Thread: Concerning the 'prec' attribute...

Question Concerning the 'prec' attribute...

I don't suppose there is a way to mitigate the awful delay inherent in precursor units using their javelins/pila etc? I've dredged the Org and the TWC, but found nothing but bad news. I've come to the conclusion that to get rid of it would require removing the ability and the weapon altogether, which sounds troublesome and ahistorical. Is there nothing else that can be done?

It is so frustrating to fight a prec-heavy AI army, which is very common in the West. I can put up with Hypaspistai-style unit issues, but this is far more serious. Any answers would be great.

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Default Re: Concerning the 'prec' attribute...

Funny that you ask, I recently got back into EB and was literally about to test this. I remember briefly testing removing the prec-ability and limiting ammunition with some mixed results in RTW. Let me try it out with EB and push the issue harder, because it cripples the AI.

Anyway, what Hypaspistai-style issue? The one where the AI switches weapons with them often?

This can be edited, I have removed their swords and made them a Phalanx only. I can show you how.
    Last edited by fallen851; 01-27-2013 at 18:15.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Well, I got the same mixed results that I got in RTW. But I think there is hope!

This is how units looks when marching around, with Pilums drawn, which I find far more accurate:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missle8.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	8463

Unfortunately in the instance of 1 unit versus 1 unit, the AI (as the attacker) just got into range and charged my Infantry. They never used the ability, but at least they didn't sit there trying to reload in the battle, they fought with sword the whole time.

Name:	missile 1.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	8462

When defending a city, the units stood again with Pilums drawn:

Name:	missle5.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	8464

And threw both in quick succession when the enemy was in range:

Name:	missle6.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	8465

When I got past their walls, they engaged properly, throwing their Pilums then charging:

Name:	missle7.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	8466

When in a large field battle as the defender, they threw their Pilums normally and quickly at the approaching Phalanx...

Name:	missle101.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	8467

But then they fell back. Some units didn't throw both Pilums before falling back...

Name:	missile102.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	8468

And then continued falling back as I advanced, not able to throw their Pilums. Even when I charged them not in Phalanx Mode and the unit was out of ammunition, they retreated.

Name:	missile103.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	8469

Basically, they are acting like Skirmish units because they are starting the battle with Skrimish mode engaged. They are especially passive when they are the defender or when they perceive the strength of the enemy units to be greater than their own. I believe we may be able to fix in this the descr_formations_ai text, but I am not an expert at the formations text. I'll have a look over it and see what I can do.

Perhaps if an expert in the formations text took a quick look, they could fix it faster...

EDIT: Found my thread from 7 years ago (man I am old) regarding this issue and my attempts to fix it. Apparently, I was smart enough back then to realize that formations were the only solution too... https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ns_ai-txt-file
    Last edited by fallen851; 01-27-2013 at 19:08.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Hi fallen,

I went down pretty much the same path as you. It seems we're stuck with it, basically. Another hard-coded bugbear.

Maybe some formations work could mitigate it, but that's outside my expertise as well. There's not much else that can be done about it, unfortunately.

Thanks for replying, and good luck!