Thread: AP weapons

Default AP weapons

Hello guys :D,

so i just started EB and im trying to get good with KH. So far everything went fine but then i firstly experienced the strength of AP infantery such as Iberian Scutarries or Assault Infantery.

As KH also relys on infantery im a bit desperated in my tests no infantery can really stay toe to toe against infantery that has a falcta. Ofc it's obvious why as greek infantery has high armor (and ap halfs it) and spears which get penalties against infantery.

So my questions are:

1.) How to fight falcata infnatery as KH?

2.) How do other factions handle them infanterywise - don't tell me hammer or anivel lol

3.) Why have falcatas AP and kopis not? It seems like that these infantery units have pretty similar stats and costs to other infantery units with swords but are far superior.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BelisarAUT; 07-13-2012 at 18:06.
    Austrian & Byzantine & Greek player

Other names: BelisariosAUT, AustrianGen

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Default Re: AP weapons

Quote Originally Posted by BelisarAUT View Post
    1.) How to fight falcata infnatery as KH?

They are very difficult to handle with KH but there are two ways: Take units with high lethality (against unarmoured ap-units) or with ap yourself. You need to take Merc for that though. Massilian Hoplitai for the first one, for the second one you only have Caetrati I think. The other possibility is to take levy units or even better units with high defense skill but only few armour. Admittedly KH has not so much of these units but again merdenaries can help: Gaulic swordsmen mercenaries are a quite decent possibility here.

2.) How do other factions handle them infanterywise - don't tell me hammer or anivel lol
    They can do the same things I already advised but they might have more options. Baktria for example can take indian spearmen with Xp as line unit and baktrian axemen as flankers. I utterly destroyed Lazy's iberian assaults that way. You do need some cavalry in addition though but with these cheap units that's no problem. Gauls can just refrain from taking the heavy armoured ones like neitos and take Bataroi and Axemen. And really, although you do not like to hear it: The best against iberian assaults is cavalry in the back. That works against most elite or professional assault infantry: Neitos, Loricati Scutari, Iberian Assaults, etc. Only units who have spears have some

3.) Why have falcatas AP and kopis not? It seems like that these infantery units have pretty similar stats and costs to other infantery units with swords but are far superior.
    Because Gamegeek wanted Kopis to be better against unarmoured units. I did not like this change, though.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Because Gamegeek wanted Kopis to be better against unarmoured units. I did not like this change, though.
    That's wrong, it's because I saw no reason to keep their armor-piercing capabilities. Also, it's led to far better balance in fights between heavy cavalry; we don't have Lonchophoroi unrealistically slaughtering Brihentin thanks to AP weaponry; a kopis IRL would do little better, if not worse, against mail than a straight sword.
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 07-14-2012 at 09:37.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

It seems like Caetrati mercs are the only unit of KH that is kinda cost efficient against Scutari and the like. Seems like this light infantery can even defeat heavy armored scuatari in the longer fight which is a bit surprising.
    Austrian & Byzantine & Greek player

Other names: BelisariosAUT, AustrianGen