Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1449

Thread: Crusader Kings II

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Sometimes the title calculation is a bit buggy when it comes to heirs. Hover over the button, it should tell you who the title will go to upon the death of your ruler. if it is your expected heir then feel free to ignore it.

Also remember that if your grandson isn't of your dynasty, then that's a pretty big deal in of itself and may be causing the pop-up/threat of game over. In that case You may need to assassinate a few dozen people to get your dynasty back in the line of succession
    hmm I do not think the dynasty is a problem, when I start the saved game as the heir, I get all of the titles when the ruler dies, but it is not the same, it is like starting a new game.. And actually when I think about it, the warning of "title loss on succession" has been there since the female ruler came in power, I suspect a bug.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeueX View Post
    hmm I do not think the dynasty is a problem, when I start the saved game as the heir, I get all of the titles when the ruler dies, but it is not the same, it is like starting a new game.. And actually when I think about it, the warning of "title loss on succession" has been there since the female ruler came in power, I suspect a bug.
    Yeah it's very possible, i've noticed it rarely too. Like, the game is convinced I will lose all my titles upon succession, when in reality, the transition of power looks perfect and usually is so. My advice would be to just do what you're doing now: Save often and keep an eye on it, but don't worry too much about it

You might even consider reporting it as a bug on the paradox CK2 forums.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Yeah the Mongols are pretty tough. The only way to beat them if you are an eastern power is to spend the entire game prepping for them. Building levy boosting buldings and doing everything you can to raise retinue and levy caps. Strong kings with high diplomacy or Stewardship are a must, as are alliances with other great powers.

I went face to face with the mongols in a Ryazan -> Rus game where I spent from 1066 to 1230 preparing for the golden horde. The best defense I found was getting my dynasty onto the thrones of nearby kingdoms like Hungary and Denmark, while at the same time expanding my power base through the steppes.

It can be rough if you're on the north east because mst of those provinces, quite frankly, suck. You have to put thousands of gold into making them worthwhile, and even then, you still wont be on equal footing without hefty alliances.

Battle tactics revolve around drawing the mongols into a fight on rough terrain with everything you have. Every mercenary company you can hire, every alliance you can call and every last levy and retinue you got. The Old tactic used to be to split your army into three and string them across three provinces, each able to support one another. Then, draw the mongols in with a deceptively weak center, then move in quick to reinforce from both sides when they engage.

Unfortunately the Mongol AI has gotten 'smarter' in that it now moves around in a giant doomstack and obliterates anything that moves. Countering that monster is almost impossible on your own, alliances, huge treasuries and income (for mercenaries) and a ton of prep work is really the only way to defy the mongols in their current balance. Should you fail, huge crusades or the passage of time will be the downfall of the mongols.

Eventually their stacks almost always get worn down as seeing the golden horde go on a world conquest is much rarer these days than it used to be. However, whether you will be around to see it is another story. Especially if you enjoy playing on the eastern map like I do!

This is a very small reason I am looking forward to The Old Gods. An extra 200 years to prep for the mongols.
    I abandoned Cuman game and started a new one as Rurikovich dynasty. With some luck I managed to unite the Rus and claim the title of the King of Rus. First two successions were a pain with half of my kingdom rebelling against me. I managed to deal with that and last two transitions of power were smooth, with no rebellions, thanks to imprisoned dukes and heavy bribing. The last one was exceptionally tough as my 30 year old king died and left a 3 year old girl in power. Well, that little girl about 40 now and commanding huger respect from her vassals, having 100 relations with most of them. Moscow is steadily growing in tech 10/9/5 now, the culture tech behind mostly due to my patriarch being constantly elsewhere to convert religion. I except the next transition of power to go smooth also.

Il-khanate will arrive soon, and at the moment I have a dynastic alliance with rather big Kingdom of Georgia, holding land from both Georgia and Alania. Only worthwhile allies in the region is Byz of course. I've found that other strong allies like Poland or HRE aren't useful because by the time they get there, the war is already over. Mongols devastate my land with their 100 000 strong attrition free stack, and soon get to 100% warscore.

I will probably be able to muster around 120 000 levies of my own in a couple of decades but as always the problem will be combining them fast enough to actually combat the Mongols, without suffering too much attrition and with mongols not assaulting every holding to get 100% warscore fast.

I'm still undecided whether I should conquer easternmost duchies. I've left them purposefully in the hands of Cumania (tengri) to maybe force the il-khanate to go south. Down there there is an immensely powerful Sultanate of Egypt having 140 000 levies at the moment. Also, I won't have the time to properly upgrade those holdings so Mongols would assault/conquer them rather easily, giving them warscore quickly. What do you think? A good strategy?

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

Good job in the unification of the Rus! That's probably one of my favorite places to start at the 1066 date. Lots of room for expansion and freedom to do what you want while still presenting lots of challenges.

I'm still undecided whether I should conquer easternmost duchies. I've left them purposefully in the hands of Cumania (tengri) to maybe force the il-khanate to go south. Down there there is an immensely powerful Sultanate of Egypt having 140 000 levies at the moment. Also, I won't have the time to properly upgrade those holdings so Mongols would assault/conquer them rather easily, giving them warscore quickly. What do you think? A good strategy?
    it might even buy you a little time if you leave those duchies as a buffer, say, an extra 5 years before their eventual invasion.

Don't forget assassinations! It may be worth it to try to assassinate some of the best mongol generals. Locate the mongol leader and take a look at his court after the invasion, see if you can select individuals and determine who his best generals are. Something to keep in mind is that the mongols great power comes from their battle tactics, which cannot be used if the AI lacks good commanders. A few well placed (and lucky) assassinations might be the key to winning a crucial fight on the flank that could determine the war.

A few things things to note about the Mongol Invasion:

1. Every new khan can call in reinforcements until the year 1300. But once he does, he no longer can do that during his life time. So you never want to assassinate the khan directly.

2. Every 10-20 years the mongols will return with much less troops and attempt reinvasions, should their initial invasion fail. These will go on until 1300, the mongols will bring anywhere from 20000 to 60000 men in these 'lesser' invasions. Not the doomstacks of the first, but something you must contend with.

3. If they at any time convert they automatically lose the ability to call in new troops.

I like to think of the Mongols (and later Timur) as the boss battles of CK2. They are really tough and they require a lot of planning to approach with a hope of victory. My advice would be to save on the eve of the invasion and then continue in a different slot. If at first you don't succeed, try to refight the war from the beginning and see if you can do any better by adjusting your tactics. The Mongols are meant to be big blob shatterers, so don't be dismayed if you gotta give it more than one try to beat them.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-18-2013 at 01:15.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Bah, another game down the drain -

Il-khanate appeared about 1 year after I loaded up my save. Georgia attacked Cumania for Abkhazia, called me in but Cumans called Il-khanate. I quickly mobilized as I've seen their stacks divided hoping to destroy them one by one. I could mobilize 80000-90000 but attrition killed me as most provinces in the east can't support more than 40000. In the end some 60000 remained and I managed to destroy one of their 20000 stack but they quickly combined the rest into a 100000 doomstack and utterly destroyed my army, with less than 1000 losses. Less than two years later Golden Horde appeared and immediately declared war on me. I was still recovering and could only muster about 50000 troops. I severely mauled one of their stacks, only 7 thousands left out of initial 20 but they combined two in one 40 something thousands stack and attacked my 30 thousand strong army while I was moving another 25 thousands to reinforce them. But they got there sooner, killed of my first army with negligeble losses and proceeded to do the same to the reinforcing army.

Again I surrendered hoping to buy some time and save money for mercenaries but raising my retinues all over again a few times drained my treasury. A few years later Il-khanate declared war and while I was trying to hurt them even slightly GH declared war again.

This is the first time I've seen both hordes appear within a two years of each other and somehow, both thought I was a juicy target. I was allied to Denmark, Georgia and HRE, all answered my call to arms but only Georgia sent 10000 troops before the war was over.

Gonna move west for my next game cause I really don't know how can I possibly defeat the hordes unless I'm maybe Byz, but starting as the most powerful nation isn't appealing to me.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Yeah, as the Byzantines you can get powerful enough before the hordes arrive that they won't even want to declare war on you.

If you play as them in the 1081 start (Alexiad) it's a little more interesting as you have the Rum Sultanate to contend with first, but once you've beaten them and taken back half of Anatolia you're set for the rest of the campaign. The fun in playing the Basileus mostly comes from restoring the Roman Empire somewhere down the line.

I've just mended the schism in my game, but it was a pain getting a claim on Rome and it'll be more annoying to get claims on Genoa and Venice, who both converted to Orthodox with the change. After that, though, it's Imperial Conquest CB all the way till I restore the Empire's historical borders!
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Yikes. I've been playing a game in Spain and the British Isles (I swapped to an Irish count of my dynasty once I became Emperor of Hispania), and so hadn't really given much thought to the Hordes, especially after they both near-simultaneously converted to Nestorianism. However, whilst idly browsing the 'independent realms' ledger I noticed the Ikkhanate has a 250 thousand strong army, with the Golden Horde having another 150 thousand. I'm thinking once I've fully united Britain I'll switch to the fairly powerful Kingdom of Greece (also of my dynasty) and see if I can take them on. Are their troops still resistant to attrition after they convert?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Yikes. I've been playing a game in Spain and the British Isles (I swapped to an Irish count of my dynasty once I became Emperor of Hispania), and so hadn't really given much thought to the Hordes, especially after they both near-simultaneously converted to Nestorianism. However, whilst idly browsing the 'independent realms' ledger I noticed the Ikkhanate has a 250 thousand strong army, with the Golden Horde having another 150 thousand. I'm thinking once I've fully united Britain I'll switch to the fairly powerful Kingdom of Greece (also of my dynasty) and see if I can take them on. Are their troops still resistant to attrition after they convert?
    Wow, what? That can't all be doomstacks... how big are the hordes in your world? Show us a screenshot!

edit: As far as I know, once the horde converts they can still use their doomstacks (and yes they are attrition proof) but they lose the ability to call their powerful invasions. They are forced to use the claim system or fight holy wars for single duchies at a time.

Fortunately, if they are powerful and have large areas of land, those numbers you are seeing might be coming from more traditional levy and retinue caps which do suffer attrition.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-20-2013 at 02:04.

Wow, what? That can't all be doomstacks... how big are the hordes in your world? Show us a screenshot!

edit: As far as I know, once the horde converts they can still use their doomstacks (and yes they are attrition proof) but they lose the ability to call their powerful invasions. They are forced to use the claim system or fight holy wars for single duchies at a time.

Fortunately, if they are powerful and have large areas of land, those numbers you are seeing might be coming from more traditional levy and retinue caps which do suffer attrition.
    This is my first game that's lasted until the hordes arrived, and it's proved to be pretty interesting:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I started as Castille, and managed to unite Spain (except for a chunk on the east coast owned by Pisa). In the process, I managed to put a ruler of my dynasty on the throne of Sicily and Greece, both of which were won in crusades. Sicily started out strong, taking most of the land in North Africa that Greece currently owns, but lost the majority of it's territory to Greece through inter-realm inheritance and a few wars. Greece went surprisingly well considering that their founding ruler was an imbecile, but with only a little support from Spain they managed to carve out a fair chunk of territory. I don't think they've ever been allied to the Byzantine Empire, but together they managed to break the backs of the Muslim powers before the Hordes arrived (which contributed greatly to the success of the Ilkhanate). Islam is now practically extinct in Europe.

Nothing particularly exciting had been happening in the rest of the world. France had been a powerhouse for about one hundred years (being a very helpful ally of Castille when it was first growing), but now is a patchwork of independent states. The HRE has stood strong throughout, expanding into Norway and Finland. Unfortunately they were struck by their first major civil war just as their allies the Cumans (who had united all of Russia and fielded about 80000 levies) were attacked by the Golden Horde, which ended poorly for them. The Pope launched a crusade to retake Poland, but as the HRE did not deign to take part it failed miserably. However, somewhat miraculously both the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate converted nigh-simultaneously to Nestorianism about 30 years ago, and since then their borders have been frozen pretty much in their current locations.

Current plans are to finish up with unifying Britain, then I'll swap over to Greece, take out the Byzantine Empire and defeat the Ilkhanate somehow. Easy, right?

Monk 

That's quite a campaign plan.

Think you can do all of it in just 140 years?

And 250k levies is actually not ridiculous for ~1300 (~1200, when the Mongols arrive, is really stretching it though). Impressive for a computer-controlled nation though, usually I only see the Fatimids/Seljuks, or maybe HRE or Byz get to be that big. I guess it makes sense with the Mongols.

Monk 

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    This is my first game that's lasted until the hordes arrived, and it's proved to be pretty interesting:

I started as Castille, and managed to unite Spain (except for a chunk on the east coast owned by Pisa). In the process, I managed to put a ruler of my dynasty on the throne of Sicily and Greece, both of which were won in crusades. Sicily started out strong, taking most of the land in North Africa that Greece currently owns, but lost the majority of it's territory to Greece through inter-realm inheritance and a few wars. Greece went surprisingly well considering that their founding ruler was an imbecile, but with only a little support from Spain they managed to carve out a fair chunk of territory. I don't think they've ever been allied to the Byzantine Empire, but together they managed to break the backs of the Muslim powers before the Hordes arrived (which contributed greatly to the success of the Ilkhanate). Islam is now practically extinct in Europe.

Nothing particularly exciting had been happening in the rest of the world. France had been a powerhouse for about one hundred years (being a very helpful ally of Castille when it was first growing), but now is a patchwork of independent states. The HRE has stood strong throughout, expanding into Norway and Finland. Unfortunately they were struck by their first major civil war just as their allies the Cumans (who had united all of Russia and fielded about 80000 levies) were attacked by the Golden Horde, which ended poorly for them. The Pope launched a crusade to retake Poland, but as the HRE did not deign to take part it failed miserably. However, somewhat miraculously both the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate converted nigh-simultaneously to Nestorianism about 30 years ago, and since then their borders have been frozen pretty much in their current locations.

Current plans are to finish up with unifying Britain, then I'll swap over to Greece, take out the Byzantine Empire and defeat the Ilkhanate somehow. Easy, right?
    Incredible. I've never seen such an even split between religions so late in the game. Muslim religions are almost gone and the hordes picked Nestorian of all things to convert to? Talk about random... I love it! The hordes won't be getting any more reinforcement stacks, that's for sure. Not only because it's passed 1300 but also because they converted. And since the Il-Khanate has some of the most prosperous lands in the game (those persian provinces are incredible troop producers) I wouldn't be surprised if more than a large part of that troop count came from levies.

Your world is divided between east and west with nigh perfect religion borders. A fragmented west facing off against a unified East. You've got a monumental task ahead of you but I gotta admit, I'm a little envious. That's gonna be all sorts of fun.

The Timurids will be coming sometime after 1360 and represent the "final boss" of the campaign. Timur will be striking the Il-Khanate through Khiva. Time your initial strikes to coincide with his advance. His vanguards should put a serious dent into any remaining doomstacks the Il-Khanate may have and may give you a powerful opening to begin your bloody work.

And remember. The timer runs out at 1453. Good luck

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A quick modding could push the date back further, though the army stacks will really get large then. A fully upgraded county will rival a starting countries army.

I have noticed the weirdest thing in my game, 'White Ethiopians'. Due to some marriage choices and things of the Abyssinian Kingdom, they have some how managed to produce themselves as genetically Western Europeans.

I have since writing above, searched through them all to see how many are like that, and it is King and Duke, and a couple of counts. However, I managed to find a count who is 'Black' and guess what... he wasn't Ethiopian, he was German.
    Last edited by Beskar; 02-20-2013 at 15:38.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    A quick modding could push the date back further, though the army stacks will really get large then. A fully upgraded county will rival a starting countries army.

I have noticed the weirdest thing in my game, 'White Ethiopians'. Due to some marriage choices and things of the Abyssinian Kingdom, they have some how managed to produce themselves as genetically Western Europeans.

I have since writing above, searched through them all to see how many are like that, and it is King and Duke, and a couple of counts. However, I managed to find a count who is 'Black' and guess what... he wasn't Ethiopian, he was German.
    I once saw an Ethiopian Holy Roman Emperor and a russian Queen of England.. in separate games, of course! It's very rare, but that kind of radical shift is pretty humorous to see.

In the last few rounds of testing for my mod I played a lot as Aragon to see if I could turn the single county kingdom into a power. It's probably my favorite start and the best way I've found to measure the balance of that region, and it lets me test some of my more wild ideas like female commanders in a real way. It always proves to be one of the more challenging things to do and I don't always succeed, but I usually have fun.

I've never actually hated this game before. That was before I was locked in a bitter struggle for freedom against a numerically superior Almoravid Sultanate, launching an invasion of my kingdom...

1086. Winter. After twenty bloody years of unification the kingdom of Aragon was taking shape at long last. From the meager province of Alto Aragon it had grown to encompass much of the northern eastern counties. Having been at war for nearly twenty straight years under its Crusader Queen Maria 'The Lion' de Murcia the kingdom desperately needed a time of peace to consolidate it's power and establish firm hold over the lands it had conquered, but no such luck.

In 1086 after having watched for twenty years while Aragon broke and defeated each Muslim county one by oine in the north the powerful Almoravid Sultanate in the south launched an invasion, determined to put down the new upstart kingdom and outflank the battered Kingdom of Castile in one fell swoop. With the death of the late Castillian king only a few short years before the old alliances forged two decades prior were dead. Aragon stood alone against the terrible menace at her borders.. or did it? A rider appeared on the horizon at the 11th hour, just as the Aragonese marshaled their forces.

The Regent of Castile, with full support of the child king sent an envoy pledging their support in defense of the Aragonese throne. Queen Maria pulled her forces back to the river Alagon, near the village of Frades de la Sierra to await reinforcements. It would be there the fate of her kingdom would be decided.

Aragon's forces were tired and exhausted after countless seasons spent campaigning, bringing new countiess into the fold. But they were a proud band, not one among them doubted their conviction.

The fighting was savage and desperate as the Sultan of the Almoravids himself led the center against the combined strength of the northern kingdoms. Both sides refused to give way as fighting is said to have lasted for as long as two weeks. Each day beginning with a new charge, and each night ending with the counting of the dead. The rivers ran red in those long bloody weeks, but through great sacrifice and loss, the battle was won and the northern Christians claimed victory. The Sultan fell back to Albarracin county and dug in. The Aragonese and Castilians, swelled with pride and confidence, followed them in their retreat. But the north's forces were heavily disorganized after the Battle of the Alagon, it's suspected Christian forces suffered as deep as 60% casualties in the battle despite their victory.

The follow up battle proved disastrous and saw the destruction of the allied northern army. Immediately in response to the defeat, a powerful faction backing a pretender to the Castilian throne rose up in open revolt, challenging the regency of the child king. Castile withdrew her battle weary survivors and returned home to deal with the insurrection, leaving Aragon well and truly alone.

For two years the southern counties were ravaged by the victorious armies of the Sultan as they pressed their advantage. The warchests were empty and hope seemed to dim. There were no more soldiers to fight the war, and no money to finance a new campaign even if their were. It was then, when all expectations of victory had faded that a messenger arrived from the Pope. In His Holiness' infinite wisdom, he had observed the ongoing conflict and had sent his envoys to convey his full support. The gesture was largely symbolic, but the chests of gold the envoy delivered were far more than that. The wealth was more than enough to scrape together a counter-attack and drive the Muslim forces out of Aragon once and for all!

The armies clashed in Zaragoza, the forces of the Aragonese backed by substantial mercenary troops (with some coming as far as Ireland to take part in the campaign) attacked the Sultanate and his forces, who by now were laden with the riches stolen from the provinces of the south. The attack was fierce and halted the Sultanate's powerful advance, stomping cold his push into the north and crushing his army. It was the first major victory in over two years for Christian forces. The mercenary troops continued south and liberated the occupied county of Albarracin. Unfortunately, that is where the campaign had to draw to a close. Unable to support the expensive cost of so many professional soldiers the Aragonese delivered the last payments to the troops who had fought for them and brought an end to their contracts.

For 18 months the borders of the two belligerent realms were quiet. Castile still struggled against the pretender in the west and so were no threat to anyone, in the meantime however, the Sultanate and Aragon continued desperate attempts to rebuild. Whichever kingdom could come up with either the manpower, or the wealth, to support one last campaign would be the victor of the conflict..

Unfortunately for the north that was the Sultanate. Marshaling a powerful force of over 6,000 me the Sultan returned with renewed purpose and smashed the Aragonese defense at the Third Battle of Albarracin. Worse still the defeat cost the Kingdom of Aragon it's most powerful warleader, the Lion of Aragon herself, Maria de Murcia.

Broken, leaderless, and with little hope for victory, the Kingdom of Aragon passed to Ramiro II, son of the late Maria and thought to be one of the greatest military minds of his generation. The Sultan was swelled in confidence as he marched further north and entered the mountainous county of Alto-Aragon. It was there that he encountered a rebuilt and strong army, hardened by almost a half decade of war. The army was not of Aragon, but of Castile, who had finally put down their rebellion and returned to the battlefields in the east. Ramiro II in command of only a small retinue of his own men, took control of the allied effort and smashed the Muslim advance. His victory officially marks the turning point in the war, outnumbered 3 to 1, Ramiro's victory is a battle that military scholars studied endlessly for centuries afterward

But even with the great victory Ramiro faced an empty treasury and an inability to go on the attack. There just wasn't enough money or men to propel the war machine forward. Was it luck, or was it fate that then intervened? It's hard to say, but shortly after the bloody battle in the northern mountains an envoy from the Venetian dodge arrived, carrying with them great chests of gold! They wished to open new markets on the shores of Aragon and hoped that they money would serve as an incentive for the great King Ramiro to permit such things. Ramiro welcomed the foreign merchants with opened arms. The following year, the beleaguered northern forces launched the final counter attack of the war and completely ruined the Sultan's dreams of pacifying the Kingdom of Aragon. The veterans of the Battle of Alto-Aragon, backed by mercenaries bought with Venetian gold, were far too much for the weary Almoravid troops. Eight years after the outbreak of hostilities the great Sultan of the Almoravids conceded defeat and the invasion was officially brought to a close.

It would be the beginning of the end for Muslim dominance of the Western Mediterranean. Ramiro II moved quickly, cementing his alliance with a marriage of the Castilian King to his sister. The union would last and as each Kingdom fully supported the other through the coming decades, as one power grew, so too did another. With the powerful alliance at home, Ramiro further increased his power by remembering his Venetian allies. In 1106 he expelled all Geonese traders from his lands, opening the way for Venice to claim dominance of the trade in eastern Iberia. Back by the Venetian Doge abroad and supported by his brother-in-law in Castile, Ramiro oversaw the greatest military expansion of the Kingdom in its history. Surpassing that of even his mother's reign, his wars would make Aragon well and truly whole.

In 1120 after decades of continued war, a powerful Kingdom of Aragon (now fully in control of Valencia, Barcelona and all of de jure Aragon) claimed victory in a papal sponsored Crusade for Sicily, extending the power of the court of Aragon as far as the boot of Italy.

Or maybe I love to hate it! I don't know which, one of the two for sure.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-07-2013 at 01:38.

Have you guys played mulitplayer/had trouble getting multiplayer working? I introduced the game to a group of friends and we all enjoy it. Multiplayer is great fun as well. (We've managed to get 5 players join so far).

Impressive, Monk. And with no help from France at all- that's quite a feat. I've done the same as Navarra, but always had to call in the big guys to help get me started.

As for multiplayer - I think I have it set up fine, but I don't actually know enough people to get a game going - and if I did I don't really have the time in my schedule. I've been trying to get my roommate to get it, though. I'm sure it's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Impressive, Monk. And with no help from France at all- that's quite a feat. I've done the same as Navarra, but always had to call in the big guys to help get me started.
    I got incredibly lucky. If it wasn't for the republic making doges give you money should they want to build stuff in your land, and the Pope sending me some money for being a stalwart defender of Christendom, i'd have lost in the 1090s after my Queen died. I just didn't have the manpower to fight them by myself, and that rebellion in Castile's homeland couldn't have come at a worse time.

I was hoping that any war from the Almoravids would be targeted at Galicia or Castile. Unfortunately for me, Galicia fell to another power early on and Castile, i guess, was a bit too powerful to risk it against. I was in the middle of a much needed cooldown and rebuilding period before the first crusade was about to be called. I wanted to claim Jerusalem, instead, i was fighting for my life at home. Even with cooperation from Castile it was a close one.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Have you guys played mulitplayer/had trouble getting multiplayer working? I introduced the game to a group of friends and we all enjoy it. Multiplayer is great fun as well. (We've managed to get 5 players join so far).
    I'd love to get some MP going. I need a better comp though. I just did a huge move and I'm stuck on a crappy laptop for now. I can barely handle singleplayer let alone MP
    Last edited by Monk; 03-07-2013 at 05:20.

Hello guys, I used to have a very good event file which did pretty much everything. Add traits, Add army, Add diplomatic relationships, gets your wife pregnant, claims.... As I said pretty much everything.

I lost this file, do you know which one is it and where I can find it? I think it's unique so it's possible to know what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Dev Diary 1 - A Different Europe

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...fferent-Europe

The first dev diary is out. There are some maps with tranversible rivers (a bit like sea zones/straits, but clearly visible), looting, and talks a bit about bonus and penalty for different pagan beliefs.

And this is a funny thread. I couldn't help but laugh while reading it.

Monk 

I want it. Now.

That looting system looks incredible.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Just wondering what you guys feel about the state of CK2 with the dlc? I played a lot (heck of a lot...) of the original game with the DVIP mod, and found CK2 pretty shallow on release, in terms of events and immersing myself in the game. Have the dlc improved the depth of the game, more regular/varied events? I wouldn't bother with the Aztec dlc, just the others.

Or are there any good mods out there yet to expand on this area? I know your mod adds events and things, Monk. The equality bit would bug me though. Not having a go, just don't like 21st century political correctness in my grand history games.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 03-20-2013 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Just wondering what you guys feel about the state of CK2 with the dlc? I played a lot (heck of a lot...) of the original game with the DVIP mod, and found CK2 pretty shallow on release, in terms of events and immersing myself in the game. Have the dlc improved the depth of the game, more regular/varied events? I wouldn't bother with the Aztec dlc, just the others.
    We'll have to disagree on it being a shallow experience, but odds are if you didn't like the base game the DLC isn't going to do anything to fix that. Most of it is based on giving different flavor to the various faiths or government types of the game. Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome are probably the best for pure immersiveness and flavor factors, though, with The Republic falling a bit short and being too random in how it rewards/punishes you.

Or are there any good mods out there yet to expand on this area? I know your mod adds events and things, Monk. The equality bit would bug me though. Not having a go, just don't like 21st century political correctness in my grand history games.

Considering in CK1 women could be Steward, Chancellor and Spymaster without restriction I didn't see much reason to have the sequel change that. The only liberty I've taken is the ability for high martial women to be marshal and lead troops, which is specifically limited to ability, education and traits. I don't consider it political correctness, otherwise I would have just allowed them to do everything across the board, including the ability for women to lead bishoprics, which I haven't done. You're free to disagree though, as I knew not everyone would like that direction.

As for mods that seek to change immersion/balance there's 3 that I find worth mentioning: You'll need to login to the paradox forums to see these links.

VIET is a fun mod to play with that adds mostly immersion events and is pretty modular. It's primarily focused on being a character and roleplay mod first and a balance mod second. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Project Balance is a vanilla based balance mod that attempts to tie in roleplay with balancing. Characters can only do certain things if they have the right traits (you can't betray allies unless you have Wroth, or are ambitious, for example) and its design is very similar to my own mod. For a while I played PB and completely stopped developing my own mod since I enjoyed it so much, but it does a few things I don't like and I eventually turned back to modding myself.

PB is my definite recommendation for people who want to try a balance mod but don't like mine, for whatever reason. VIET also has PB compatible modules, so there's that.

CK2+ is the community favorite. It fundamentally alters almost every gameplay mechanic to the point that you're almost playing a different game, that's probably why some people like it, but I could never get into it. It makes some good choices but also some kinda bad ones, specifically related to middle-east balance and the faction mechanics.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-20-2013 at 22:51.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I didn't mean to come across as overly critical in calling the game shallow, I simply meant in comparison to DVIP, which was a mod with a number of years work behind it, so I didn't expect any less. In terms of the base games, CK2 is light years ahead of the original, and it's clear there is potential for mods that kick DVIP out of the water. I was only semi-serious with the 'political correctness' thing, females being allowed those roles unrestricted in the original was something that bugged me, though I was rarely strong enough to roleplay and not give a highly skilled female one of the positions.

VIET looks like a DVIP style mod so I think I'll give that a whirl sometime soon. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    VIET looks like a DVIP style mod so I think I'll give that a whirl sometime soon. Thanks for the info.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    And this is a funny thread. I couldn't help but laugh while reading it.
    The problem is that the first answer could apply to all the questions in CK2:

Arrange for your wife to be assassinated, especially if she is of bad breeding stock, and marry this courtier.

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

It seems that unfortunately the old gods expansion is the last one. Am I right? because they have solved all the problems in this game. However they can make a lot of expansions for that.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    The problem is that the first answer could apply to all the questions in CK2:
    Ouch, probably unintentionally offensive joke but I can see that ending badly.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-24-2013 at 03:29.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Patch 1.092 is now live on Steam and GamersGate!

Old save games should be completely compatible.

CHECKSUM: ICBN

This patch rebalances Merchant Republics: There is now a limit to how many Trade Posts you can have, based on palace upgrades and the number of adult male dynasty members in your court. "Family Dues" are now paid only to adult male dynasty members in your court, and they all receive the same share. Also, the Seize Trade Post plot has been nerfed in several ways.

Monk 

Definitely a big nerf to Republics; adding a Trade Post limit is going to severely cut their income. Also, requiring a Trade Post before you can do a city war is an extra incentive for the player to embargo.

Also of note in the patch:

Holy War CB has been nerfed to duchies that are adjacent or 1-2 sea regions away.

Truce breaking now has a huge prestige and diplomacy penalty (half your prestige + 200, and -5 diplomacy for 10 years).

I have a feeling Iberia and the East are going to become a lot more static with these changes. It might even help the pagans in the Baltic survive, too, but that's doubtful until the pagan DLC buffs.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 03-25-2013 at 22:17.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    Patch 1.092 is now live on Steam and GamersGate!

Old save games should be completely compatible.

CHECKSUM: ICBN

This patch rebalances Merchant Republics: There is now a limit to how many Trade Posts you can have, based on palace upgrades and the number of adult male dynasty members in your court. "Family Dues" are now paid only to adult male dynasty members in your court, and they all receive the same share. Also, the Seize Trade Post plot has been nerfed in several ways.
    Oh holy crap those are great changes. Absolutely called for, 100%.

Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast