Thread: Siege question

Default Siege question

In my game I had a city under siege, when I clicked the end turn, the AI attacked my army with a different army. The pre-battle screen showed the two AI armies with the one in the city having the skull on it. I won the battle routing both AI armies off the field and when I clicked the occupy button, the game crashed. I reloaded several times and got the same result. I then reloaded and auto calc the battle and won the battle, the game didn't crash but left my army still in a siege condition. On further inspection I noticed the army in the city was the one that attacked me from outside. I reloaded again and when I fought the battle this time I made sure to completely destroy the outside army that attacked me (it only consisted of two units) and won the battle. The Game then allowed me to occupy without crashing. My question is, is this a flaw in Rome or EB? I've only recently started playing this mod and it's been many years since playing Rome. The only glich I remember running into back when was the huge siege tower one. (where the guys would run around the bottom of the tower and slowly die) I'm playing Rome 1.5, EB 1.2 with the three perm fixes. Thanks in advance

Panther2

Default Re: Siege question

If an enemy army has no place to retreat to ( faction/allied territory ), the game might CTD. It mostly occures while manually fighting a battle, but this might happen during the autoresolve too, i guess.
    As you have noticed yourself, it´s the most save way to annihilate the enemy completly to avoid crashes. To be honest, i don´t remember how vanilla used to work - it´s too long i´ve played it.

Btw: I´ve got no link at hand, but i remember that i recently was browsing twc forums, and have seen a "warning" concerning the quotes, which seemed to cause frequent CTDs - i wonder if one could get rid of those, even at a price of loosing the citations, and those cool images in the background from EB?
    - 10 mov. points :P

Default Re: Siege question

Thanks for the reply,

The more I think about it, the more I think its a problem in Rome's code. The game shouldn't of offered me a chance to occupy the city if the AI had retreated there. It should of allowed me to do a seige battle though, instead of crashing. I've been playing for several hours a day for a week now and haven't had any trouble. (knocking on wood) This mod is really great, it's better than the original.

What do you mean with quotes? Is this something in the script? Thanks

Panther2

edit update:

Hi, comrades!

Many players complain about the CTDs after a battle or when loading saves. Comrad Julius from Imperial forum http://imtw.ru/ offered a temporary but very effective solution.
    His established that the cause of CTDs - a glitch with the quotas. He removed all the quotes and left only one. CTDs is stopped. I myself played a couple of days and had not a single CTD after many battles. Neither RS2 nor in Europe Barbarorum. I suggest this as a temporary solution - until we find the cause of the bug.

http://rghost.ru/11424321

My game crashed several times under almost the same conditions. This was beginning to make me wonder if this mod was worth it. I then tried the above info and it works great. The game even seems to run much better.( no lagging )

panther2
    Last edited by panther2; 08-06-2012 at 15:14. Reason: update