Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And after this?

Default Re: And after this?

I think they could feasibly do a global total war from like the 1500's to the late 1800's. Or a total war from 1800 to 1920. It would allow for unit differences and technology advances.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I'd personally would 'dig' an Assyria total war or something. I'd play it.
    Agreed, a near-east bronze age setting would be pretty neat.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Looks like it will be Warhammer (original, not 40k).

Well that was unexpected, I really didn't think they'd veer off the historical path. They'll certainly struggle to do worse than Mark of Chaos, I wonder how much inspiration they'll take from the Call of Warhammer mod.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Looks like it will be Warhammer (original, not 40k).
    hell yes!
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

That had better not replace the historical TWs!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    That had better not replace the historical TWs!
    I think that's extremely unlikely. Gamasutra says that CA has set up a separate team to work on the Warhammer project. Since CA has been expanding into other games recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted the Firaxis model. That model is that there's one team working on the company's core franchise (Civ for Firaxis, Historical Total War games for CA) and others working on experimental stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    I think that's extremely unlikely. Gamasutra says that CA has set up a separate team to work on the Warhammer project. Since CA has been expanding into other games recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted the Firaxis model. That model is that there's one team working on the company's core franchise (Civ for Firaxis, Historical Total War games for CA) and others working on experimental stuff.
    Good to know. Thanks!

Why not the 1800s? War of 1812, the near constant battles between England an France, Europeans messing with China and Japan, American Civil War would be really fun, plus Africa being colonized, you'd have a full world map to fight on with hundreds of factions that would be possible!

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Shmoof View Post
    Why not the 1800s? War of 1812, the near constant battles between England an France, Europeans messing with China and Japan, American Civil War would be really fun, plus Africa being colonized, you'd have a full world map to fight on with hundreds of factions that would be possible!
    Don't think it would happen because we just had Napoleon, which is an enormous part of 19th century warfare, and we had FotS. I'm done with muskets for a while. Give me ancient China!
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

I'm not into Asian history but I'm up for ancient China.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dellathane View Post
    Well CA have done the inevitable and made Rome II (no bad thing mind you). What I want to know is where they go from here. Presumably it's too soon for Empire II, and Medieval III seems like a long shot as well. Is it possible? Could it be? That we will get a new time period to playerrm... rule in.
    Thoughts?
    (Probably completely inappropriate to speculate on such things so soon after the announcement but this was my first thought when I heard)
    In the grimdark of the far future, there is only... total war.

Total Warhammer 40,000.

Member thankful for this post:

I personally would like something with a very wide field of play from the early period of history. The factions would range from the Minoan and Greek, through Asia Minor with the Hittites, include the early Egyptian Empire with Ramses II, on into Mesopotamia (Medes, Persians, Assyrians, etc.) and then along the Grand Caravan trade route to the early Chinese Empire/States. Northern India and the civilisations of Southeast Asia would be a part also.

Setting up three or four theaters of play and giving the possibility of a very long time to play everything.

They have pretty much used up the major era blocks (I mean wide eras such as classical and medieval not specific wars) except for the Bronze Age empires of Assyria, Egypt and Hittites. But then people have been suggesting that for a while and ca has still not made it yet. Instead they have moved back, making shogun II and Rome II.

I suppose they could make one for the age of Greek city states and the grecopersian wars?
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 02-04-2013 at 12:31.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

imo they now have the technology to make a World Total War spanning first part of 20th century.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    They have pretty much used up the major era blocks (I mean wide eras such as classical and medieval not specific wars) except for the Bronze Age empires of Assyria, Egypt and Hittites. But then people have been suggesting that for a while and ca has still not made it yet. Instead they have moved back, making shogun II and Rome II.

I suppose they could make one for the age of Greek city states and the grecopersian wars?
    What about the Dark Ages? 500-1000AD with the potential rise of Islam. Or post-medieval and pre-empire? Era of the Reformation and Renaissance.

Blog Entries

I would really like to see a game linking Medieval TW to Empire TW, it would be really interesting to play around with the transition to gunpowder.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Next game will be Medieval 3, IMO. or a game about 16-17th century.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I would really like to see a game linking Medieval TW to Empire TW, it would be really interesting to play around with the transition to gunpowder.
    That is called Medieval 2 and it already exists! (since it has early gunpowder units in M2)
    I mostly played it with the Lands to Conquer mod by Just Lusted, but I think those were still pretty default.
    Last edited by Beskar; 02-10-2013 at 19:42.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Dark Age (though some now say it wasn't so dark) would be interesting. Clovis and the Franks, the German invasions of Britain, the Picts and the Gaels, the Muslim conquests - the scope is huge.

Or, Total War: The Iron Throne?

WW1 TW perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by LoboCaelus View Post
    Dark Age (though some now say it wasn't so dark) would be interesting. Clovis and the Franks, the German invasions of Britain, the Picts and the Gaels, the Muslim conquests - the scope is huge.
    Barbarian Invasion covers the beginning of that. The gap right now is 476 to Hastings.

I think the problem is the rapid change of social organization would be difficult to portray in Total War terms. It'd be quite a departure from the traditional Total War method of pseudo-nation states for the sake of simplicity. The rise of feudalism would have to be a key component to do the era any justice.

Quote Originally Posted by LoboCaelus View Post
    Or, Total War: The Iron Throne?
    aka Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms, Britannia:P
    Last edited by adembroski; 02-14-2013 at 22:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    That is called Medieval 2 and it already exists! (since it has early gunpowder units in M2)
    I mostly played it with the Lands to Conquer mod by Just Lusted, but I think those were still pretty default.
    there was early gunpowder in mtw1 too :P

i want to see a 2150TW, the first ahistorical TW ever ^^ or is it?
    Last edited by The Stranger; 02-15-2013 at 13:37.

We do not sow.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I would like to see a Pike and Musket era Total War Game. It could have the Reformation and its wars, early conquest/colonization in the New World, ideological wars eg the English Civil War etc.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

My vote goes for Dark Ages: Total War, from 476 until 1066. Just imagine it:

The turmoil after the fall of the WRE
    Religious tensions between Catholicism (Rome, Franks, Italian kingdoms, Lombards, Romano-British, Irish), Paganism (Saxons, Alemanii, Belgeae), Paganism (Danes and other northmen), Paganism of the Huns (Avars) and Orthodox Crhistianity (ERE) and the Muslim Moors, Fatamids (Harun-Al-Rashid) and probably others - the birth of Muhammad! Imagine the chaos!
    The sturggle for dominance and the formation of Kingdoms and even Empires (Charlemagne)
    The Danes and friends reaving the shores of Europe
    The coming of the Magyars
    The Ostrogothic and Visgothic kingdoms

and more.

The sheer potential with the emerging factions and great leaders like Muhammad, Charlemagne, Theodric etc. is staggering, not to mention the choice between staying Pagan or adopting Christianity, going for your tribal roots or attempting to rediscover the lost knowledge of the "ancients" (Romans, Greeks).
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Member thankful for this post:

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

These are all great ideas. I especially like the dark ages scenario. But what i really.like to see nex is the Total Warhammer. Now the scope and atmosphere of such a game would be epic. Ofcourse we still dont know if it will be a part of the total war franchise or something completely new but f it is anything like the call of of warhammer mod, it would be great. I love history but i think this fantasy setting would bring a new breath to the franchise. After that it would be eveb more appealing to return to history.

We haven't had a game about the colonization of the new world. Medieval ends during the historical sack of Constantinople, which is a few decades before the start of the voyages to the new world. Empire starts with the new world settled already by Europeans.

The Renaissance, the Catholic/Protestant divide and the Ottomans starting at the top and then starting their decline would also add to the history. I believe the Ottomans were already in decline by the time frame of Empire.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    We haven't had a game about the colonization of the new world. Medieval ends during the historical sack of Constantinople, which is a few decades before the start of the voyages to the new world. Empire starts with the new world settled already by Europeans.

The Renaissance, the Catholic/Protestant divide and the Ottomans starting at the top and then starting their decline would also add to the history. I believe the Ottomans were already in decline by the time frame of Empire.
    M2TW: Kingdoms - the Americas expansion is what you are looking for. Also regular M2TW has this, albeit to a smaller scale.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    M2TW: Kingdoms - the Americas expansion is what you are looking for. Also regular M2TW has this, albeit to a smaller scale.
    To be fair the colonial aspect in the base game of M2 is a very shallow experience. It was meant to be the final adventure to cap off a few hundred years of play in europe, not to be the main focus. Kingdoms - Americas, on the other hand, was a fun scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post

i think its too short a time frame with too few nations involved. it would basically only be the spanish with later on a bit of the french and the brits. and some specs of stranded dutch traders.

im saying ww1 still :D

We do not sow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast