Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI Seleukids and Ptollies

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Default AI Seleukids and Ptollies

We all dislike the gray death and the yellow fever, right? We all know that sooner or later one of the two will break out (usually the ladder). In a recent Carthaginian campaign with fow lifted, I sent a diplomat to Syria to take care of the events there. My aim was to maintain the balance of power as long as possible.
    The AS managed to take Tarsus but quickly seemed to be confused, moving single units and half stacks to and fro, without actually doing anything - while neglecting the garrisoning of its frontline cities Antioch and Damascus. As a result, I had to FD both of them repeatedly from the Ptollies back to AS.
    It occured to me then that the reason for the dizzyness of the Seleukid AI was that last Ptolemaic foothold in Asia Minor, Side.
    I think the AI doesn't know how to deal with this thorn in its side (no pun intended). So I FD this one to the AS as well, and lo and behold: for a decade or so, the Seleukids in Syria became suddenly focused. They took Sidon and now its trench war in Judaea.
    My conclusion: these two ptolemaic settlements in Asia Minor, Tarsus and Side, confuse the seleukid AI to the point where it doesn't get anything done in the western theater, and consequently loosing to the Ptollies most of the time.
    I have only this one game to base my conclusion on, but I'd like to know if anyone has had similar observations - that Tarsus and Side cause priority problems to the Seleukid AI?

Default Re: AI Seleukids and Ptollies

interesting :)

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    that last Ptolemaic foothold in Asia Minor, Side.
    I think the AI doesn't know how to deal with this thorn in its side (no pun intended).
    Well it made me giggle.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Actually, you could be right. I remember just one game, where the Seleukids didnt slowly collapse as they usually do. Instead, they recaptured taken settlments in East Asia, and started expnding. I was very confused about that, especially because very early in the game, as Pontus, I had taken all their settlements in Asia Minor (and actually the whole Asia Minor). Somehow I thought that getting rid of these 2 provinces helped them focus. So maybe the case is that actually the Ptolemaean cities in Asian Minor block their AI..

That would be 1 point in support. Thx.

I tired and make an alliance with the Ptolies as soon as possible in my last Romani game since I read somewhere that the AI is worst when allied with the player. In that game the Seleukids and the Ptolies stayed at war until around 200 BC but the border never moved from Judea and the Ptolies stayed mostly contained to Egypt. However Baktria and Pahlava suffered as a result.

OP we hate the Yellow Fever (Ptolomies) and the Grey Death(Seleukids)....what about the Lusotannans do they have a special name?

Hmm, maybe Browning Terror?

Following the format of the other two, i guess it would be the Brown Diarrhea.
    Also, registered just to be able to say this...
    My banner rallies all the troops around the bard,
    And he's like we're gonna fight them hard,
    Damn right we're gonna fight them hard
    We'll defeat them as soon as we charge

Quote Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
    Following the format of the other two, i guess it would be the Brown Diarrhea.
    Also, registered just to be able to say this...
    Very good, I like that. I don't have a solution for when they/it become/s endemic. Although in EB it's not as bad as in other mods.

I like H campaign or VH campaign cause thats when the AI surprises you.
    In M Romani Dominates the West and Ptolemies Dominates the East in most games ive played
    In H, Its the Sweboz, Romani, Lusitanians, (sometimes Epirus do as well if they keep taras and wipe out the Romans) who dominate the west and the Seleucids or Ptolemies in the East
    In VH stuff becomes crazy. You never know what faction becomes a superpower. Ive seen a Sarmatian empire stretching from the border of the Gaul in the west, all of Armenia in the south and east until the Saka lands. Ive also seen Dacia take all of the balkans and eastern Europe up to the baltic lands. In VH carthage also wipes out Rome in many of my games. The odd thing is, Ive only ever seen Seleucids dominate the east in VH mode. In one game as Casse, I watched Bactria grow to hold all of India and the Parthian Lands only to be steamrolled by 10 plus Seleucid fullstacks

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    Very good, I like that. I don't have a solution for when they/it become/s endemic. Although in EB it's not as bad as in other mods.
    Roll on EB2 with limited recruitment - no more phalanx spamming! Let Grey and Yellow Factions of Death spam pantodapoi and foot archers all they want, I can cope with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    Roll on EB2 with limited recruitment - no more phalanx spamming! Let Grey and Yellow Factions of Death spam pantodapoi and foot archers all they want, I can cope with that.
    I hope I live to see it released...

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I think the seleucid downfall is closely associated with the fall of antiocheia. I always see the ptolemies building huge garrisons there, while antiocheia is not really defended well. When Antiocheia falls, the seleucids start losing a lot of towns, as they can't get pezhetairoi anymore.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Idk i quite like facing elite phalanx armies! In my last campaign as the Romani I fought multiple elite Seleukid armies in the deserts with an army of all Numidian Skirmishers, Maure inf, Gaurtamine inf, Maure Bows, and Numidian Cav with a Libyan general, sorry for the spelling. I was using them to ward off raiding Carthaginians parties(they had been banished inland) when i faced the first of seven armies! I really just wanted to weaken them so that my newest city would not be conquered and I weakened them with my skirmishers,held the line with my gaurtamines, shot at his skirmishers with my bows and led his cavalry away with my horsemen! When his horses had been led to the corners of the map I swung my general and maure inf behind his phalanxes and overwhelmed them!

I'm thinking that the OP might be right. In my current Romani game, AS and the Ptollies had a nice stalemate going on, until AS kicked the egyptians out of asia minor. Since then, they've taken the rest of the Levant, and the top of Egypt, almost to the boarder with Carthage (there's still that one greek town in eastern libya that the Ptollies own).

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    I'm thinking that the OP might be right. In my current Romani game, AS and the Ptollies had a nice stalemate going on, until AS kicked the egyptians out of asia minor. Since then, they've taken the rest of the Levant, and the top of Egypt, almost to the boarder with Carthage (there's still that one greek town in eastern libya that the Ptollies own).
    i believe ur playing on very hard mode?

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

I almost never see the Ptollies do anything much. The AS is an unstoppable monster in all my games. I suspect it has to do with the bonus to movement that I have given to all armies. Cureently not running any other self-mods and yet they still end up like this...

Thats early in the peace, they eventually went on to take the Carthiginians out totally along with baktria the Hai and have almost finished with the Sauromatae. I forget who I am on this game but I tend to play the romans mostly so it is either them or the Lusotan.

Als, this is a regular occurrence for me. i have played dozens of EB games, at least every faction 2 or 3 times and many of them quite a bit more. 19 out of 20 games the AS dominates.....I miss yellow maps sometimes.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Hey Blxz are you playing on VH mode? I wanna see if my theory is right that in all VH games Seleucids dominate the east(always happens for me)
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 05-11-2012 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    The AS is an unstoppable monster in all my games. I suspect it has to do with the bonus to movement that I have given to all armies.
    That would help the Seleucids a lot, with moving armies around their massive empire.

Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    i believe ur playing on very hard mode?
    I wish I played VH. That game is M/M.

Interesting thing about the difficulty levels. I didn't know that the results differ so much. It might have something to do with the AI recruiting mercenaries above M difficulty, something it doesn't do on Medium.
    My observation is from M/M games (suits my play style best).

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    I wish I played VH. That game is M/M.
    wow really??? i never see AS even survive in M games. For me Medium is always yellow fever

The AS can get pretty evil when you play KH as this means you're inititally allied with the Ptollies and nobody competent (aka you) is there to strip the AS of their land(Pontos, Hay, Pahlava and baktria). My KH campaigns always result in Epic(or rather tedious) struggles against "THE EMPIRE"(AS), "The wild natives of Magna graecia"(the romans) and "The Wild natives of Iberia"(the lusitanians).
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    The AS can get pretty evil when you play KH as this means you're inititally allied with the Ptollies and nobody competent (aka you) is there to strip the AS of their land(Pontos, Hay, Pahlava and baktria). My KH campaigns always result in Epic(or rather tedious) struggles against "THE EMPIRE"(AS), "The wild natives of Magna graecia"(the romans) and "The Wild natives of Iberia"(the lusitanians).
    I request an AAR jk but it wud b cool

I am not sure my difficulty level with that game. i have quite a few saves and they all vary. I found that picture lying around in my storage somewhere. If I am remembering the game correctly, I was roman. I used to play all VH/M but more recent games have been M/M; for that one I have no idea. So I can't confirm or deny your theory about the AS on VH difficulty.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

is that version 1.2? any chance you could send me that savegame?

I request an AAR jk but it wud b cool
    you would laugh I actually thought about it and even wrote some lines of introduction, however the save got corrupted and I lost intrest :/
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

apparently theres a negative money cheat you can use to drain the enemies treasury,so does anyone know it?

Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    is that version 1.2? any chance you could send me that savegame?
    Nope. The save is long gone. Each save is named after the faction. My 'Rome' save has been overwritten many times since then. It should be fairly easy to recreate though. It happens in almost every single game to the point of being boring. Just double movement points. It makes all the little minor factions much more active and a more fun game overall. Pontus actively tries to expand and the Hai tend not to go north until much later in the game, normally after the AS take their southern cities. Also gaul ends up being more interesting.

The downside, as you may have guessed, is that within a few decades the AS recovers it's strength. They are able to bring their heavy Phalanx armies to the east and start to wipe out the eastern factions. Once that is done they bring their whole army back west and take out the Ptolomies. From there the whole map just collapses. Fun times to be had by any powerful western faction looking for a challenge.

In an effort to balance this I have just recently started using a -50% happiness bonus to both the Ptolomies and the AS in their core buildings. It does work much more effectively but they still expand by about 200BC. My next game will replace that with a law negative instead to sap some of their money. I suggest you try somehting similar or they WILL steamroll.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast