Thread: CTD after battle

Default CTD after battle

While playing the Roman Campaign I've encountered the same problem thrice:

The year is 264BCE and I'm besieging Messana with a fairly large force. After just one turn, I assault the city, fight the battle, grasp a clear victory and when I press the "continue button" (I give the processor about 1min to process the data first) the game CTD.

I play the game at VeryHard-Medium difficulty setting, with huge units, high anti-aliasing and most graphic settings set to high and medium. It's not the first siege or the first battle I've given, but it's the first I've come across CrashingTD.

The installation of both RTW and EB along with the bug fixes 1.2 were successful (no problems whatsoever) and the game in spite of the strain due to the graphic settings I've chosen ran completely smoothly so far, both in the strategy map and the battle map.

My System
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (User Account Control (UAC) Disabled)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    L1 Data Cache Size 2 x 64 KBytes
    L1 Instructions Cache Size 2 x 64 KBytes
    L2 Unified Cache Size 2 x 1024 KBytes
    Memory Type DDR2
    Size 8192 MBytes
    Channels # Dual
    DRAM Frequency 376.7 MHz
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (Socket M2)
    Monitor DELL U2412M
    Resolution 1920x1200 pixels
    Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
    Hard Drive WDC WD5000AAKX-083CA0 ATA Device

The Problem:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: RomeTW.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 00564544
    Fault Module Name: RomeTW.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00564544
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00584fa1
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1032
    Additional Information 1: 05df
    Additional Information 2: 05df6ed422dc4e1fb77fc8b8da810699
    Additional Information 3: d44c
    Additional Information 4: d44c06c10c403a49161509e9e9947c3e

Can anyone help as to what the problem is and what do I have to do to fix it? It's really frustrating having to fight the same battle over and over again, plus it's even more frustrating playing the game with the fear that it'll CTD any time I fight a battle.

Thanx for any help provided!

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: CTD after battle

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the detailed report.

First step: Attack the city again, but this time let the battle auto-resolve (use auto_win attacker if you should loose the autocalc)
    Second: If the above fails, remove any FMs you have in your army and try the way above.
    Third: Wait one year ( minimum until next winter turn) and attack the city then

Please post back here if none of the steps could help you.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Member thankful for this post:

First of all thank you for the "welcoming"!

I'm glad to find out that there are many serious RTW gamers-fans around the globe and apparently this forum has a lot of them. As a fan of RTW and recently of EB too (which needs none of my compliments to rate it as the best RTW mod so far!! It speaks for itself!!) I feel glad being a member of this forum.

Secondly, thanks for your guidance. Fact is I never used the cheat commands till now while playing RTW. There's a first time for everything apparently! The auto_win worked as it should and offered me my anticipated victory with just about the same percentage of casualties for both sides when comparing it to the manually fought battle. Truth is I tried waiting one year but the army of Carthage attacked me first and my whole strategic plan went a little behind. So that's why I resorted to using the auto_win command.

Any idea why this CTD might have happened? Repeatedly? I mean I've been playing vanilla RTW from 2005 and I had quite a few CTD, but none (as far as I can recall) that "persistent" and repeating. And with 8GB's of RAM it makes me wonder...

Thanx again!

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

RAM doesn't account in RTW, it can't use more than 2GB anyway.

Perhaps an FM was somewhat 'corrupted', traitwise. Your game should be fine now since the reason was eliminated from the campaign.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions