Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Re: Chemical attack in Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    I say bring the boys home, and let the goods to do what mistakes they want without the Foreign Legion that could be better employed in restoring electricity
    Isn't the Foreign Legion's traditional role to get killed in foreign adventures without risking the lives of French voters? Get them involved in bloody enough foreign wars, and you'll be evening up the German-French population ratio.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Isn't the Foreign Legion's traditional role to get killed in foreign adventures without risking the lives of French voters? Get them involved in bloody enough foreign wars, and you'll be evening up the German-French population ratio.”
    It was. In fact, the Foreign Legion was created by the King to get read of immigrants… And it was not really popular as was completely useless (yes, even at these times)…

You are still living on old clichés pre and after WW2, about Germans (Pre: Anti-Nazi, after: former Nazi). And from when the French Government was shying away to spent the French Voters Blood (see WW1 and WW2 casualties list)? That is part of what left from the “bashing the French” campaign. The French do wars with foreigners… Yeah, right…

The French Foreign Legion (as there is a Spanish one, due to the gift from the French King to the Spanish King of half of the Legion), not being part of the “regular” French Army can be deployed without declaration of war and vote from the French Parliament… Reason why it still exist, probably… And now, the Legion is part of the French Culture, I suppose.
    The Legion is the negative picture of the European Political Landscape: Italians, Germans around the WW2, Yugoslav in the 70, Brits, Americans and Irish in the 80, Yugoslav again in the 90…
    I think it is the most filmed and romanticised unit in the World.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

I think it is the most filmed and romanticised unit in the World.
    US Marines beat them on that score.

You have to admit that the sheer senselessness of the Legion's ethics and deeds is awesome, in the old sense of the word.

As for the contemporary legion, my impression was that it's mostly composed of Latin-Americans and Eastern Europeans...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

US Marines beat them on that score.” How and when?
    When someone had his heart broken, does he join the US Marine? Nope. When you want to forget do you join the US Marines or the Legion? When Death wants to forget, did he join the Ktlachian Foreign Legion or the Klatchian Marine Corps? Did Indiana Jones join the US Marines (in the series)? Perhaps there are films and movies about the US Marines, but the Corps is not as romanticised as the Legion. You won’t find the equivalent of “Mon Légionnaire” song for the US Marines…
    You might have more movies about US Marines but the Corps will still have to beat the Legion’s aura. Even foreign countries made movies about the Legion, only US does it for the US Marines…
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

Blog Entries

The romanticisation of the US marines is only a phenomenon amoung their own countrymen, the legion is romantisized in all of europe and beyond.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

What's hilarous is the number of Norwegians who join the Navy, thinking it's super-awesome because our names for "navy" and "marine" are the same("marinen").

Then they proceed to spend their conscript year on guard duty in front of a beached ship, occasionally getting to clean it....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Members thankful for this post (3):

Isn't the Foreign Legion's traditional role to get killed in foreign adventures without risking the lives of French voters? Get them involved in bloody enough foreign wars, and you'll be evening up the German-French population ratio.”
    It was. In fact, the Foreign Legion was created by the King to get read of immigrants… And it was not really popular as was completely useless (yes, even at these times)…

You are still living on old clichés pre and after WW2, about Germans (Pre: Anti-Nazi, after: former Nazi). And from when the French Government was shying away to spent the French Voters Blood (see WW1 and WW2 casualties list)? That is part of what left from the “bashing the French” campaign. The French do wars with foreigners… Yeah, right…
    I was actually jokingly referring to the Legion's earliest days, when it was sent into Spain because the defence minister at the time (Soult?) saw it as a way to meet foreign policy commitments without upsetting the French voters. While later incarnations of the Legion weren't viewed quite so cynically as expendable cannon fodder, AFAIK they were still the front line in France's foreign adventures, probably for the same reason (the Legion can get sent anywhere without needing to consult too many bodies).

I was actually jokingly referring to the Legion's earliest days, when it was sent into Spain because the defence minister at the time (Soult?) saw it as a way to meet foreign policy commitments without upsetting the French voters.” Err, Soult (Napoleon -1815), Foreign Legion (King Louis Philip - 1831) so not possible. And when did Napoleon was afraid to spill the blood of the French (who were not voting at the time)?
    You might mix-up with his nephew Napoleon III.

However, the “German” Legion was only after WW2. So I am not sure I buy your explanation. I am sure it was a joke, but, probably not knowingly, you used the “bash the French” rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    The Marines are romanticized for no good reason at all. Much to the chagrin of everyone in the far larger and more active Army. Can't stand em.
    I have a close friend who has been preparing to join the marines for like...5 years now? He spent two years at community college because he said it would give him better opportunities in the military to have some education than just high school. While working his part time job, he has been physically training himself so he can excel in the actual military. When he took that test all recruits take to determine what they are suited for (Just googled it, the ASVAB test), he did well enough that he had options. He plans on making the military his career and staying for 25+ years.

So what does he do after all that planning and hard work? He ends up getting the urge to join the marines as a grunt. His military adviser (a recruiter he became good friends with I think) told him to rethink that decision. But nope. It HAS to be the marines. And he HAS to start out as a grunt.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 04-03-2013 at 08:09.

I was actually jokingly referring to the Legion's earliest days, when it was sent into Spain because the defence minister at the time (Soult?) saw it as a way to meet foreign policy commitments without upsetting the French voters.” Err, Soult (Napoleon -1815), Foreign Legion (King Louis Philip - 1831) so not possible. And when did Napoleon was afraid to spill the blood of the French (who were not voting at the time)?
    You might mix-up with his nephew Napoleon III.

However, the “German” Legion was only after WW2. So I am not sure I buy your explanation. I am sure it was a joke, but, probably not knowingly, you used the “bash the French” rhetoric.
    If it's bash the French, it was unknowing. The German bit was merely referring to the Legion's own preference, for a while, for Germans over other nationalities.

Just looking at the timelines, I could have remembered rightly after all. The Legion was sent to Spain in 1835 to join their war there, while Soult was Minister of War from 1830 to 1834.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Israeli Air Strikes in Syria: 3 this year so far, 2 in the last 3 days

Source

So, take your pick...

1) Israel's strikes are just what they are claimed to be, surgical efforts to remove weapons that threaten Israel's security.

2) Israel's limited efforts to ensure that Assad's government loses in the long run.

3) Israel's efforts as a proxy for US efforts to remove Assad from power without seeming to take sides in anothe arab conflict.

4) Provide you own alternative.

My current thoughts are a combo of 1 and 2 with the added benefit that Israel knows the US will be labeled as supporting the effort, at least on the arab street, edgin up the pressure for Obama to engage.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 05-07-2013 at 18:08.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: Israeli Air Strikes in Syria: 3 this year so far, 2 in the last 3 days

Seems pretty short term. Given their anti-missile batteries are pretty good.

Remove a possible small threat to unite multiple large ones.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Israeli Air Strikes in Syria: 3 this year so far, 2 in the last 3 days

I have absolutely no idea, I follow the news but I have no idea what's real and what's not, or who is who. Supposedly it was a weapon transport from Iran that was bombed, but who knows

Israel thinks the Islamists will succeed, so Israel remove weapons they will use or give or sell.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Of the options given, I would seriously doubt #3. Israel isn't that kind of ally, for a variety of reasons.

Despite what they say, Western governments, including Israel, want Assad to remain in power. If there was an ulterior motivation beyond the destruction of a weapons shipment, I wouldn't be surprised if it was to lend support to the government's narrative of an Israeli backed insurgency.

Somewhat of all 3. It allows them to neutralize a threat at little cost, shades the relationship somewhat with Assad. Without declaring support for overthrow it gives Israel some credit with the rebel forces; might be important should the rebels win.

Israel serves notice that it can and will act if it's interests are at stake; if that also lends support to US aims to see Assad step down, so much the better.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

It's such a bizarre web of alliances, who knows?

It's hardly in Israel's interests to support either side. While the FSA has secular elements within it, a victory for them would at best mean Islamists getting a lot of power and possibly a majority with a democratic set up. At worse, it could result in the Nusra Front and the more Islamist FSA elements creating a Salafist theocracy.

On the other hand, Assad who supports Hezbollah and pan-Arab nationalist movements.

So I'm not sure how to interpret Israel's actions. Maybe they are just going to use the instability to take potshots at their enemies while they can get away with it.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

By now I would think it's crystal clear that once a rebellion/revolution is in progress, you really, really don't get to decide how it plays out. Not if you're the US, the EU, Israel—frankly, not if you're anyone but one of the thousands of armed men and women on the ground.

