Thread: Phalanx Mod for EB for BI

In the Saka steppe, leading his Yeuzhi Nobles into your ancestral homeland....and eating

Default Phalanx Mod for EB for BI

A while back I had such trouble with every unit of phalanx's having no form of vulnerability yet being wildly unrealistic. Then I found this fantastic mod :
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...(Reduplicated)
    But I had EB for BI, and the EDU's were very different. The Phalanx mod's EDU lacks things like shield wall, war cry, swimming etc. So one day I sat down and decided to merge both EDU's entirely. Line by line I made sure every last thing was there. It was a monstrously repetitive process that gave me loads respect for people who do this fun! After several hours and some mistakes I finally got it. Now I am glad to present these to the EB community.

Included is the following:
    Jirisys' Phalanx mod ported to EB for BI Campaign EDU;
    Jirisys' Phalanx mod ported to EB for BI Custom Battle/Multiplayer EDU.

UPDATE!!!!!
    I am considering removing the changes for non-hellenic spearmen and hoplites: (Idea still in playtesting)
    This only should effect eastern hoplites and and non-hellenic spearmen.
    Here is some info on the phalanx mod:
    To avoid confusion, here is a brief overview of terms I use:
    Macedonian phalanx - Any unit with the “phalanx” special ability uses what I term the Macedonian phalanx.
    Classical or Hoplite phalanx - Any unit that fights in the hoplite-style phalanx. These units are easily recognizable by name or description. The hoplite phalanx is a tightly packed formation with overlapping shields and spears protruding from above, an impenetrable wall of bronze, iron and oak, an implacable force made seemingly not of individuals but a single inexorable contraption, an…OK you get the idea, I’ll stop.

NOTE: Despite that last comment, I am not a phalanx fan boy. Phalanx units—particularly Macedonian phalanxes—are not necessarily improved with this mod. And I like the Celtic factions best if that means anything…

NOTE # 2: Guard mode is no longer necessary! You do not need it. You fight better without it and can still keep a cohesive formation. Also, you no longer need to stand still and receive a charge. Hoplites now deliver a crushing charge and will maintain formation while (and after) doing so. Thanks to Barrabas for pointing this out.

Here is a brief overview of the changes made in the Phalanx Mod :

-to Macedonian phalanxes: -.03 spear lethality, -1 sword attack, -2 armor, + 2 defense skill; given spear attribute (light_spear attribute removed).
    What this means: Although Macedonian phalanxes maintain their attack ratings, decreased lethality causes their hits to knock opponents down more frequently (rather than kill). The decrease in armor is made up for in head on contests (when unit is in phalanx) by the increase in skill, which effects melee defense from the front and left (shield) sides; armor effects missile and melee defense from all sides. Thus, Macedonian phalanxes are now more vulnerable to missiles fired from any direction, but particularly at their exposed rear and flanks. They are also more vulnerable to flanking attacks. The spear attribute makes them push more and harder (something phalanxes were very good at). The downside to this attribute is that it can make units push so hard that their formation loses cohesion.

-to Classical (Hoplite) phalanxes: -.02 spear lethality, -2 armor, + 2 shield defense, +3 charge bonus; given short_pike attribute; given spear attribute (light_spear attribute removed).
    What this means: See Macedonian phalanxes. The changes are similar except that hoplites receive an increase in shield defense rather than defense skill. This is because hoplite phalanxes in EB do not use phalanx, and thus are not nearly as resistant to missiles from the front and left side as are the Macedonian variety, whose shield defense is doubled when in phalanx.
    Hoplites too get a reduction in lethality so as to better reflect hoplite warfare. Casualties were generally few until one formation or another broke from the extreme force of the pressing phalanx--that was when the real killing began. The spear attribute makes them push more and harder (something hoplites were very good at). The downside to this attribute is that it can make units push so hard that they break formation. In combination with a cohesive formation trait such as the short_pike attribute, however, they maintain formation and the ability to push hard.
    The biggest change here is indeed the short_pike attribute. This does a number of things. First, it shrinks their spears from approximately twelve feet in length to nine. Twelve feet is simply inaccurately long for classical hoplites or Spartiates.
    Here is the DL link : http://www.gamefront.com/files/22218..._EB_for_BI.zip
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/22359...PhalanxMOD.zip

If its ever broken tell me and I will upload another.

Instructions :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Extract....Merge with your EB folder (Don't worry, nothing else is changed, and your default EDU has not been moved yet)
    Go to EB/Data.... Find you your EDU (export_descr_unit.txt I think)
    Rename you normal EDU
    Each separate EDU is labeled either "Campaign" or "Multiplayer" in its name so just remove that portion of name. And your done!
    If you want to play custom battles or multiplayer just rename the files again, this time just remove the multiplayer portion of the name.
    At any time you can go back to your default EDU with a simple renaming.

Please provide feedback if any.
    Last edited by mikepettyrtw; 10-01-2012 at 03:52. Reason: update
    I am a Nomad steppe Kha-khan and have been since my first Parthia campaign in vanilla some years ago.
    from Brennus being the first entrant into the Nomad Screenshot contest.

Check out my Playtest of giving hoplite units the phalanx attribute!
    Saka Late Cataphract "Bodyguard Cavalry" Fix (Thanks to Brave Brave Sir Robin)