Thread: The Secret World: A MMO for Lovecraftians and Eternal Darkness fans

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default The Secret World: A MMO for Lovecraftians and Eternal Darkness fans

Today was released an in game trailer for The Secret World. What is the secret world you'll ask?

Well, TSW is an action-MMORPG made by Funcom (Age of Conan). Nothing extraordinary so far. The interesting part is that TSW setting looks to be somewhat exciting and original.

The game takes place nowadays, in our world (Q/A implies that we'll travel all over the world, though there's an emphasis on New-England, London and Seoul so far). The player's avatar will be a member of one of the three secret organizations available: the Templars, the Illuminati, or the Dragons (sounds like respectively Good, Evil and Neutral) and will fight all kind of evils (which includes Vampires, Zombies, Dark Wizards, Evil Cults, Extraterrestrial Entities and what not).

Obviously, the game surfes on the widespread conspirationist ambience, as well as onto the general appeal of everything surnatural. But I have to say that it has a very Eternal Darkness-ish look to it, if not openly lovecraftian (Kingsmouth seems to be mostly based on Innsmouth, and several easter Eggs refering to the Mythos have been discovered already).
    Too bad it takes place in a early-21st century setting and not in the 1920's, but heh.

Here are a few videos, if you're interested:

First trailer.

Second trailer.

The Secret World - Kingsmouth - Note that some sounds (such as the zombie's moaning) seem to be direct rip offs of Eternal Darkness. Also worthy of notice is the "Lovecraft Lane" :)

Newest In-Game trailer - March 25

I'm not excited by MMO's anymore, as most of them promise to offer the moon and then fail to deliver and get trashed by WoW, but for once, I'd like this one to be successful.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: The Secret World: A MMO for Lovecraftians and Eternal Darkness fans

Could be cool.... but will probably disappoint. I'll keep an eye on it nonetheless.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Its Funcom, Funcom, Funcom!! Remember Funcom? First Anarchy Online which is probably among the most disastrous MMO launches and then Age of Conan which was a big disappointment all in all at launch.

Hence why I'll wait at least six months before trying the game.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader View Post
    Its Funcom, Funcom, Funcom!! Remember Funcom? First Anarchy Online which is probably among the most disastrous MMO launches and then Age of Conan which was a big disappointment all in all at launch.

Hence why I'll wait at least six months before trying the game.
    While you're right that both launches were fiasco, you have to take into account that both games were somewhat successful. Anarchy Online was, IIRC, the first popular Sci-Fi MMO, and Age of Conan is one of the few MMO's that brings in some cash. And even though it wasn't the WoW-killer people predicted it to be, Funcom at least tried to do something else than yet another WoW clone.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

I got this one along with Guild Wars 2 yesterday. The setting is appealing and from what I've seen why the game has been criticized so far, it mostly revolves around bugs -something which can be mended- we know of lots of games evolving into something wonderful post-launch, so that did not deter me away from purchasing The Secret World.