Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book recommendations requested!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-24-2013 at 14:57.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Default Re: Book recommendations requested!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Just started reading this one a couple of days ago - very promising.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane View Post
    Just started reading this one a couple of days ago - very promising.
    Should read the other one I linked as well, great book.

His journey into Congo is what inspired Conrad. There was this Belgian offficer called Rom, who went a little nuts
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-24-2013 at 15:28.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Yeah, I'm filled up on fiction for the foreseeable future, so I'm looking for non-fiction... Especially books on democracy or economics, but anything goes really.
    I read non-fiction almost exclusively. My favorites over the past few years:

Hundred Years War series by Jonathan Sumption. Link is to book 1. 3 are currently written of a planned 5, with 4 likely due out in the next year or two. Possibly the best non-fiction series I've ever read, in both academic quality and entertaining writing.

The Civil War ser by Shelby Foote. Link is to book 1 (of 3). The best US Civil War books ever written, and likely ever to be written. An incredible achievement in research, depth, and writing. Ken Burns' magnificent documentary was heavily based on this work (and Shelby appeared in it frequently).

The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649-1815 by N. A. M. Rodger. Superb overview of the Royal Navy charting its rise to the world's most dominant military force. It's the second in a series of 3, but I have not read the other two as I was mainly interested in the British Imperial time period for the subject matter.

1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West, Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World, both by Roger Crowley, and The Siege of Vienna: The Last Great Trial Between Cross & Crescent, by John Stoye. I read all of these consecutively and chronologically, and they provided a great look at the Ottoman Empire. The first two in particular are very good.

A History of the Crusades, by Steven Runcimen. Link is to book 1 of 3. Superb series on the Crusades, covering all of them in great detail and with entertaining writing as well. Unfortunately these are out of print and finding a complete set is expensive unless you pick up used copies. Well worth it though.

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, by Charles C. Mann. An overview of the history of the Americas prior to the arrival of Columbus. Uses a superb mix of information from many different sciences to uncover a wealth of information about societies whose histories have largely been lost to time. It also chronicles the evolution of the sciences involved in making these discoveries, showing how misconceptions were arrived at and how modern theories have evolved. An incredibly enlightening book.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, by Jared Diamond. Another master work by the author of Guns, Germs, and Steel. A convincing and sobering look at civilizations that have gone extinct, or nearly so, why it happened, and what the implications are for modern societies.

A History of the World in 100 Objects, by Neil MacGregor. Based on a BBC radio series, this book is 100 separate segments about 100 objects stored in the British Museum, using them to explain the entire course of human history, from pre-history to modernity, and all the cultures in between. Fascinating information on both macro and micro scales.

Let me know if you want more recommendations, I can keep going for a long time.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Should read the other one I linked as well, great book.
    Actually already did a while ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane View Post
    Actually already did a while ago
    My man

Heartbreaking stuff. The Scramble for Africa goes much more into detail, great read

If you haven't read them already, these are great books about Africa's sad history as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake_H...e_Devil_(book)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-River-.../dp/0099494280
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-24-2013 at 20:04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12