Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: Mass Effect 3

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    This is what happened in the olden times and this is what I would like to see now.
    All you whipper snappers with your xstations and your playboxes...
    Why, back in my day, we had 5.25 inch disks. 3.5 if we were lucky. And the games that came with them were complete! Not like this namby pamby Dee El Cee stuff you kids are peddling.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae View Post
    All you whipper snappers with your xstations and your playboxes...
    Why, back in my day, we had 5.25 inch disks. 3.5 if we were lucky. And the games that came with them were complete! Not like this namby pamby Dee El Cee stuff you kids are peddling.
    The only console I ever owned was a Chinese NES knockoff which I used to play Contra and Duck Hunt.
    And Dave, I used to love playing Dangerous Dave on the PC.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Back to the multiplayer, the Asari Adept is now my new favorite character class now that I've got a Stasis bubble. It can lock down EVERYTHING, especially Guardians (even when using the power from the front). It's also awesome to use when capturing points since it works as a short-term landmine. Only things I cant lock down are turrets and the Atlas, but that's why I roll with an Engineer.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

I really don't see what all the fuss is about with this "Day One DLC" and I certainly don't see why it's Bioware's fault. If people want to point the finger, they should blame piracy.

This Prothean DLC may well be a major piece of narrative for the game, but it was initially intended to be an exclusive bonus for the Collector's Edition; the alternative would be for EA to completely pull the content from PSN or Marketplace and leave it for CE owners. I, for one, welcome the chance to have this content as I'm only getting the bog-standard version of the game and I'm not fazed by paying a few extra pounds for it.

On the game itself, I'm totally enthralled with the multiplayer aspect like many of you. I've unlocked all the available characters with the exception of the Turian Sentinel and Asari Adept (I wanna try both before the game comes out), but I'm having a blast with the Salarian Infiltrator. Energy Drain is fantastic, both keeping me alive and keeping enemies weakened/immobile for a quick snipe. I'm not having much luck with the Vet Packs though, I keep getting the Drell Vanguard which is a little too squishy for my liking.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    I really don't see what all the fuss is about with this "Day One DLC" and I certainly don't see why it's Bioware's fault. If people want to point the finger, they should blame piracy.
    Harsh DRM or intrusive software like Origin can be blamed on piracy, but I cannot see how you blame Day One DLC on piracy.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

This is completely different from the other day one DLC, the likes of Shale and Cereberus Network. It's a blatant attempt to grab more money from gamers on day one. My opinion is that calling it "immoral" or similar is rather naive, EA is a business and free to charge what they want, when they want, how they want. Like has been mentioned before, if this becomes the norm it's gamers to blame, not developers and publishers. Personally I'll not be bothering with ME3, simply because I'm not overly enamoured with Bioware's recent releases.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Harsh DRM or intrusive software like Origin can be blamed on piracy, but I cannot see how you blame Day One DLC on piracy.
    Playing pirate copies (or indeed, buying the games second-hand or renting them) results in both publishers and developers losing money; I recall a quote from the Heavy Rain team that claimed a few million people played that game without them getting a penny for it due to these problems.

To combat this, the base price was increased but that just perpetuates the problems, so publishers have taken to using incentives to those who buy the game new, but leaving the content to be purchased for $10 for those that want it. The thing is, how many of those people playing second-hand go on to buy that content? And what of the pirates who cannot buy it due to DRMs, Microsoft banning their console or whatever?

How does the company make money when people are experiencing their product for nothing? People may be irked by Online Passes and Day One DLC, but I feel the blame for it falls to piracy and second-hand sales more than it does the greed of publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    My opinion is that calling it "immoral" or similar is rather naive, EA is a business and free to charge what they want, when they want, how they want. Like has been mentioned before, if this becomes the norm it's gamers to blame, not developers and publishers. Personally I'll not be bothering with ME3, simply because I'm not overly enamoured with Bioware's recent releases.
    If people weren't fortunate enough to get the Collector's Edition, and thus the From Ashes content, they'd be complaining about missing out on a major storyline and character arc; instead, EA opt for making this content available for purchase for those without the CE, and there's still complaining. What are they supposed to do in this situation? What would people prefer?

As for the fans boycotting the company by not buying Mass Effect 3, that's their loss. It's like watching two thirds of a film and then walking out. They'll all cave in eventually, once they start hearing about the game.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

It's like watching two thirds of a film and then walking out.
    Not really, unless it was a film in three parts. Part one was something you enjoyed immensely, part two still enjoyable but moving away from what you enjoyed about the first. Then you remember the other recent film from the same company, where part one was fantastic, and part two was a complete piece of ****. Pattern of decreasing quality, from my point of view anyway.

As for missing what happens, I always thought the story was hugely over-rated. Sentient machine life wipes out biological life when it reaches a certain level of technological advancement, yawn, it's been done to death, and done a lot better with more believable universes. My favourite science fiction book series for example (released seven years before ME, just for the record).

