Default Re: Greek Tragedy

Current adress of Ricki: Priene, Beachside

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Updated post #112

Members thankful for this post (2):

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

=_= wth happened to the rest of my army? in the write up you didnt seem to account for all of them.

i dont want to seem ungrateful, im happy you are putting so much effort into the game, but it seems to me there is no way this result could have followed from my orders
    Last edited by The Stranger; 06-24-2013 at 17:13.

We do not sow.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Great update Franc. For my own part, I believe the expression is "He who dares, wins!"

Who knows what the future will bring for my gallant Greeks - but at least we have done better than history with each town falling in a day. Bring on the Persians -who dies next!
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Any space in this game for me?

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxLeLay View Post
    Any space in this game for me?
    Perhaps. Declare for Parsa or die!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Perhaps. Declare for Parsa or die!
    I'll go with whoever!

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Ahahahhaha I'm imagining already a 40 pages order sent by The Stranger XDDDDDDD

BTW Franc, can we go ahead and send new orders? Maybe once Fox will have a position?
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-25-2013 at 15:49.

i havent got a personal debriefing yet of how the battle went, losses, casualties etc. and tbh i would like a "second opinion" on that result of the battle because it seems to me that this result could never have happened, not by my orders imo, and also not by the write up itself which has atleast 2 things that dont seem to add up :S

and my orders was only 20 pages this turn =_= serves me right i suppose, next time i will write 100 just to be sure.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    next time i will write 100 just to be sure.
    Doesn't work that way XD
    Anyway enough off-topic, die Aristagoras! :P

well, how does it work then? If sorcery was allowed, maybe I should have been told because what happened was nothing short of pure magic. For example, how is it possible that Ricki received reinforcements before I did while he was miles deep in enemy territory and surrounded and trapped on all sides on a bloody PENINSULA with just 1 entrance. And if that was not enough Houdini, he also managed to escape through enemy lines again, off the peninsula...

Maybe it is just me being crazy, but I find that odd.

We do not sow.

how is it possible that Ricki received reinforcements
    By reading it seemed to me, those Takabara were actually left there hidden. When the Persians retreated, the pursuing Greeks were ambushed by those men, that before would have been way back hidden in reserve...

yes the 4000, i dont mean them. somewhere later it says that the persians received thousands of reinforcements

Additionally, it seems as if the Persians receive also reinforcements. Several thousand light and heavy infantry men join the Persian force and Daurises hurries them to concentrate against the Ionian right wing

We do not sow.

Well TS, you guys hold a bunch of cities on the coast. And seems like you gathered all the men in a single army, so the countryside is completely undefended. While the hinterland is all part of the Persian Empire, the Carians were coming by a southern road, if I understood correctly, so that leaves the East wide open...
    Anyway I know as much as you do :D

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

well, how does it work then? If sorcery was allowed, maybe I should have been told because what happened was nothing short of pure magic. For example, how is it possible that Ricki received reinforcements before I did while he was miles deep in enemy territory and surrounded and trapped on all sides on a bloody PENINSULA with just 1 entrance. And if that was not enough Houdini, he also managed to escape through enemy lines again, off the peninsula...

Maybe it is just me being crazy, but I find that odd.
    Daurises is a sorcerer. I was never on any kind of peninsula. Perhaps you're to influenced by your incense, you decadent greek. Your decadence clearly blinds you, as I hid those Takabara among your own men!
    Last edited by rickinator9; 06-25-2013 at 17:40.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

cities were city states, you know that as well as i do, they would also own the surrounding, the area where we are is allied to me and his supply lines are cut. but regardless of that, i had all the passages into the peninsula cut off, atleast for something as big as an army of a few thousand.
    @Ricky, you should check the map, and read the write up, you are on a peninsula...

We do not sow.

Although Polis (City-State) actually is more about its political autosufficiency, they did possess surrounding land (and in Ionia, in a very limited quantity). But my point was that if the Hoplitai are outside fighting, no one but slaves, women, old and youths are roaming about. Not to mention that in case of war they'd be holed inside the walls of the Polis. So seems to me the countryside is pretty open and I don't see how anyone could block any movement (in the 5th cent too!)...

As for protecting passages, Leonidas posted Phocians and they didn't do anything. For all we know your men said "No thank you" and left :P

the peninsula is not even 10km wide across, i have my armies occyuping the highland and the road which leads from the mainland, along the coast, to priene, where ricki was. i just do not see how thousands of soldiers could have passed me unnoticed through a narrow strip of land while i control the highground and can see pretty much anything on both sides of the pensinsula.

also, even if this army could have reached him from somewhere outside the peninsula, it still is a mystery to me how he could have reached the battle before my reinforcements who were closer...

(the situation of the 300 is not comparable to this one, they were outnumber by 1 to godknowshowmany, while i had a numerical advantage or atleast numerical equality, not to mention that the quality of my troops is superior and they should be able to fight odds of 1-2 or even 1-5 as history has shown.)
    Last edited by The Stranger; 06-25-2013 at 18:08.

We do not sow.

(the situation of the 300 is not comparable to this one, they were outnumber by 1 to godknowshowmany, while i had a numerical advantage or atleast numerical equality, not to mention that the quality of my troops is superior and they should be able to fight odds of 1-2 or even 1-5 as history has shown.)
    I was speaking of your "i had all the passages into the peninsula cut off, atleast for something as big as an army of a few thousand.", which I have no idea how many were involved and was comparing it to a specifing contingent sent to hold a pass, not Thermopylai.
    BTW I didn't read for those reinforcements to enter the peninsula, just that in the aftermath of the battle, they were able to join...

As for the "not even 10 km wide", 15.000 men, 8 deep occupy something like 1.875 m x 800 m: how you plan for them to hold the rest I do not know...

Anyway all these talks are futile lol
    Deal with what happened XD
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-25-2013 at 18:37.

just check the map... there is a huge mountain in the middle, i dont have to have a men on every inch of soil to control a positon or area.

im not gonna accept what happened since my orders got ignored and alot of other stuff just doesnt add up. im sorry if i come across ungrateful or if i am being annoying but imo just too much just seems wrong or is otherwise not properly explained in the writeup. perhaps im missing some crucial bit of info, that is ofcourse possible.

We do not sow.

Ehm, the "huge mountain" is mostly this:

I know the Netherlands are something else, but my house has a steeper garage way :P
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-25-2013 at 19:02.

what is your point, you are going to claim that if i am on top of the mountain with an army that he can sneak by his own army without me noticing or being in a position to attack him? cmon...

We do not sow.

Now you are mad about that? First it was the coming of reinforcements and I posted the picture to show there's plenty of space to walk over...
    Wherever you were, he got there and you two met on the field. You pushed him back and his reverses cut down the pursuers. And in that chaos some other soldiers got there and marched to him...

You saying with "sneak by his own army without me noticing or being in a position to attack him?" that your smaller detachments should've been capable of attacking thousands incoming reinforcements, descending from a hill and cut them all down? While there was a battle going on/it was almost over and most of their comrades tossed down their equipment and were running away?
    Or what are you implying here?

I honestly have no idea what you are raging about, except raging for its own sake ^^
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-25-2013 at 19:26.

no what i am talking about is that he supposedly can have reinforcements from point C reach the battle, which is at point A, before my reinforcments which are at point B1 and B2. Why am i mad about this, because 1) my reinforcements from B1 and B2 were closer to the fighting than his were, wherever they came from. 2) His reinforcements were blocked by my reinforcements from B2, which held the mountain range which he would have had to pass over, because if he took the road he would have attacked my troops in the rear, and no such thing was mentioned. 3) My reinforcements at B2 which he supposedly not only outmarched, but also outwitted because he passed them by without being noticed, didnt even reach the fight, for some weird unmentioned reason...

and im not talking about a small detachment, im talking about 4k soldiers which is 20% of rickis army...

and thats actually the least part of it.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 06-25-2013 at 19:35.

We do not sow.

That's his men, are they supposed to stop themselves to do you a favour? I'm talking about your however large "i had all the passages into the peninsula cut off, atleast for something as big as an army of a few thousand." people...

By your reinforcements, I assume you are speaking of the Carians. If that's so by the write-up a large rearguard was sent to harass them.
    Also if your plan of winning is for NPC men to do most of the job, that is just not going to happen...

no my men, i had a contingent of 4k soldiers on the mountain which did not enter the fight and apparantly let reinforments past to join the fight and then again let rickis fleeing soldiers pass again when they left the fight.

i do not mean the carians, as i tried to make clear with B1 and B2, i had reinforcements on 2 positions. the carians were just there as bait.

besides if my orders were followed, none of this would even be relevant.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 06-25-2013 at 19:44.

We do not sow.

New game!

Lets take a break from the argument for a second. Would any of you fellows be up for a game like this, I need more sign ups :)!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxLeLay View Post
    New game!

Lets take a break from the argument for a second. Would any of you fellows be up for a game like this, I need more sign ups :)!
    i dont have time to play 2 games at the same moment :S sorry

We do not sow.

I will send you figures of casualties on Thursday. Then you can think about new orders.

I will discuss the results with Aristogoras.

FoxLeLay, I will think about it. Maybe I got a job for you.

Due to a protest I have to annulate the Central Theatre Battle and recalculate it.

Sorry for that, it was my mistake.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast