Thread: Peter Molyneux: "This is my last chance."

Default Peter Molyneux: "This is my last chance."

We need more discussion about gaming news in here. http://www.develop-online.net/featur...my-last-chance

Has Molyneux lost what made him so good way back before he joined up with big publishers? People associate him with talking big and delivering mediocre, but was he just shackled by the constraints of a boss that wants to market to as many people as possible?

What do you guys think Molyneux will deliver in the future?

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Peter Molyneux: "This is my last chance."

You live with the reputation you've earned, and unfortunately for molyneux that's one of promising big and delivering games that fail to live up to his hype. To be honest I've always got the impression that he really believes the games he makes are the best ever... until launch day. After seeing the reactions of people to his work, and perhaps seeing things from another perspective, he almost always changes his tune and admits his work wasn't the best. He then promises next time will be better without fail, which i distinctly remember him doing when Fable 2 came out.

It's kinda sad too. I read the guy's twitter from time to time and he's always throwing out zany ideas for games, some of them sound ridiculous but some actually sound really fun or thought provoking.

I don't expect much from him in the future, and if he does make another game it'll probably be the same old story. Just like I expect an Obsidian game to be buggy, i expect a Molyneux game to be nowhere near as good as he claims.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Look at the trend. Bullfrog pre-EA was where the magic was, and my guess was he/they had a greater measure of freedom to produce their games. Switch over to Lionhead, and look at the track record.

I've been burned too many times to hold out too much hope, but I am nevertheless hoping that things like Kickstarter can really get that small mid-sized game market that exists between the big titles and indie games up and running. Wasteland 2 comes to mind. Not every game needs to be aimed at the massive "casual gamer" market, niche developers can do well under the right circumstances. Maybe Peter can strike out on his own again and test the waters in this growing area of gaming.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    It's kinda sad too. I read the guy's twitter from time to time and he's always throwing out zany ideas for games, some of them sound ridiculous but some actually sound really fun or thought provoking.
    Are you sure that's not the parody Molyneux twitter account?

(highly recommend it if you actually read the real Molyneux's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/#!/petermolydeux)

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Are you sure that's not the parody Molyneux twitter account?

(highly recommend it if you actually read the real Molyneux's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/#!/petermolydeux)
    Haha, no but I read that one too. Funny thing about that account is the real Molyneux will often times retweet and comment on some of the fake's ideas.