Thread: Why Wouldn't I Buy a PS Vita/Nintendo 3DS

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Why Wouldn't I Buy a PS Vita/Nintendo 3DS

You can find a great deal of reviews rotating around PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS.

However, since something new is always exciting, I'd find the impressions as the hot winds wane more rational.

So, after times from each one's releases at a somewhat similar period, what do you guys think ? Is there a next big thing to look out for or is it just handheld market is never going to be what it was -other than that both gadgets have their unique fun ?

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Why Wouldn't I Buy a PS Vita/Nintendo 3DS

I rather like the 3DS. The 3-D effect works pretty well, the graphics look good, and it has a decent library of games.

The biggest drawback is the short battery life- but if I charge it between play sessions, it never really becomes a problem.

Still, I wonder when it will get the DS->DS lite treatment? It could definitely use a refresh....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The vita is an incredible handheld but for sole gaming purposes I'd wait because there aren't any really good ones at the moment. If you don't own a tablet it's worth it though as it can easily double as one, it's a really generous proposition if you aproach it as a multimedia-device. It's also really well-build with the best d-pad since the Sega Saturn, perfect for platformers and fighting-games. Not that fond of the 3ds myself, it feels a bit cheap and Nintendo isn't really supporting it all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I rather like the 3DS. The 3-D effect works pretty well, the graphics look good, and it has a decent library of games.

The biggest drawback is the short battery life- but if I charge it between play sessions, it never really becomes a problem.

Still, I wonder when it will get the DS->DS lite treatment? It could definitely use a refresh....
    The two gadgets are technologically distant from each other, aren't they ? And doesn't Vita have a wider gamut of games ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    And doesn't Vita have a wider gamut of games ?
    Actually my impression is that the Vita didnt really launch well when it came to diversity of games for it and that the 3DS has a much larger library.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Actually my impression is that the Vita didnt really launch well when it came to diversity of games for it and that the 3DS has a much larger library.
    It's kinda crap. A good handheld would be the old psp, it emulates older games better than a high-end pc running Crysis 3 on highest detail. Vita doesn't have that feature yet

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    It's kinda crap.
    What is, Frag ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    What is, Frag ?
    Both at the moment, I wouldn't recommend either as things are now. Maybe next year when there are more good games. Incredibly cool hardware on both, but a total lack of anything making good use of it.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Not that fond of the 3ds myself, it feels a bit cheap and Nintendo isn't really supporting it all that much.
    Are you aware that they recently released Fire Emblem: Awakening on the 3DS? The game has a 92 metacritic rating and is being lauded as Game of the Year material.

There's some fantastic games for the 3DS.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Haven't seen it here yet, don't think it was released in Europe but I heard it's good. But the 3ds really needs more games. Nntendo knows perfectly well what we want but doesn't deliver, so far the really good remake of Ocarina of Time and Mario Cart (the only game where the 3d enhancement doesn't hurt your skull imho) are the only games that make it really worth it. I am sure it will eventually become just as awesome as the DS, but as for now I find it hard to recommend buying it

Nintendo has Xiahou, Frag is pro-Vita. Tough call. |:

Not pro anything, I would just wait untill there are more games. The DS had a slow start as well. Vita has gotten price-cut in Japan by the way, another reasonto wait

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But doesn't the DS have a far larger back catalogue of games? As far as I remember, all the old games still work for it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

DS has an absolute wealth of awesome, so the 3DS as well, but there aren't that many great 3DS-specific games at the moment. The 3DS can do really nice graphics it's kinda hard going back to last gen