Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 - SCREENS

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rome 2 - SCREENS

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia View Post
    Screens look pretty impressive. As long as it isn't complete garbage like the first Rome was, I'll be happy
    Whatcha talkin bout willis?

Rome:TW was the best one in the entire series. Only real contender to that crown is Shogun 2.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Rome:TW was the best one in the entire series.
    I think you'll find that quite a few of us (especially here at the Org) disagree with that assertion...strenuously.

In fact, I found Rome to be far and away the worst game in the entire series. Even Empire wasn't as bad, and that's saying a lot.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    I think you'll find that quite a few of us (especially here at the Org) disagree with that assertion...strenuously.

In fact, I found Rome to be far and away the worst game in the entire series. Even Empire wasn't as bad, and that's saying a lot.
    Rome was my favorite, and Empire was my second favorite. (once the major bugs were fixed)
    Rome had major modding capabilities, and the mods for it were better than for any Total War ever. I never buy a CA game (or most any game for that matter) for its vanilla gameplay. I always mod it myself and download other people's mods. The last time I played RTW unmoded was a few weeks after I bought it. I mostly play my own gameplay mods which I am in a constant cycle of tweaking and changing, and sometimes play other high quality mods like Roma Surrectum (my fav TW mod ever made...though the balancing sucks :P That is not a problem though, as I just rebalance it myself, just like with vanilla).
    To me, vanilla rarely matters when judging a game. Its modding potential is the main thing I judge it on.
    RTW was a setting that I loved, with the highest modding potential of any TW war game in TW history. Also, the graphics potential were good enough for me. (look what Roma Surrectum did with it. I wouldn't care if the new TW games looked just like that)

Empire had guns, had the US, and had US Marines. Enough said. I always edit it to change unit balance to make it more realistic, so I can play it happily for hours.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

You could win literally every single battle by fielding any cavalry in a straight line, and rushing forward; with the exception of phalanxes. Then you needed cavalry with a few experience points and took some losses, but... you... still... won...

Don't get me wrong. With house rules and Rome: Total Realism, you could enjoy that game. But Rome was broken.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    You could win literally every single battle by fielding any cavalry in a straight line, and rushing forward; with the exception of phalanxes. Then you needed cavalry with a few experience points and took some losses, but... you... still... won...

Don't get me wrong. With house rules and Rome: Total Realism, you could enjoy that game. But Rome was broken.
    Only vanilla Rome. Seriously though, how many people played MTW and RTW in their Vanilla forms? My guess is that not many did.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Only vanilla Rome. Seriously though, how many people played MTW and RTW in their Vanilla forms? My guess is that not many did.
    To be fair, you can't really judge a game except in its vanilla form.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    To be fair, you can't really judge a game except in its vanilla form.
    Not really, as its moddability is part of what makes it a game. As a modder, that is mostly what I judge a game on.
    If I judged just on vanilla, Empire would probably be my favorite. Yet, I have spent many more hundreds of hours and gotten much more enjoyment playing RTW than ETW. I think that it is completely fair to judge a game by its modding potential, because otherwise, I am not judging what makes me enjoy it.

Not really, as its moddability is part of what makes it a game. As a modder, that is mostly what I judge a game on.
    I'm not really disagreeing with you. I think you probably see my point. Anyway, back to ogling pretty pictures!

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I judge a game in its vanilla form, and I judge a mod by it's modded form.

Being a great modder, you know which games are easy to mod and which you can't mod into something decent. That's good for you as a modder, but it doesn't change the fact that there was no strategy involved in RTW battles. Forcing mass routs was incredibly simple. Cavalry beats everything, even spears? Yep.

And I played M2TW in its vanilla form for years, and now that my computer is back, I still do. It's an awesome game. The official expansions were also nice.

I bought medieval 2 because I enjoyed Rome, but Rome vanilla doesn't hold a candle to M2 vanilla.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

MTW vanilla was epic man!

im playing vanilla ETW now and its so slow and blurry (which is weird since i run NTW just fine...) i like the scope but its pretty unplayable :S

RTW had an amazing feel to it, but EB made RTW the best. M2TW was good but imo too narrow and too repititive. NTW suffered from the same thing but was even more narrow. I didnt get STW2 cuz of that. but R2TW, it better be good or it will probably be the last TW game ill get.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 08-21-2012 at 12:09.

We do not sow.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post

More than anything else, it was the nonexistent AI and almost-complete lack of immersion that killed Rome for me (although I agree with your above post as well). I can enjoy a game with poor AI or poor atmosphere, but not both.

I played -- and loved -- the original MTW for a good 2-3 years before I tried out any of the mods, and I know that was the case for many others as well.

Mods did indeed make Medieval a(n even) better game. However, the difference is it was *already* enjoyable in its vanilla version. Rome was not.
    Last edited by Martok; 08-22-2012 at 14:58.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Rome was not.
    I have to agree here as so much was lacking:
    - the strat and tac AI was a mess
    - the Phalanx was especially useless
    - Diplomacy? Don't get me started
    - too many questionable units
    - too many unit inaccuracies
    - appauling voice acting = "CCCCRRRREEESSSSHIAANNN AAAARRRSSSHHHRRSSS"

...but I really had a great time with modded versions; SPQR, EB
    "Après moi le déluge"

rome was the first of its kind and i think one could say revolutional with 3d map, ancillary and recruitment system, naval transportation etc etc. yes it was buggy at release and it took a long time for it to get fixed but it was very diverse imo, much more than any game that followed after. except maybe s2tw which i didnt play so i cant say. but i have a tough time to keep nilla and modded rtw versions apart in my memory so maybe im too biased. that lotr mod was also awesome!

We do not sow.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Whatcha talkin bout willis?

Rome:TW was the best one in the entire series. Only real contender to that crown is Shogun 2.
    The best one of the series? You have to be joking right?

Whoa there. If you mean the Org regulars with hundreds or thousands of posts, maybe. But there's no way most of the player base played modded games. Mods are generally played by a small but passionate minority. I'd be surprised if the number of people who bought the game and installed a mod reached 20%. I'd say it's even less than 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    Whoa there. If you mean the Org regulars with hundreds or thousands of posts, maybe. But there's no way most of the player base played modded games. Mods are generally played by a small but passionate minority. I'd be surprised if the number of people who bought the game and installed a mod reached 20%. I'd say it's even less than 10%.
    I don't know, maybe I just know the hardcore fans, but almost everyone I talk to who plays RTW plays only mods. If they are just casual players, they probably do not even know the difference between realistic and unrealistic anyway, and so they probably would not even appreciate the difference between EB or RSII and vanilla RTW.

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

First public video.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    First public video.
    Thers is the news: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/content.php
    and thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...T-GAMEPLAY!-10

:)

no latin dialogue and command taunts? gah!

We do not sow.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

almost everyone I talk to who plays RTW plays only mods.
    Most of the RTW players whom I know who did not play mods were put off by installers.

Truly, I cannot say enough about the public power of a one-click installer; you would be shocked how many people won't manually unzip some files.

Naturally, the won't-unzip-files players are also the same people who generally play the latest TW game and naught else. But I am convinced (based on no evidence whatsoever) that if they were given a simplified install ...
    Last edited by Lemur; 10-01-2012 at 14:43.

If those are real screenshots I like the attention to detail they have put in, like the elephant lifting a soldier with his surl. However I dont understand why they put photoshop filters on the screens.
    Cowards die many times before their actual deaths.
    - Julius Caesar

Barcid General Member [cF]HanBaal's Avatar

8)))))))

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340284_367373360004537_154187957_o.jpg 
Views:	6430 
Size:	503.7 KB 
ID:	7349

Name:	266499_367373390004534_489202818_o.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	7350

Name:	201080_367373410004532_510038781_o.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	7351

Name:	240010_367373433337863_1857271973_o.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	7352
    Last edited by [cF]HanBaal; 10-04-2012 at 23:59. Reason: more pics
    "I swear so soon as age will permit I will use fire and steel to arrest the destiny of rome" - Hannibal Barca at the age of 9, ca238BC

"Against those who have incurred the wrath of God" - Genseric, King of the Vandals, ca455CE, replying to his helmsman whither he should steer. His fleets now yearly sailed from his new capital Karthadast. The whole of Africa, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica and the Balearic Islands quickly fell in his hands. Then he sacked Rome. For 14 days and nights Genseric pillaged the city and returned to Karthadast, carrying much booty and many thousand captives, the empress and her two daughters. The city and the people were spared. Yet, they are the 'vandals'.

Quote Originally Posted by [cF]HanBaal View Post
    8)))))))

Name:	266499_367373390004534_489202818_o.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	7350

Name:	201080_367373410004532_510038781_o.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	7351

Name:	240010_367373433337863_1857271973_o.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	7352
    Goodness, I had no idea the harbour at Carthage was like that. *wikis*

I'm sick to death of Carthage and Rome. I want to bloody see some units from Germanic and Celtic factions, or from Parthia.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [cF]HanBaal View Post
    8)))))))

Seeing this picture, I remember a documentary that I saw some time ago, which described the harbour of Cartage exaclty as it is shown here.

This harbour must have been unique for the time in that it was closed and allowed a large fleet to be protected both from attacks of other ships as well as from the eyes of scouts, thereby keeping the true size of the Cartagian fleet secret. Must have been one of the reasons for Cartagian naval superiority in the Med at the time.

I also like the look of the other pictures. They have the dark, leather and wook kind of feel to them, that I have been missing in the first RTW title.

I'll never be sick of seeing Carthage

Yes, Carthage port looked much like this.

Name:	carthage+harbour+2.jpg 
Views:	993 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	7365
    They seem to be rather overdoing the verticality & underplaying the horizontality but thats more or less understandable/acceptable.

Interestingly the archaeology indicates this format of harbor was only actually built between the 2nd & 3rd Punic wars when Carthage was banned from owning a military fleet as terms of the treaty that ended the 2nd Punic war.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

It looks great

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Those elephants are inaccurate.... but everything else appears to be right. I hope our little mod isn't eclipsed :(

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    Those elephants are inaccurate.... but everything else appears to be right. I hope our little mod isn't eclipsed :(
    I hope it is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast