Thread: "Roman Cataphracts"

Default "Roman Cataphracts"

I wish to make a mod that adds to the game a rather late ability for the Romans to acquire the services of Cataphract units like Hellenic Cataphracts and maybe other units to high lvl Vassal recruitment barracks.. Possibily other requirements could be made but that might be too much work (like making it somehow consider with the Arch Sel's reform so the Romans can get access only if the Sels had them)

Recruitment area would be relatively small only at Antioch or in Mesopotamia vassal states.

I also think perhaps a more Armenian Units to the Roman Vassal states roster in the East. Armenia was possibly one of the more if not most important vassal in the Eastern Provinces. Yet in game there's no Armenian units available for the Roman vassal states to recruit which i find a strange choice...

Yet i do not have a great deal of experience other than minor modifications so any tips from the EB community would be appreciated to help me get started.

Default Re: "Roman Cataphracts"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Darkstar View Post
    I wish to make a mod that adds to the game a rather late ability for the Romans to acquire the services of Cataphract units like Hellenic Cataphracts and maybe other units to high lvl Vassal recruitment barracks.. Possibily other requirements could be made but that might be too much work (like making it somehow consider with the Arch Sel's reform so the Romans can get access only if the Sels had them)

Recruitment area would be relatively small only at Antioch or in Mesopotamia vassal states.

I also think perhaps a more Armenian Units to the Roman Vassal states roster in the East. Armenia was possibly one of the more if not most important vassal in the Eastern Provinces. Yet in game there's no Armenian units available for the Roman vassal states to recruit which i find a strange choice...

Yet i do not have a great deal of experience other than minor modifications so any tips from the EB community would be appreciated to help me get started.
    I don't think there is a simple way to do it. If you try to simply add an armenian/parthian/etc unit that is not part of Romani's roster, you will run into problems. It will be mroe that a simple adjustment to the edu. You will have to modify a few files just to get the unit and this would be the simple approach. Making it a reform would be even more complicated.

Best you can hope for is that those guys finish ebnom. Essentially it's eb starting 80 BC. You start deep in the marian era. There will be a late reform where rome gets cats and heavy infantry with lorica segmentata. Unfortunatly not many are working on it and the ones that are have irl to tend to often. Hopefuly they succeed.

I have searched for 'cheats' on this. The closest romani comes to an armored horse archer is the Sarmation noble horse archers or roxolani riders...available far north of armenia, at least according to the recruitment viewer which is outdated. I have never been that far north east with rome to see if this is correct. But there is nothing like cats in the romani roster. I think the heaviest cav you can get with rome is either extraordinarii, thesalians, or thracian prodomai. Rome has some challenges when pushing past Babylon. But then again, so did the real romans.