Thread: Schools and markets

Default Schools and markets

U know after, playing for so long i never really thought about it. Sorry if my question might be a bit silly, but how much does it helps a town to have upgraded schools? Do governors get certain traits faster? Do they actually get better traits? Does it works at all?

Also i know upgrading markets gives an income bonus but for example, as a greek faction that can have several more upgrades than a barbarian nation, is it really worth to upgrade it all the way since it is so time consuming and expensive? I have noticed there are some buildings that really give a good bonus on the income, such as paved roads, off course mines, better ports, but every time i upgrade a market i can't see a big change, that is why im asking this. Thanks for your time and looking forward to read ur feedback thanks!

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both." Erwin Rommel
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."Erwin Rommel
    "So long as one isn't carrying ones head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." Erwin Rommel

Default Re: Schools and markets

schools are great for your smart caracthers but as some drawbacks such as making some of your family members nerds and less able general

as for markets it helps your caracthers understand better the economic reality so it gives a litle bonus at the start but it grows as times goes by and for some factions it really does help alot like emporiarches

The heart of evil, to some known as Moscow

The bonuses of markets add up since. Better markets will allow further development of other infrastructure such as aquaeducts. The increase in population due to this will increase trade income and tax income further... Markets also give some good retinue such as the silk merchant (+10 or 20 percent trade). After all, a market is a long term investment into the further development of the settlement. Roads, mines and ports have higher priority, however.

Schools will give your characters valuable ancillaries, increasing especially your character's effectivity as governor. Having a character with an mining engineer +20 or 25 % mine income) can really boost your income if he is placed in a province with 4500 or 3000 mnai mine income. Schools are also necessary for most historical ancillaries, but those give mostly rather small bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    schools are great for your smart caracthers but as some drawbacks such as making some of your family members nerds and less able general
    Actually "nerd" traits scholastic and such don't matter so much with generals as those only give hit point and influence minuses whereas atheist and like traits received usually from level 2-3 academies give morale penalties to troops which is far worse than less hit points to your general (moonburn probably knows this but I just thought to bring it up).

Like moonburn said bonuses from markets don't make so much difference in early game and you have construct quite extensive trade routes (land locked provinces are so much worse on this) before you can reap the profits, but if you control shall we say Italy and Illyria your provinces can give almost as good income from trading than what you get from mines.
    With barbarians and nomads controlling many coastal provinces becomes even more important due to their primitive infrastructure.
    "Madness has no boundaries, boundaries are madness"