Still everyone here seems to be enjoying it, good for them. Just don't assume us ME1 and 2 players who aren't bothering are feeling a sense of loss.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 02-28-2012 at 17:59.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

As for missing what happens, I always thought the story was hugely over-rated. Sentient machine life wipes out biological life when it reaches a certain level of technological advancement, yawn, it's been done to death, and done a lot better with more believable universes. My favourite science fiction book series for example (released seven years before ME, just for the record).

Still everyone here seems to be enjoying it, good for them. Just don't assume us ME1 and 2 players who aren't bothering are feeling a sense of loss.
    Its a bit funny. ME is without a doubt my favorite franchise in gaming at the moment and I enjoy the story a lot, but you're right, its quite an average (bordering cliche) storytelling trope. Its generic sci-fi to the point that a lot of people have made the claim its made that way on purpose in an attempt to mimic to cheese of 80s sci-fi miniseries. I don't think Bioware is smart enough to go that far but I like it all the same. Subjective opinions and all that.

As for multiplayer, I havent played much of it since being involved with CKII - but what little i've played I've been continually frustrated with my unlock purchases. Still not a single race other than Quarian or Drell. That's just insulting. Will probably let the demo lay until launch day since its so close, and i have other things to worry about.

For those planning to play multiplayer after release my Origin name is linked in this thread. I'll be up for co-op post launch.

Probably best to ignore my opinions on modern Bioware games. I'm one of those grumpy old-timers who hate the fact that after releasing KOTOR, Bioware realised they could churn out the same game with a different theme again and again and people would lap it up. And we wouldn't get Baldur's Gate 3.

Thing is no matter how many restrictions the publishers place on their content, DLCs and game, pirates do and will eventually get it. And the publishers know this. AFAIK, till date there are no full proof means to prevent a game from being cracked.
    So if the publishers are really releasing the day one DLCs to combat piracy (which I doubt) they are merely wasting their time, and earning the ire of paying customers.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Thing is no matter how many restrictions the publishers place on their content, DLCs and game, pirates do and will eventually get it. And the publishers know this. AFAIK, till date there are no full proof means to prevent a game from being cracked.
    So if the publishers are really releasing the day one DLCs to combat piracy (which I doubt) they are merely wasting their time, and earning the ire of paying customers.
    There is only one that I know of so far: ArmA II.

If anything is out of the ordinary at all with the files, eventually your guns become so inaccurate that you literally cannot hit the side of a barn at ten paces.

There's no way around it because it's part of the game's design, not just some stuff slapped on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Its a bit funny. ME is without a doubt my favorite franchise in gaming at the moment and I enjoy the story a lot, but you're right, its quite an average (bordering cliche) storytelling trope. Its generic sci-fi to the point that a lot of people have made the claim its made that way on purpose in an attempt to mimic to cheese of 80s sci-fi miniseries. I don't think Bioware is smart enough to go that far but I like it all the same. Subjective opinions and all that.
    Well, the (awesome) 80s synth soundtrack adds at least a little circumstantial evidence for that theory.
    Last edited by Graphic; 02-29-2012 at 07:05.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

So... the script leaked. It's terrible. Discuss.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

It's totally fair to judge a script from a video game with branching conversations and a million game states based on your choices from the first two, and no voice acting or context for any of the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post

I did not even hear when this happened. I googled it but then realised that I did not want to click on any of the links no matter what. Been waiting to hear the end of this story since...ME1...lol. No use spoiling it now!

Probably best to ignore my opinions on modern Bioware games. I'm one of those grumpy old-timers who hate the fact that after releasing KOTOR, Bioware realised they could churn out the same game with a different theme again and again and people would lap it up. And we wouldn't get Baldur's Gate 3.
    http://baldursgate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Where is it / what's so bad about it?

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

This, exactly this. Bioware in its current state as judged by the games they put out would not recognize themselves if the company they were previously bumped into them today. In fact, the good doctors would no doubt have done a re-enactment of body snatcher pointing at who they are today in horror. I know I do.

Oh, and to Monk's point above about the story, so true. Gaming when it comes to story telling doesn't even count as being in its infancy, that would give it too much credit and suggest it's doing even as good a job at telling a story as silent movies did in the beginnings of cinema. When in reality most the stories in games are laugh out loud bad.

And in closing, I count myself among those who will never, not in a million years, ever buy a game EA publishes and tries to shove down my throat via Origin. I will, quite literally, quit playing PC Games before I'll ever buy anything affiliated to EA. Period. Full stop.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

BioWare might change Mass Effect 3 script in wake of leak (No spoilers, just article).

Unfortunately the early script reads like very bad fan-fiction, Dragon Age 2 bad. Fortunately now it's leaked it'll likely see changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Where is it / what's so bad about it?
    If you want to spoil it, here. DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS.
    Last edited by naut; 03-01-2012 at 09:44.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

How can they change the script? The game has to be days from gold status.

Also, this:

"He added, however, that Mass Effect isn’t a book. It’s much more than words on a page, and things like facial expressions, music, lighting, choreography, tone, and setting all drastically alter the way a story’s told. A script, then, is hardly indicative of the final product."
    Last edited by Graphic; 03-01-2012 at 10:02.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Useful for ME 1 & 2 playthroughs; a great texture mod:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/26/ma...in-characters/

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

NVM.
    On second thoughts all this should stay in the BW forums.

Why does it appear that now-a-days Bioware have made it a hobby of theirs to their own stories?
    Either ruin canon, or ruin choices, or ruin endings, or do all of that together.

So is anyone else following the ending fiasco at all?
    Last edited by rajpoot; 03-04-2012 at 18:37.

I'm going to gg out of this forum for a few weeks to prevent myself from running into the inevitable flood of LOLOMGSPOILERS.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yaaaaaaaaaay. One less annoyance to deal with.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You can reject that bizarre looking reporter and apparently not have to deal with her. WOOT.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Super duper spoil, don't say I didn't warn you.
    I mean it.
    Mooooooordin!
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A preemptive reminder to everyone to PUT SPOILERS IN SPOILER TAGS.

Thanks,
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am so tempted to make up "Spoilers" and post them to get people frustrated, then knowing my luck, I end up actually being correct and do spoil the game for people, myself included.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Had some time alone with ME3 so i'm gonna dump thoughts here.

What I like:

Combat. As tight as it was in the demo and just as fun, the expanded arsenal is a welcome touch too, and i'm surprised by how hard ME3 can be. In the last ME games there was always a point where i could turn a corner and make the game my own. In the first, it was my biotic jugglers who could bounce entire rooms at once. In ME2 it was somewhere after Horizon that your leveling just got too strong for collectors to handle. Here? Nah. Good balance all around, both weapon and enemy scaling. What I HATE though is no heavy weapons. I am really missing my arc projector <3

N7 missions that dont suck: You know, the strict side missions from the game that used to scream "filler" content? Well they rock in this ME3. Bioware put some real effort into making them feel like apart of the game instead of just hastily hammered on to grind resources with. I feel like i'm doing something worthwhile when I do them.

Co-Op: My love for it has been displayed elsewhere. Copy/paste Combat section here.

The Story: Its been good thus far with no "are you serious? -_-" moments yet. Bioware has taken the Metal Gear Solid 4 approach to ME3. No there's no huge conspiracy involving dumb psudo-espionage (at least not yet i don't think) i mean that every single person you've met seems to have shown up for 3. Anyone you've helped or hindered is back to either return the favor or make your life a bit harder. Including some old friends who might not be so friendly anymore...

NO MORE MINI GAMES TO UNLOCK DOORS. FINALLY. GOD. Hacking and bypass minigames are gone. I hope Bioware never gets it in their head to make them for other games. Ever. Again.

War Assets system. Its pretty cool! Building an army isnt as simple as just doing one companion mission and being done with it. Doing a race mission unlocks their path, and you go down it doing extra missions as well. The more you do, the more effort that race will put in toward the final goal. Unfortunately this creates a bit of a problem i'll mention later.

What I don't like:

Conversations and companion management. Stupid stupid stupid. dialogue paths have definitely been simplified when you're out in the world and you can't talk to companions whenever you want. No more random investigating whenever you wanna hear a story. You long indepth conversations only at certain points. There's a number of them, but I still don't like it. No sir.

Too much. Too fast. Slow down. I'm getting bombarded with so many things, words, ideas, objectives and needs from the people i'm picking up that I'm not sure which is more important. I have NO idea what has time limits, what will happen if x instead of y, and no idea what the consequences might be. Some of this comes from it being a new game, but some is sloppy conveyance on Bioware's part. Which leads me to my next point.

What the heck happened the the Journal? It was always basic. But it at least told me where to go on a certain quest. Sometimes you won't get that and you'll get stuck running around like "where do I goooo, what do I doo!?"

War Readiness system. Lets get this out of the way now, if you want the best ending you need to play Multiplayer. There's really no way around it and bioware lied to you. War readiness is the multiplayer tie in with the single player game. The more MP you play, the more your readiness rises. The higher your readiness the better your amassed armies can fight the reapers. It seems account bound to your origin so you only need to grind it up once - but make no mistake it IS a grind. You trade planetary scanning from ME2 with Co-op in ME3. An improvement, but it still screws you over a bit.

Plot oversights:

Why is Udina on the council? Why does no one say anything about this and its expected I know whats going on? No one ever explains this. Ever. I put Anderson on the council. The logical conclusion is that Anderson resigned to head up Reaper defense but its such a shock to see. No one ever comes out and explains it. Its jarring.

Even with the bad I played this game for 5 hours yesterday. Its a Mass Effect game alright and thus far I really like it. But I can see why people got upset with Bioware. The game is certainly more shooty and actiony rather than RPG(y?).
    Last edited by Monk; 03-07-2012 at 00:03.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been told for spoilerish reasons that if you do not, you get really bad endings. Apparently, there are major plot hooks in the first two games which decides many factors. So if you got saved files or even just going to do one of those "I picked these options edited" save files, I suggest you use them. It really meant to penalise those who are starting anew (like me, since I got xbox version)
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-07-2012 at 04:10.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast