Thread: How to merge RS2's best aspects with EB? Diplomats, Strat/Battle maps, spies, etc

Default How to merge RS2's best aspects with EB? Diplomats, Strat/Battle maps, spies, etc

Although the two mods can often be compared in a competitive way, I find them to be two mods with the same general intent, just with slightly different approaches that aren't mutually exclusive. After playing EB for literally hundreds (427 as logged by Steam, to be exact) of hours, I decided to recently install RS2 and see what the hullaballoo was about. Clearly this is a very, very well made mod on par with or even excelling EB in some ways and sorely lacking in others (quality and depth of writing, voice mod, depth of history, role playing elements).

This isn't a thread to have a petty bicker, but to have a true conversation about what RS2, as a newer mod, has done better than EB and what we can import from the former into the latter for personal use, since there can be no 'official' mods regarding this without permission. We have already seen RS' Legions as well as battlemap environments imported into EB to the benefit of everyone involved, so this concept isn't new. But what about unit skins? the campaign map?

What I especially like in RS2 and would LOVE to see in EB, and would love to help actual do, are:

-New skins for diplomats, spies and assassins. EB are just colored versions of the same vanilla guys, while RS2 has new and very appealing campaign map units that add a lot and bring it just one step further from vanilla blandness. Is it possible to do this? What files do I need to take from RS2 to EB?

-City specific hoplites and just overall far more units generally - The historicity of, let's say, city specific levy hoplites, shouldn't really be too much of a stretch as it doesn't invalidate the factualness of anything, as they are just different skins for the same 'hoplitai' recruitable in any hellenic city. Who's to say that the citizen hoplites of Corinth, Rhodes or Athens wouldn't have defining elements that seperated them from the dozens of other distinct city states? The skins of Athenian, Corinthian and Theban hoplites are absolutely beautiful in RS2 and should replace the mid level hoplites from those respective cities, rather than the generic eyeball hoplon carrying hoplite when playing as Koinon Hellenon.

-No banners, borders and MTW2 trees on campaign map! There's a specific modder who has done both to RS2 and it looks beautiful. No more giant banners on top of cities or units, and the campaign map tree types are more differentiated between eachother to get a better knowledge of the terrain you find yourself in. What do I have to change to get rid of the strat map banners in EB?

-Overall simply more aesthetically appealing (but not more elaborate, fancy or ahistorical) units. EB has a few notable, appealing units that adhere to all historicity (Baktrian Agema, Persian Archers in all their colors, Judean Spearmen, Indian units of all stripes, Persian Hoplites, Levy Hoplites), but many, such as the levy spearmen and almost every unit of the Sabeans that isn't ethiopian or spear/bow combo, are simply ugly. period. One can have destitute, scared and underequipped levies that look somewhat aesthetically appealing that follow historical evidence. I think RS2 made even very simply clad units seem distinct from eachother while still showing that these units were untrained, poorly equipped and lacking in everything but numbers. Even just the hat of the Rhodian Slingers in EB really helps them pop out of the scene while also showing that this had a practical purpose in blocking the sun whilst throwing large stones.

-Monuments on stratmap! I hate to say it, but I hate the very generic circle of stones in EB and the fact that you have to stand specifically on the tile even just to see the monument in battle. It's indeed great and informative to read about them, but one never sees even the massive and worldwide ones, such as the pyramids. It takes away so much character from the map, where in RS2 they pop out and greet you. I feel joy and pride seeing the pyramids or the physically on the map, or the temple of Zeus not far from Olympia. I've fought 100 times in Rhodes, yet still have never seen the colossus in battle. Even vanilla had monuments on the stratmap, is there a way to bring at least the main ones back?

I'd say that's it. I think that everyone can agree with me at least to an extent on some things. I would LOVE if someone pointed me to the right place to get at least a few of these things, such as the diplomat skins, into EB, for a far better experience overall.
    Last edited by fomalhaut; 02-24-2013 at 19:51.

Default Re: How to merge RS2's best aspects with EB? Diplomats, Strat/Battle maps, spies, etc

I completely agree I love the gameplay of EB so much better but there are lots of visuals from RS2 that are so much better that I wish I could put into EB! The RS2 for EB includes the strat map though so you can use that!
    Last edited by auboy105; 03-02-2013 at 02:15.