?
    You've played the Rage CCG, yeah? (that "Get medieval" action card) Ah, the memories...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234