We might be able to have a bit of say about whether Assad falls or not, but even there I suspect actors on the ground will have far more influence than anything the West can bring to bear.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Despite what they say, Western governments, including Israel, want Assad to remain in power. If there was an ulterior motivation beyond the destruction of a weapons shipment, I wouldn't be surprised if it was to lend support to the government's narrative of an Israeli backed insurgency.
    They also give stuff to the insurgents. A thought that just came to mind 5 seconds ago, what if the country was supposed to be split up

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Hussein?

#1 seems likely enough. Israel thought that the materials were going to be shipped towards Lebanon and took them out.

Or with a twist, kind of a cross between 1 & 2:
    It's not that Israel suspects Assad of trying to transport high-grade weapons to Hezbollah, but that they've come to realize that Assad's position grows worse, and that he can no longer garantue his own ownership of these weapons. Israel thus decides to take out as many of these arms as possible before the civil war is concluded. If the rebels come out on top, maybe they can polish up their story with some post fact rationalisation that doing so saved Syrian lives.

Option 3 seems extremely unlikely. Israel would be trading a predictable and mostly sensible enemy (Assad) for an unknown future Syrian government that might turn out to be more agressive towards them. They might do this if they had their own reasons, but I doubt that they'd do it for the benefit of anyone else.

Anyway, I'm with this guy: A Syrian War Would Be an Inexplicable Blunder.

Israel will do as it pleases, with no regard for the impact on the USA's interests. And then Israel will expect us to pay for everything. That is our relationship; less of an alliance of equals, more of a surly teen v. parent kinda thing.

And anyone who claims to know how a revolution will turn out is an astonishing idiot.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Off topic.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I know how the revolution will turn out.

Lots of blood and guts spilled by Syrians in general with lots of stern letters from the UN and paternalistic cannily specific intelligence on movements of WMD.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Only maybe it wasn't. Nobody knows, including the UN's investigator.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Members thankful for this post (2):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

What fun are toys if you can't use them?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

We've left the rebels out to dry for so long...
    "We" haven't done anything to the Syrian rebels. You have to escape the mindset that we have an obligation to intervene on behalf of these people, despite the constant barrage of one-sided, sympathetic media coverage coming out of the country. The rebels have a long list of wealthy benefactors of their own, nations and leaders with far more moral authority and insight to act in the region than distant Western powers. If Saudi Arabia is not willing to bankroll this insurgency, why should we? And more importantly, what does that tell us about the true level of support the rebellion has among sympathetic states?

Right now, Assad is winning by not losing, which is the best possible outcome to this situation.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 05-07-2013 at 01:15.

*If your point is that the Rebels can't be trusted, I agree. I also think that had the UN intervened earlier and more decisively, the Rebels might be trustworthy. If your point is that this extended period of warfare is a good thing because it ties up two of our enemies, then I say shame on you. That kind of warfare hurts civvies more than anybody
    If you were a dog, I would rap you nose.

The rebels are fascists. To be more clear, the only rebels with any organization are fascists and if they topple Assad the only thing we will get is more of that sweet, sweet Islamic fascism. If we had sent in "the UN" earlier you know what we would have? Better armed and better organized fascists. The Israelis know this and are simply destroying the means for whichever side eventually comes out on top.

There is an insane notion that these Arab spring rebels are running around singing the star spangled banner and shouting Liberté, égalité, fraternité. They are not. They are shouting for stoning and foot-length dresses. They have no notion of our western style of liberalism. It smacks of Western arrogance, the assumption that these rebels fight to be like us. I know the media tries to shove those lines down our throat but in the end it's just feel good bullshit because when you rise against a strongman you have to be fighting for democracy.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

The rebels have gone through lots of phases since the conflict began, and for a lot of it they were nothing but a popular uprising against dictatorship with many different groups encompassing that particular cause. By not offering legitimacy to the anti-dictatorship cause (because China and Russia kept saying "Eh, veto") we now have a situation where the uprising has all kinds of sectarian overtones, and a large jihadist footprint.
    Which in short order was commandeered by the fascists, just like all these other uprisings

..Rap my nose?
    rap

/rap/

[COLOR=#878787 !important]Noun[/COLOR]
    1. A quick, sharp knock or blow.
    2. The smallest amount (used to add emphasis to a statement): "he doesn't care a rap".
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]Synonyms[/COLOR]
    verb. knock - tap - hit
    noun. knock - tap
    [/COLOR]

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast