Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community call to arms: Naval guide

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Community call to arms: Naval guide

Naval engagements have puzzled and frustrated (some) ever since their introduction in ETW. And it has been hard to find a good guide ever since. The introduction of ramming, torpedoes, ironclads, ... will all make it more complex but hopefully also more rewarding after a good fought naval encounter.

So please post as much information as you can on naval strategies and tactics on here. Even if it's somthing you tried but failed to hail the success you wanted. No success is also a result and something the community can build further upon. I'll eventually make this into a guide (with full credits going to everyone involved of course).

My first question:
    How will the introduction of ramming and torpedoes affect the standard crossing of the T. I especially see a problem with torpedoes as it's almost impossible to miss your enemy when they are neatly aligned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Default Re: Community call to arms: Naval guide

The torpedo boats are rather fast but small and don’t take many hits. It’s not easy to close without getting shot up. The torpedoes are not much faster than the ships so you best be close. They fire two at a time directly forward (despite the apparent angle of the tubes) and can reload at least once. You’d be lucky to survive one attack though if you’re under fire. Torpedoes do tremendous damage, even breaking ships in half. It would be very difficult to approach a battle line perpendicularly and survive in any one boat. Several might succeed.

If anyone plans to trade with America because they want a monitor with 360 degree gunnery arcs, forget it. The monitor turrets do not turn. The three turrets have guns on both sides and the ship can only fire broadsides. This was disappointing. I like the naval battles otherwise. The ships are nicely modeled
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

The British Warrior is one epic beast of a ship. I figured they would have a great ship to loan me if I sided with them, so I did and I was happy with that arrangement.

The japanese version of the ironclad has the ramming ability and one potent forwardfacing gun. Ive seen large enemy frigates explode after 2-3 hits. Accuracy is unparalleled but they are slooow, can easily become swarmed with enemy ships. The american gun turrets do not turn, one big turnoff. I have yet to experience the mighty HMS Warrior!

I have not yet seen a ship survive a ramming. It seems the Kotetsu (Japanese Ironclad) is a good ship for this role as all of it's guns other than the forward facing one are gatling guns, allowing you to devastate enemy decks at close range, and of course the forward facing cannon can fire whilst you speed towards the enemy boat.

Explosive shells seem to be the best option against wooden boats, while I'm assuming armour piercing should be used on Ironclads?

Blog Entries

I haven't done a lot of naval battles but the lowly gun boat does seem to have it's uses even when it's facing far superior ships.
    With it's decent speed and it's forward facing gun it can fill in the role that light cavalry does on land. Harrass and chase off routers for a very low cost.

Especially the chasing off routers seems to be a role that needs filling. Ships seems to rout relatively fast but rally easily when out off combat for a little while. Keeping bigger ships from reentering combat with a dirt cheap vessel seems a very cost effective tactic.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

The warrior class is not worth 18000 in my opinion. Its range is poor and i believe the French L'Ocean is more effective here.

Anyway never get your ships caught facing their broadside away from the enemy ships, and remember to turn the other side when one side gets severely damaged

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    I haven't done a lot of naval battles but the lowly gun boat does seem to have it's uses even when it's facing far superior ships.
    With it's decent speed and it's forward facing gun it can fill in the role that light cavalry does on land. Harrass and chase off routers for a very low cost.

Especially the chasing off routers seems to be a role that needs filling. Ships seems to rout relatively fast but rally easily when out off combat for a little while. Keeping bigger ships from reentering combat with a dirt cheap vessel seems a very cost effective tactic.
    Yep. Sometimes you just need a ship to ferry troops or agents around or to block a choke point/crossing. Gunboats fill the bill.

Torpedo boats are fun. They ships themselves die as soon as anything looks at them, the torpedoes are really slow, so you need to either be close or box in a ship to hit them.

One thing I tried with some success:

Send of a small fast ship (gun ship for example) after a big target (so it is behind the target and out of the way of its guns), all while the target is busy shooting one of your big heavy ships (ideally =P ). Get your torp boat closer and when you feel comfortable, tell your gun ship to board the target. The target will sit still for 20-30 seconds, no matter what happens, so happy torpedoing =D

2 Torpedoes that hit at the same time turn the Warrior into a ton of rapidly sinking scrap metal btw. (I tested this in custom battle, no idea how campaign difficulty affects this).

-E- One more thing... do not fire torpedoes into a bunch of ships that includes your own ones =p I didn't make any painful mistakes myself but I had one of my ships board an enemy ship and started losing the boarding, so I turned one torp boat to launch a torp that way while I still could but my own ship was between the torp boat and the actual target.... No matter.. my ship is going to surrender anyways >:D So the 2 torps slam into my surrendering ship that is right next to the enemy ship, blow up in an epic explosion and the last thing I saw of the enemy ship was a load of blood splattering out of the smoke from the explosion of my own ship XD

The enemy ship surrendered with 4 our of originally 70 some people left. Bit expensive for a naval shrapnel bomb but hey, it works really well. =p

Torpedoes have a potential to cause a lot of pain if stuff ever gets disorganised.
    Last edited by Sp4; 03-30-2012 at 15:33.

Quote Originally Posted by jepp21 View Post
    The warrior class is not worth 18000 in my opinion. Its range is poor and i believe the French L'Ocean is more effective here.
    I believe its range is 800, which is 50 more than most ships, and only behind the Kotetsu, which has a range of 1000, and L'Ocean, which is 850. They also have 10000 armor, which is, I think, 7000 more than the next best, non-faction ship (again, the Kotetsu). I forget how many cannons it has, but I know its at least twice, if not three times more than a similar japanese vessel.

The only problem with the Warrior is that it's very slow... But, there is not a single ship, other than maybe L'Ocean, that could take its broadside and survive. I guess you could argue that the L'Ocean could do the same with a ram (and even sink a Warrior with it), but it's a totally different style of play. L'Ocean has to close the gap quickly or get chewed up by a Warriors' cannons.

Personally, I'll take the Warrior, because I love massive ships with dozens of cannons.
    Last edited by Madae; 03-30-2012 at 16:51.

I intercepted two ships (2 only) carrying a stack of troops toward my shore. I engaged them and sank them both. I remembered distinctly because they both sank like a submarine doing a crash dive. Upon returning to the strategy map one ship sailed away!

It was one of the two I had sunk, badly damaged but still transporting its dangerous cargo. Fortunately I had enough movement left to follow it and this time, blow it up.

This will need to be patched.

I've always found it funny how a single ship, no matter the size can carry a full stack army ^^

We are left to assume that there are some unarmed transports just over the horizon. We can allow such extrapolations. Games like TW are chock full of them.

Sunken enemies do not always sail away to be reengaged. I have had sunken ships get salvaged and become captured prizes, too! Astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    We are left to assume that there are some unarmed transports just over the horizon. We can allow such extrapolations. Games like TW are chock full of them.

Sunken enemies do not always sail away to be reengaged. I have had sunken ships get salvaged and become captured prizes, too! Astounding.
    I always try to do that =p Roleplay that there are some unarmed transports behind the actual navy =p

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    I've always found it funny how a single ship, no matter the size can carry a full stack army ^^
    I think that is relic from earlier titles. In STW and MTW, you made a kind of ship chain where it was assumed that these ships guarded your ship lane.

Sunken ships somehow surviving the battle has been there ever since Empire, I believe. I'm absolutely sure it happens a lot in vanilla Shogun and ROTS.

I find that its rare for corvette size ships to sink. It always seems to end in an explosion.

About ramming.

The Kotetsu and the L’Ocean are the only ships that can do it so far as I can tell. It would have made sense for the construction of Kotetsu class ironclad rams to be contingent upon the research for ramming. Either that or remove ramming as a researchable tactic and just give it to the Kotetsu , a ship that would still require the dry dock to build.

The Kotetsu (modeled after the CSS Stonewall I believe) is powerful enough to still be useful without ramming but it really makes no sense to separate this ship from the tactic.

BTW, the Kotetsu’s Gatling battery erupts into action as soon as it comes to bear within range. Very cool.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Gunboats: can be used as naval scouts. Frequently, you cannot see what is in AI's fleet stack when you click on it. If you attack too strong, the AI runs away (and you have wasted valuable move points on some ships that could be used elsewhere). If you attack to weak: well... you're too weak then. So, send a single gunboat to attack the AI's fleet first and retreat (without going into the battle). This way, full AI's fleet's composition is displayed. The gunboat will be stuck near the AI's fleet, but will be freed after you defeat the AI. This becomes quite valuable on VH campaign difficulty when the AI is able to spam fleets left and right and you have to budget your own response very tightly.

Kotetsu: due to their superior range (1000 versus 750 for frigates) gainst the AI, these can be used for 'pulling'. If the naval AI is defending, it just sits near the edge of the map with broadsides facing the attacking player. AI starts to move only if any ships comes into gun range (AI's or the attacker's). So, a tactic that seems to work for me is to approach with frigates, corvettes and set them up at a distance (outside their gun range) facing the AI with broadsides. Kotetsu then moves and pulls the AI's fleets towards the player's combined defensive broadsides. Of course, this would not work against humans.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

A simple high-tech tactic I've been using is an L-shaped formation. I line my five heavies up on the enemy's left flank, at a 5 or 10 degree deflection and use the 1000 range Kotesus for my base of fire. I only have two per fleet but them, my two corvette flankers, and my torpedo boat secure the base. It's a real pleasure seeing the Warrior lead the charge as it wraps around the flank.

I agree, gunboats are excellent scouts but I wouldn't risk them against a fleet. My ships are teched enough that all I need to see is the total number to be sure of a win.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    A simple high-tech tactic I've been using is an L-shaped formation. I line my five heavies up on the enemy's left flank, at a 5 or 10 degree deflection and use the 1000 range Kotesus for my base of fire. I only have two per fleet but them, my two corvette flankers, and my torpedo boat secure the base. It's a real pleasure seeing the Warrior lead the charge as it wraps around the flank.

I agree, gunboats are excellent scouts but I wouldn't risk them against a fleet. My ships are teched enough that all I need to see is the total number to be sure of a win.
    On harder difficulties it's frequently beneficial to send in the MINIMUM force sufficient to defeat the AI in order for the AI not to retreat (which would result in a waste of move points for the player's fleet). At times, AI is approaching with half a dozen fleets in the same spot. So, every move point (ship) I can save comes in handy in order to defeat them all (and not let them slip by to bombard my shores). That's where the gun-boat scouts come in handy.

True, to a point, but that's where strategy comes in. One fleet to make them run, one fleet to send them to the bottom.

Maybe I'll play a land game when I don't have so many fleets, but for now they run scared.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    True, to a point, but that's where strategy comes in. One fleet to make them run, one fleet to send them to the bottom.
    ... one fleet to rule them all?

... one fleet to rule them all?
    Rule Britannia!

Yes, even though I declared a Republic, I still sided with the British to get that wonderful Warrior.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 04-18-2012 at 16:08.

Down with dried flowers!

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

The other night I went to conquer the small islands around Kyushu and found that I couldn't disembark my army; the assumption is that a port has a defense radius and one can't disembark the arm within that radius as long as the port is fully functional with coastal defenses? It was the first time I actually tried a beach landing so this came as some surprise to me. Can anyone confirm this?

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Can anyone comment on ships and auto-calc? Are there any ships which perform particularly well in auto-calc, or particularly badly? I've mainly been using the ... ah, nihon maru I think it's called. The biggest ship you can build in a single turn using the starting docks, it's got 16 guns and a similar name to a 12 gun ship. I'm not at my desktop and can't look the names up in the encyclopaedia, gah! They are ok, not that good but I haven't found anything better so far.

I noticed that the American ironclad is a bit poor in auto-calc. I sent a fleet with 1 ironclad and 4 copper hulled nihon marus(?), all at full health, against a 3 ship fleet of 12 gun wooden hulled marus(?). All of my cheap ships survived, the ironclad sunk, and I captured the enemy ships. Not so impressed considering how much that thing cost! The British and French ironclads seem to fare better.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    The other night I went to conquer the small islands around Kyushu and found that I couldn't disembark my army; the assumption is that a port has a defense radius and one can't disembark the arm within that radius as long as the port is fully functional with coastal defenses? It was the first time I actually tried a beach landing so this came as some surprise to me. Can anyone confirm this?
    At Goto island, you also have to land your army within the radius of the port but I had no problem then. Perhaps this comes in play after the port has been upgraded to military port or trading port?

I've stopped using autocalculate for ship battles because I always get a much better result. Even against vastly inferior fleets at least one of mine takes moderate damage with slight damage to others, as opposed to slight damage to some.

I'm getting a little bored with the process, really. I shouldn't have tried domination in my first game.

Down with dried flowers!

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Perhaps this comes in play after the port has been upgraded to military port or trading port?
    My assumption as well, just not certain which upgrade exactly.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    My assumption as well, just not certain which upgrade exactly.
    It's military port. I know this because I always went with trading port and didn't get it. Enemy ships that end a turn in the radius of control also get attrition damage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    I noticed that the American ironclad is a bit poor in auto-calc. I sent a fleet with 1 ironclad and 4 copper hulled nihon marus(?), all at full health, against a 3 ship fleet of 12 gun wooden hulled marus(?). All of my cheap ships survived, the ironclad sunk, and I captured the enemy ships. Not so impressed considering how much that thing cost! The British and French ironclads seem to fare better.
    Eh, can't take a pounding like a Victory, not enough cannons to be all that effective against ironclads, cant ram like l'ocean, no gattling guns, last one I used got shot up by wooden hulled corvettes without armour piercing rounds before it could sink one. It has a habit of dying a slow death on its own, it cant kill an advanced or numerous enemy quick enough to save itself but takes a long time to lose. My verdict is it's a glorified bullet sponge. Late game, it's best used to distract the enemy while you use your frigates and corvettes try and cross the T.

Not what you asked but I'm not sure what auto battle has against it.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-20-2012 at 22:08.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast