Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1449

Thread: Crusader Kings II

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Very informative summary of the livestream @ pcgamer

A lot of new stuff (to me anyway)

What we learned from the livestream:

The only republics existing at the 867 A.D. bookmark are Venice and Amalfi, the latter being a completely new historical trade union made up of both Italian Catholic and Greek Orthodox patrician families. Genoa and Pisa can both form between 867 and 1066—we saw Genoa pop up during the stream. We’re unsure whether or not they always will.
    According to game designer Chris King, there is a new “Berserker” trait that certain characters can have. The effects and cultural restrictions remain unknown.
    Since there weren’t that many powerful Shiite Muslim landowners in 867, an event will fire after game start that spawns the first Shia Caliph. He will begin as a landless adventurer with a large host of supporters, and carve out a kingdom for himself to begin the Shia rise to power. This event was modeled after the rise of the Mamluks.
    Muslims are given an across-the-board starting boost to technology, due to their historical scientific superiority during the time period the expansion depicts.
    If you have researched too far ahead in any technology track, you will take a percentage penalty to researching the next step until time has caught up to the point at which that tech would have, historically, become available. Thus, rushing down one tech path will now result in less efficient use of tech points over a long campaign.
    You now get a base boost to Military, Economy, and Cultural tech based on the stats of your Marshal, Steward, and Court Chaplain, respectively. Council missions no longer increase your chances of discovering new tech, but rather speed up the spread of tech in the targeted province from all adjacent, higher-tech provinces. This will give you more incentive to actually move your tech research missions around, creating “highways” of tech spread to outlying areas of your realm.
    Any time you capture a fortress as any religion, you will now be able to take prisoners from the court there, such as the ruling lord’s family. If you are a pagan ruler, you can force any such prisoners who are female and of age to become your concubines.
    Succession for pagans treats children of concubines exactly the same as children of wives.
    Zoroastrian rulers are apparently less concerned with incest than other religions. Concrete details were lacking, but they made it sound like marrying your own daughter is all well and good with Ahura Mazda.
    The Jomsvikings are in the game as a Holy Order that can be hired by Norse Pagan rulers. Holy Orders for other pagan religions are still under consideration.
    There will be a much larger mercenary pool, and many cultures that did not have cultural mercenaries will have them now.
    Flavor events surrounding the great East/West schism in Christianity are still being considered, but are not currently in the game. Orthodox and Catholic are still being treated as “effectively separate” in 867.
    If you are a pagan ruler under a Christian liege (such as Erik the Heathen in 1066), some of the pagan mechanics—notably raiding—will be switched off. We’re unsure if this is based only on top-level liege, or if it applies to any liege. (For example, a pagan count under a Christian duke under a pagan king may or may not have these restrictions.)
    Heretics can now rise up in organized rebellions.
    New formable empires include Abyssinia and Mali on either side of Africa. These join the previously-revealed Tartaria, Carpathia, and Italia, such that every province on the map now belongs to a de jure empire.
    Dublin will be ruled by the Norseman Ivar the Boneless, son of Ragnar Lodbrok, in 867.
    Pagans have the ability to sacrifice prisoners for Presige and Piety boosts.

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Great finds xploring

I had to shake my fist a bit at the devs, they are teasing some interesting things for Zoroastrian characters. In the live stream they mentioned numerous times that they'd have some big flavor events. I can barely wait until the Zoroastrian dev diary. I also have my fingers crossed for a Seljuk Invasion event..

Any time you capture a fortress as any religion, you will now be able to take prisoners from the court there, such as the ruling lord’s family.
    This one sounds exciting and scary at the same time. I wonder if there is a choice of prisoners or is it random? Does this mean if any stack even moves towards my capital, I will have to rush back to save my heir/spouse?

I wish there are more interactions between characters though. Gaining traits seems a bit random at the moment, more cause-effect relationship for actions and traits would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    This one sounds exciting and scary at the same time. I wonder if there is a choice of prisoners or is it random? Does this mean if any stack even moves towards my capital, I will have to rush back to save my heir/spouse?

I wish there are more interactions between characters though. Gaining traits seems a bit random at the moment, more cause-effect relationship for actions and traits would be nice.
    There's already a few really fun mods like this, one of which I played around with for a while. It's called Dungeons and Sieges and it really amps up the stakes when it comes to capturing castles. The game is smart enough to know exactly where characters are, if they are leading armies they should be safe from these events provided they are scoped correctly... however, if they aren't leading troops? That would be fair game for capturing...

This change will make playing female rulers extremely dangerous as in vanilla they cannot lead troops and are always in their demesne provinces, unlike men who can be toggled to a command somewhere to keep them 'safe.'

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    There's already a few really fun mods like this, one of which I played around with for a while. It's called Dungeons and Sieges and it really amps up the stakes when it comes to capturing castles. The game is smart enough to know exactly where characters are, if they are leading armies they should be safe from these events provided they are scoped correctly... however, if they aren't leading troops? That would be fair game for capturing...

This change will make playing female rulers extremely dangerous as in vanilla they cannot lead troops and are always in their demesne provinces, unlike men who can be toggled to a command somewhere to keep them 'safe.'
    Indeed. If your desmesne is on the front line or you're fighting a particularly powerful enemy, the best possible choice might actually be to have your family members leading troops rather than vice-versa. Should be a real game-changer, and it'll definitely make Martial more important for rulers, even of larger countries.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

PC Gamer interviews Doomdark re Old Gods

No major revelation but some interesting tidbits

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Dev Diary 4 - The Pagan Reformation

To begin with, religious Moral Authority has been revamped. The base value is now determined by the number of Holy Sites under the control of the religion. On top of this, there are various timed modifiers (think character opinions) for things like winning or losing holy wars, or building temples. This new system applies to all religions, not just the pagans. The pagan religions do tend to start with fewer Holy Sites under their control, but on the other hand there are no pagan heresies to worry about.

Now, as mentioned in previous dev diaries, pagans enjoy a number of advantages, but they also suffer from some frustrating limitations. Foremost, perhaps, is that they are stuck with Gavelkind. Pagan vassals are also a lot more suspicious of new rulers on succession (harsher "short reign" opinions), they cannot demand conversion of vassals, and they are easily impressed by the cunning missionaries of the Abrahamic religions. To avoid these problems, pagans can of course simply give up the old ways and convert, but there is another option; pagan religions can be reformed in imitation of those clever monotheists. With a proper church hierarchy, a holy book, and standardized rituals, the pagan religions can become more competitive.

Reforming the faith is not easy; you need to control three of the holy sites and have a lot of Piety to boot. After reforming, your faith will be given a religious head. In the case of Norse Pagans, the character who conducted the reformation will become the Fylkir, serving as both secular ruler and religious leader in much the same way as an Islamic Caliph. You may now declare holy wars, both great pagan Crusades and regular religious wars against infidels. Other pagan religions get a vassal religious head, like the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople.

There are tradeoffs to reforming the faith, however. You will lose the Subjugation casus belli and the defensive home attrition, and the unreformed version of your religion will become a heresy (which can cause problems for you.) As a pagan, you will normally want to grow quickly using your invasion and subjugation CBs, and then try to either reform your religion or convert in order to consolidate and stabilize your realm...

That's all for now. Next week's topic is special pagan events and decisions!

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Dev Diary 5 - Events, Decisions and Zoroastrians

The events and decisions sound interesting, though there doesn't seem to be many of them for some(most?) pagan faith except Norse...

The dev diary also explain Zoroastrian and its game mechanics in some detail.

Oh wow. Zoroastians get a variant of the sayyid trait for descendants of the character (likely to be you) to reunite the Persian Empire and declare themselves Saoshyant... that is so cool.

Last edited by xploring; 05-14-2013 at 12:17.

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Dev Diary 6 - A Rebel and a Traitor

This one is about rebels (peasants, heretics and "liberators"), adventurers, and new cultures. It's a shame that to play with the new rebel system require the new DLC, but all these changes sound really promising and exciting.

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Dev Diary 6 - A Rebel and a Traitor

This one is about rebels (peasants, heretics and "liberators"), adventurers, and new cultures. It's a shame that to play with the new rebel system require the new DLC, but all these changes sound really promising and exciting.
    The system is fully moddable and it is pretty straightforward to add new rebel types.
    Day 1 buy.

I finally got around to finishing my Komnenian Restoration.

Put a lot of time into this one:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Komnenos line also sits on the thrones of a few Despotates withing the empire, Ireland (but they're heretical Catholics), and Denmark, as soon as the current Queen dies.

Ilkhanate and Timurids never even wanted to mess with me. They were each strong at first, but later splintered due to Sunni having near 0 Moral Authority from me winning so many Holy Wars.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 05-22-2013 at 06:01.

The last dev diary of The Old Gods is out.

Technology gets a revamp. Only dukes or above get points to spend on tech, and only in capitals, tech then spreads to other provinces.

There are also a couple of new steppe cavalry buildings, and a new merchant republic with a new province, Amalfi, in southern Italy.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I think I'm going to like the new Tech system. The old one was so passive that I barely ever pushed the 'Technology' button.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I think I'm going to like the new Tech system. The old one was so passive that I barely ever pushed the 'Technology' button.
    I think a lot of players had that same mindset about Tech. It was essentially something you set at the very start of the game (focus on infastructure, Legalism, Castles..) and never touched again for 400 years. The new system looks absolutely grand in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix
    The Komnenos line also sits on the thrones of a few Despotates withing the empire, Ireland (but they're heretical Catholics), and Denmark, as soon as the current Queen dies.

Ilkhanate and Timurids never even wanted to mess with me. They were each strong at first, but later splintered due to Sunni having near 0 Moral Authority from me winning so many Holy Wars.
    Very impressive.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I think, when I get my hands on TOG, I will create a character called 'Kurush' and rebuild the Persian empire under the guidance of Zoroaster!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

hello.can i ask something?i have the game ck2 and is download no official i can join multiplayer like "host" or i need the official.thank you

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Crusader Kings 2 The Old Gods Expansion is out next week, along with 3 smaller DLCs.
    I am guessing.. Some sort of CoA or Sprite pack, music of the Norse, and music of the Hordes.
    Last edited by Beskar; 05-24-2013 at 16:35.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by giorgos View Post
    hello.can i ask something?i have the game ck2 and is download no official i can join multiplayer like "host" or i need the official.thank you
    As far as I know, you need to register your game on the website in order to access the multiplayer server.

EDIT: @Tiaexz : You're probably right. Norse music and units are a definite. Not sure about Coat of Arms... I'd love that, but it seems unlikely to me.

Personally I don't buy the unit skins because I am usually so zoomed out on the map that I can't even see them.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 05-24-2013 at 20:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    I am guessing.. Some sort of CoA or Sprite pack, music of the Norse, and music of the Hordes.
    http://www.paradoxplaza.com/shop

It's Norse Portraits and Unit Pack, and Hymns to the Old Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I think, when I get my hands on TOG, I will create a character called 'Kurush' and rebuild the Persian empire under the guidance of Zoroaster!
    I have to admit that is one of the biggest attractions for this expansion for me. Rebuilding both the Persian Empire and your faith along with it sounds like loads of fun. And god help me if there's a "Turkish Invasion" event.

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

However i didn't like Mediterranean Portrait and Russian Portrait but I prefer this new DLC, I mean Norse Portrait. Because the faces are more natural.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Official Q&A Thread, with change log for v1.10

Some huge changes with the patch alone. There are so many...

- Liege levies now have 0 morale when raised
    - Bastards may now marry normally. If they have children, they will start a new dynasty.
    - Birth rates have been reduced a lot
    - You now need more than 50% of the de jure counties to usurp or create a title
    - The kingdom of Italy is now a de jure part of the HRE in 1066

You can buy The Old Gods and related minor DLCs on greenmangaming with 20% discount. You will be able to activate them on steam.

I tried to copy the ck2 folder to keep the 1.092 build so I can continue playing old saves, but I don't get the window to choose mods when I open with ck2.exe in the new folder. Is there anything else I need to do for savedgames with mods to work?
    Last edited by xploring; 05-27-2013 at 15:02.

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Official Q&A Thread, with change log for v1.10

Some huge changes with the patch alone. There are so many...

- Liege levies now have 0 morale when raised
    - Bastards may now marry normally. If they have children, they will start a new dynasty.
    - Birth rates have been reduced a lot
    - You now need more than 50% of the de jure counties to usurp or create a title
    - The kingdom of Italy is now a de jure part of the HRE in 1066
    Currently the dynasty is randomly generated. I say currently because when directly asked about this, the dev felt the need to tack on "for now." Read into that what you will!

Almost all the changes are hugely positive. I do not like the HRE having Italy in its De Jure but as always, nothing a little modding won't fix. This patch also claims to have fixed multiplayer sync issues introduced by the republic DLC as well as the sav game crash affecting some players.

I haven't anticipated a patch this much since 1.06. Can't wait to play.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

This patch list is nuts.

Also, favorite minor change:

>- De jure change: Cut the Duchy of Oxford. Gave its counties to Essex/Bedford and Hwicce/Gloucester.

Gonna make my favorite Lannister Lancaster start less of a headache. :P

Blog Entries

Playing my first Old Gods game at the moment. Started as the Count of Skane, and my first goal is to get the Skane areas under my control.

Building is more expensive now with no modifiers to affect the cost. I like the tech system. Hungary just formed in 881, and they reformed the Tengri Faith instead of going Christian or Muslim. I did a very ill fated war against Lotharinga for Zeeland (A Norse Holy Site). Managed to get a force of equal size to theirs, and mine lost, and I instantly went to -47% warscore, I managed to get a White Peace just before then, but yes.. ouch.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I'm considering buying this... (it's 75% off on Steam right now). Thoughts?
    I like tactical combat, which as I understand this game lacks. Does all the political intrigue make up for the lack of tactical combat? What is the biggest highlight of the game?
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    I'm considering buying this... (it's 75% off on Steam right now). Thoughts?
    I like tactical combat, which as I understand this game lacks. Does all the political intrigue make up for the lack of tactical combat? What is the biggest highlight of the game?
    It is a really great game for the type of game it is. So one of those "If it is your cup of tea, it is great. If not, you might not like it at all".

As for political intrigue, it does everything right so far and it has a robust modding community so there will always be changes and variations done by the masses.

Arguably the best time to try it is during a 75% sale due to picking a lot of the Expansions (Byzantine, Muslims and Republics) though the new Pagan one is full-price.

Had 3 hours with the new expansion, so far I am absolutely blown away. If there was any DLC that I could point to and say "this renewed my love for the game" it would be Old Gods. What a fantastic showing. The new technology system works great, as do the buildings.

The 867 start date offers an incredibly less static and highly unpredictable map.

In one game, the Magyars conquered modern Hungary and then expanded their empire across the stepps. In another, the Bulgarians completely destroyed them and they never formed Hungary. In one, Lotharingia united all of Italy and Eastern Francia beneath its banner.. in another, Italy stayed strong, Lotharingia disintegrated into petty fiefdoms and Aquitaine, not France, rose up to be the power in the west. And yet more, in one game the Umayyads united all of Spain and were launching forays into southern France.. and in the next, the northern Christians rallied and held their ground quite effectively.

This bookmark is absolute chaos in the best kind of ways. I love it and cannot wait to play more.

I do have a few concerns. Right now it's very easy for a few powers to snowball and become big blobs. The good news is that, due to the extra 200 years, there's plenty of time for internal strife to catch up to them. I've already seen the Abbasids blob up and then disintegrate under Decadence wars twice.

Norse also have an unfair balance advantage in that prepared invasion forces don't disband after the invasion is over. You get to keep the retinue and ships. Yes, you're limited to 1 invasion per life, but it has the potential to snowball quite easily if you're a smart gamey player.

But beyond that? I am absolutely in love with the Old Gods.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My first game came from Ivar the Boneless, I've united Scotland and am generally being a pretty bad dude. Scotland is incredibly strong beneath Norse occupation, but the strength is tenuous. I have a feeling my sons are going to tear the Kingdom apart after my death. Gavelkind ensures there will be at least two strong contenders in the civil war.

Truth be told? I cannot wait for the chaos to erupt and fight traitorous brothers for a father's crown
    Last edited by Monk; 05-29-2013 at 05:26.

Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast