Thread: Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

This will be an AAR using the Ulster faction in Crusader Kings 2.

I will play with my House Rules from the original game:
    1. All event decisions based on character traits as much as possible, rather than gamey decisions for stat or money boosts.
    2. Assassination used as little as possible, and never for gamey reasons such as a poor heir, unless it could be justified from character traits.
    3. As little war-mongering as possible, in the original this was based on only going to war when I had an honourable reputation and building it back up afterwards. Not sure if there is a similar reputation mechanic this time around.
    4. Marriage is limited to the island of Ireland as a Count, Great Britain and Ireland as a Duke, as King of Ireland I am free to marry my characters to any suitable Catholic. This is more of a problem than the original with the Prestige hit for marrying a courtier, but I'm going to go ahead and keep it anyway.
    5. I play on the lowest speed setting, even when nothing is happening in the early years.

I tend to play quite slowly, so it will be updated as each year passes in the game. I've only just got the game, though I played a lot of CK with Deus Vult and the DVIP mod so hopefully I'll pick it up quickly enough,
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-04-2012 at 20:08.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Crusader Kings 2 AAR- Being a History of the Lords of Ulster

Prologue

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1067.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As Steward of Earl Cu Uladh Sithrigi of Ulster, it is my duty to record for posterity the details of the reign of the Earl and his descendants.

The Earl has reigned for one year, following the death of his father last year, and is married to Fine. The Earl has no children as yet

The Earls's current heir is a distant cousin, Dun Sleibe MacEochaid, who is married to Bebinn.

The day to day running of the Earldom is handled by the Council, which includes myself and Dun Sleibe.

The first few months of Earl Cu Uladh have been uneventful, stories cross the sea of turmoil in England, though life goes on in Castle Downpatrick, Carrickfergus and Connor as usual. I shall record the events of the year to come. Glory to House Sithrigi.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-04-2012 at 12:09.

Steward Donnchad de Dunseverick, the year of the Lord 1068.

As Steward of the House of Sithrigi, Earls of Ulster, it is my duty to record the reign of Earl Cu Uladh.

The first full year of Earl Cu Uladh was peaceful in Ulster. As his Council worked to bring prosperity to his land, Earl Cu Uladh busied himself with learning, studying ancient manuscripts and books to increase his wisdom.

The Earl also showed his generosity to his subjects, throwing a summer fair for the peasants.

The peasants had never seen such a fair before, with animal trainers for their amusement.

It wasn't all good news, unfortunately, as a peddler was found selling stolen goods, and punished appropriately.

Then the bailiff who caught the thief was punished on trumped up charges by the fair's piepowder court. They were also punished appropriately, on the orders of the Earl.

Following the fair for the ungrateful peasants, the Earl took the local nobles on a great hunt. He was delighted by Bishop Mael Patraic's success in the hunt.

To celebrate, a great winter feat was held in Downpatrick Castle. Rumours of an argument between the Earl and his Bishop were greatly exaggerated and the feast ended with the Earl held up as a fine host by his guests.

Earl Cu Uladh and his wife were disappointed that they were still childless, Cu Uladh made no secret of his desire for a son, though Fine was thought to favour a daughter. Hopefully the year ahead would bring some good news for the Earl of Ulster.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Nice beginning... competitor!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Nice beginning... competitor!
    Not a competitior, fellow AARtist.

Our two stories are different enough to complement each other, yours based on an Empire with a broad scope, mine on a one county faction with a more in depth scope. The first few years in an Ulster campaign are quite dull, with few events to liven up the story, certainly no earthquakes, hopefully mine will liven up after a few chapters when there is an actual family to tell the story of.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Not a competitior, fellow AARtist.

Our two stories are different enough to complement each other, yours based on an Empire with a broad scope, mine on a one county faction with a more in depth scope. The first few years in an Ulster campaign are quite dull, with few events to liven up the story, certainly no earthquakes, hopefully mine will liven up after a few chapters when there is an actual family to tell the story of.
    We're cool.

Will be pretty nice to see how you'll expand through ireland. Little tip: economy first.
    Last edited by rickinator9; 04-04-2012 at 23:10.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes