Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHAT IS HAPPENING ON EA- HACKING!

Oh yeah, since i just told everyone how to edit my name, if anyone sees me typing stuff like that, it's not really me.
    The claustrophobic mime in an imaginary box is a master of the microwave.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

yup. swoosh had it right. he showed us last night after terazawa was victimized. as soon as he showed us, i went, 'oh sh*t, the old chat room/irc trick...lol'. and that's really all it is. it's not a hack, it's not a fake name thing, it's just a chat room trick that has been done for years. and yes, it's kind of a cute thing to tease your friends with, but it can also be used to antagonize others by making it look like someone is using another name.

and since we seem to be editing out how this is done here, i wont post it either, but i can tell you how to detect it if you suspect someone is using it. if you dont want this posted, then admins, just edit this out.

when you see a message in the chat room and suspect it's a phony, just click on the name. instead of having that name come up as a selected name for private messages, nothing will happen, or if you already have someone else selected for private messages, when you click on the phony name it will unselect whoever you already had selected and put you back to 'room'.

just to emphasize, it's not a hack. it's just an old chat room trick. it's also why tera's name was spelled wrong at times when the person was using the trick.

as a side note, i tend to be of the consideration that it's better to tell everyone here how to do it...forewarned is forearmed, but since the admins see it differently, well that's fine and i respect their decision.

K.

oh yeah, the other way to detect it is that the false name being 'used' wont show up in the player list, unless of course, they are using your name and since you are in the player list that wont work. so the most reliable way is to click on the suspected name.

[This message has been edited by Kraellin (edited 07-11-2001).]

Kraellin,

Thanks for your input, your post really close the chapter...

About the editing out of how to do it-

If anyone wants, find it out by himself. At least we would prevent morons to read this topic and try to make bad use of this dirty chatroom trick

But personally I sincerely think that such information should not be exposed publicly.

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

[This message has been edited by Terazawa Tokugawa (edited 07-11-2001).]

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Krasturak apologizes!

Krast used this method to tease his friend, and others copied and it got out of hand.

Krast learned this method of 'fake naming' in another game's chtroom where it is very common.

Krast is guilty of causing this most recent introduction of this horrible 'thing' into the Shogun chatroom.

Krast apologizes! It was a bad thing to do.

Anyone hurt by this has Krast to blame.

P.S. Krast PROMISES not to do it anymore.

Senior Member Senior Member TheRonin's Avatar

This sounds more like an exploited glitch rather then a hack. Has anyone contacted EA about this?

I would really hate to see innocent people get banned for this kind of immature bull shit. This should be something to fix in a patch.

------------------
    "According to that which the elders say, takeing an enemy on the battle field, is like a hawk takeing a bird, even though it may seem to diassapear into the mist of a thousand of them, it pays no attention to any bird, other then the one it has first marked..."- hagakure the book of the samurai
    "Have Katana, will travel" -TheRonin The way of the sake bottle.

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

That's happened to me before. It wasn't you Krast. It said:

'NinjaKilla: I'm gay'

I spoken to the guy who did it and he was doing it as a joke. It was kinda funny, but then it does pose problems. People shouldn't do this sort of thing because it could get out of control.

BTW, I'm not gay ... honest.

------------------
    - Our girls fall for samurai and they'll go chasing after them.
    - If the bandits come they'll cut our heads off. We'll worry about the girls later.

[This message has been edited by NinjaKilla (edited 07-11-2001).]

Yes its nothing but a cruel trick ...

it'd be cool if EA could do anything about it, but at least people will be more aware of whats going on after this thread

Hey don't edit my posts! jk

I hate u Darth!
    Back to the darkside

Darth,

i didn't say that above...it was someone else!!!!.....WAHHAHAHAHHA :evil
    Back to the darkside

Krast, you have found courage to tell us publicly, thanks.

But for me it's not important who was. We have figured out that it is just a stupid rather simple thing, but which may create arguments if used badly.

At least, now its much of a less problem cause I would know who was the evil person making those things (just look at the person above the 'ghost' sentence)

Well, even here, the chapter is closing on a good end.

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Usually i would stay out of this, but i believe that all of you guys are majorly mistaken. I have quit tenki as of when Zen and Kag left. Tenki was my home and the main reason i played this game. I decided to quit the game until the campaign comes out or in the winter when things are very boring. Plus it seems more and more people are making this game less fun with people stealing techniques i use and such. Well anyway this is what the name "Hack" is all about.

If anyone is familiar with ANSI codes there is a way to do funny stuff with certain key numbers: For Instance

ALT + 0128 makes a symbol: €
    ALT + 159 makes a symbol: ƒ

Anyway there is a formation of keys you can type that will act as a return key so you can type on 2 lines maybe there is a formation will make 3 or more but i don't know it. Anyway say if i type a message like

TenkiSenjutsu: Hi Guys (then i type in the code it will bring me down to second line so i can type something else like this:

TenkiSenjutsu: Hi guys
    ShogunMaster: I rule this game

so it's not really a hacker just someone who knows there keyboard really well. If you go searching i'm sure you can find the combination to fight back.......

Anyway Hope this clearify's things up

Senj aka Wizid Nagai

if you see anyone typing things 'from you' simply leave the room, then everyone will be confused and will not blame you from anything

As I was saying, that isn't the only way to do it. A new account could be created and it could have the one person's name closely copied, but with one symbol changed, like a 1 changed to a capitol I. I had to edit my previous one cause I didn't wan't people screwing with my name.
    The claustrophobic mime in an imaginary box is a master of the microwave.

Well that all sounds like someone we know who is doing it.
    Itch Itch
    Scratch Scratch
    The strength of my arms, the power of my soul, the valour of my men... These all belong to the Fear Clan. I'm ready to fight in the name of the clan.
    Shogun 2 on Facebook

Disturbed Member TenkiWarPRIEST's Avatar

Well I learned how to do this "hack" too. And yes it can be stopped. How do I know hehe?
    Cause I did it Elbeno one day.
    Then next day Elbeno came in and He had no last name. Elb where's your last name?
    He said" I got rid of that and fixed the use of my name"
    So I typed
    [Elbeno] quit that guys.

but it came out
    *Elbeno* quit that guys.

Hope he can fix this for all of us. :0)

TenkiWarPriest
    TenkiWarPriest Tsuchiya Great Clans of Tenki
    :M Gah WarPriest Gah - Krasturak

I leap from depths of debt into the skies.
    Autumn of The Dragon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12