Thread: Native English Speakers Please

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Native English Speakers Please

Hello,

How odd or irregular is the sentence "they quickly forget" to you ? Or is it even ?

Thank you.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Native English Speakers Please

It's an incomplete sentence, but otherwise it is perfectly fine.

I'm certain that forget may be used intransitively.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What's wrong with the action of "forgetting" becoming "quickly" ? As far as I know "quickly" does not necessarily have to denote only a favorable speed, right ?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Basically, it means there is no point telling some one something, because "they quickly forget". It is a negative, meaning they don't listen to what they are told. In one ear, out of the other. They don't pay attention to what you say to them. etc. Typically not doing what they are meant to be doing or didn't do what they were meant to.

For example:
    LEN: "It should be okay, I told Tiaexz to lock up the Org after closing hours since he was staying late"
    Andres: "You know how he always quickly forgets.."
    *The Org is still left open, Tiaexz didn't lock up*
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-13-2012 at 23:57.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    What's wrong with the action of "forgetting" becoming "quickly" ? As far as I know "quickly" does not necessarily have to denote only a favorable speed, right ?
    There's nothing wrong with forgetting quickly; a person can also forget slowly. Quickly just means with speed. It has no favorable or unfavorable meaning on its own. The word can only imply something good or bad if speed itself is a good or bad thing in a particular situation.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    There's nothing wrong with forgetting quickly; a person can also forget slowly. Quickly just means with speed. It has no favorable or unfavorable meaning on its own. The word can only imply something good or bad if speed itself is a good or bad thing in a particular situation.
    The only time I have heard it is in the context of my example. It is used as a phrase to imply some one is unreliable. Suggesting they 'quickly forget' like Tiaexz didn't lock up the Org before he went home, when LEN on relying upon him.

The way LEN is wondering why it was negative in this post makes it seem it was used in that context as well.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    It is used as a phrase to imply some one is unreliable. Suggesting they 'quickly forget' like Tiaexz didn't lock up the Org before he went home, when LEN on relying upon him.
    Yes, but it's the phrase as a whole that implies the unreliability, not just the word 'quickly.'

The phrase "They quickly forget" is right depending on the grammatical tense. If you were trying to use it in past-tense I think the phrase "The quickly forgot" is correct. While if you were trying to use it in present/future tense the correct phrase would be "They'll (will) quickly forget". If you mean to say someone is unreliable I think the phrase would be, "They are forgetful".
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

So I was right in insisting and saying "what's wrong with that ?". A KPDS (national-level accredited foreign language exam held by the state) contender friend of mine felt ultimately sure that the sentence was a literal translation from Turkish.

Thank you all.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

They quikly forgot, or They forget quikly. Your friend is right.

You are not native in English. Go away.

Member thankful for this post:

The sentence is perfectly fine.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    The only time I have heard it is in the context of my example. It is used as a phrase to imply some one is unreliable. Suggesting they 'quickly forget' like Tiaexz didn't lock up the Org before he went home, when LEN on relying upon him.

The way LEN is wondering why it was negative in this post makes it seem it was used in that context as well.
    I'm pretty sure I've heard it before. It was in effect how people in general forget past mistakes or heroic sacrifices - they (the people) quickly forget (and move on, for example). I'd say it's perfectly fine, although it may sound incomplete if taken out of a context.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Why don't you simply tell you patients their dosage instead of writing it out for them?

They quickly forget.

My kingdom for a .