Thread: KH's Reformed Hoplitais

Default KH's Reformed Hoplitais

Again i summon a thread about KH - i hope you don't get tired yet. :D

Now i have the feeling that the Reformed Hoplites such as the Iphikratian and Thorakitai Hoplitai are quite useless at the moment. Now don't get me wrong - they can hold their line for quite a while but their secondary weapons - the swords - seem to serve no purpose as they do better against infantery with the spear. This kinda means there is no reason why to take the Thorakitai Hoplitai above the regular Thorakitai or to take the Iphikratian Hoplitai above the regular Hoplitais at the same money cost such as the Classical Hoplitai.

I really believe these units should be effective so that there is a reason why to pick KH over other hellenstic kingdoms besides the Spartans. I think historically they were also quite effective although they were not used much because the Greeks Cities "allied" with Rome although im not sure about this one.
    Austrian & Byzantine & Greek player

Other names: BelisariosAUT, AustrianGen

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Default Re: KH's Reformed Hoplitais

They should be better in melee considering they cost more than and lack the javelins of Thorakitai. Something needs to be done about the kopis because it is currently inferior to both the longsword and the falcata and really handicaps many of the units that use it.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Default Re: KH's Reformed Hoplitais

Yes, I agree that the kopis need to be fixed (as I believe I have said enough times now :p). There really is no reason to bring Thorakitai Hoplitai.

The Iphikratous Hoplitai on the other hand fare a bit better in comparison to regular Hoplitai on the basis that they have more men, though; according to the victory odds the shortsword should do veeery slightly better than the spear (we're talking single digit percentage here). That seems reasonable as the difference is not that great anyway stats-wise (14 attack, 0.165 leth. and 17 def or 11 attack, 0.15 leth. and 21 def). The spear is better if flanking, though.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 08-15-2012 at 22:09.