Thread: Suggestion and Feature Request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazon Total War Admin Member parthian shot's Avatar

Default Suggestion and Feature Request

Hi I haven't posted in a while but I just played a few playthroughs on the mod.

Have you considered trying different eras for the mod? A barbarian invasion one for instance where you have the Amazons on the margins of the Roman Empire, or perhaps in substitution for some factions like the Sassanids/huns, or perhaps even largely doing what they were doing before with the Gorgons once again rushing out of the desert to reclaim their homeland. You could still essentially have the same current map since IMO most of the cities that were important then were important in that period as well. Basically, Amazons causing the fall of the roman empire would be pretty cool IMO. In fact you could present a united roman faction as a sort of ultimate challenge for the player to overcome, whilst obviously the solid rebellion mechanics and the challenge of the hoard would still remain for the roman player; with the others caught in the middle as they are in vanilla BI. I don't know, THE RETURN OF THE GEOTHE or something to that effect.
    This is quoting Totalwar14's recommendation for Amazon Total War from the other site.
    Last edited by parthian shot; 06-11-2013 at 05:12.

Default Re: Suggestion and Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by parthian shot View Post
    This is quoting Totalwar14's recommendation for Amazon Total War from the other site.
    So you want to do the 450BC thingy?

Right! Both Thyssa (now Albanian Amazon) and Geothe by the Caucasus Gates. With massive Hunnish invasion.

Now that we have the multi-campaign capability.

What would the Seleucid be?

Don't know! Achaemenid?

Or may be

Parthia -> Massagetae
    Seleucid -> Achaemenid
    Macedon -> Sparta
    Greek Cities -> Delian League w/Athen
    Rome -> Rome
    Egypt -> Thessaly or Pherae
    Scythian -> Scythia
    Sarmatian -> Huns
    Carthage -> Carthage
    Iberia -> ?

Hi, just moved to the new site. Used to be called totalwar1402 on Total war center forums.

Anyway, Parthian mentioned that you were thinking of moving to another system, either med 2 or Rome 2. Has there been any info about the modibility of Rome 2? Shogun took forever from what I remember. Plus, has there been any hint that female units will be in the vanilla game? This, basically made modding Amazons into the game a lot easier. On the one hand they did this on a pretty thin pretext in Shogun 2 with the Onna Bushi but I don't know if we'll see Screeching Women and pseudo Amazons like the Head Hunting Maidens for any Scythian dlc factions. The Themiskyra easter egg would be cool if they did that again.

About the above mentioned thing I suggested. I get the impression you want to try moving the factions you have in Amazon 8.0 around rather than importing the Amzon factions and map into BI?

It would be difficult to directly transfer a lot of the factions over to 280-350ADish.

Broadly speaking I would guess

-Parthia=Sassanids (or make them Massagatae as you say and replace Sas with an Amazon factions regards territory in Persia)
    Armenia=Armenia (they still exist)
    Egypt=Palmyra (although technically a third century crisis thing you could still use them to represent the border regions)
    Greek Cities- Possibly as a protectorate of Rome, maybe on Rhodes for instance
    Seleucids= I am not 100% on this. But, I believe that there was a Greek Kingdom in India and possibly still in Bactra. At any rate, I think the Saka armies from Europa had a fair amount of Hellenic influence. So relocating them there to India could work.
    Macedon- The Kingdom of the Bospheros in the Crimea
    Carthage-Possibly as the "Berbers" or the people in modern day Morrocco who even in Vanilla BI are not part of Rome. Similar enough for it to stand.
    Numidia/Yuezhi- These people were chasing the Saka? Forced them into India? Well, put the Numidians roughly in Saka territory possibly down to Bactra.
    The Barbarians are tricky ones- But for the sake of argument, they can suffice to represent the very broad number of german tribes that exist in that period. Some of which were better equipped so the Spanish could stand in whilst those further east would be more barbaric still.
    Scythia and Sarmatia-The same, although perhaps the scythians could represent the Vandals?
    Rome-Controls a united roman empire. Have to check the year when this was last the case. I think it was 362.

As for the Amazons

-Personally I would have the Geothe as a hoard take the place of the Huns historically. Unless you want to have the Sarmatians with a huge hoarde fill in for the Huns.

-The Thermadon (reds) Amazons I would have take the place of the Goths in Dacia. Basically explain that their homelands in Asia Minor were overran but Trajan failed to conquer them.

-The Gorgons can pretty much remain where they are, threatening Rome in North Africa.

The Thyssa (blues), I am unsure about. That depends on what you would like to do with Parthia and the Sassanids. They could remain where they are. Or, they could also start off as a hoard and replace the Vandals who would start roughly in Poland/Belarus.

In fact I quite like that since those are the big three Barbarian tribes which took down Rome. So Thermadon replace the goths, Geothe replace the huns, Thyssa replace the Vandals. Gorgons stay the same. Just a slight twist on the history and you would just have to move the factions around. Just brainstorming here. :D
    Last edited by Drakarys1402; 06-15-2013 at 01:06.

Welcome to tworg! And thank you for the wonderful ideas.

S2TW is not really moddable, rumor has that CA is continuing that trend, i.e. coming out with an excuse there will be no officially supported mod tools etc. IMO, if that is what they end up doing, it is a big mistake in the long run. Another possibility is that they won't be publishing usable modding tools until 24 months into the Rome II. Because first they need the manpower to stabilize the game, second, it give CA the windows of profit, when the revenue is going low, they would turn to the modding to keep the revenue flowing.
    But these are just rumors.

I want to mention that the current 8.0 is already running in BI, it looks like an original RTW, but in reality it is using the BI engine and vanilla models, so the Sassanid are already available.

The reason for the 450BC is because the mod's storyline is based on a book I am writing. Sort of a prequel to the current start campaign at 270BC.

What you suggested looks very interesting, if there is a story too, please feel free to share. You would be credited with it of course.

450BC? That's, I am just trying to think what was going on back then. So would that be around the time of Darius and the Greek-Persian wars or a little before that? If it was back then then you would have to check that factions like Gaul were repositioned and such since they arrive a bit later I think in their regions. Personally I would use the Parthians to represent the Persians and just put the Greek/Hellenic factions in Greece to represent the city states. I am not even sure if Macedon could be considered a faction back then since I think its before Philip 2. If that's before the Persians conquer Egypt then keeping the Ptolomy would work pretty fine. In fact it might even be before they conquer the greek colonies on Asia Minor so you could put the Seleucids there to explain their general easterness.

According to Wikipedia this was going on in 450BC and it answers some of those questions-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/450BC

Although the bit about Egypt seems at odds with this map

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Expanision.jpg

Bit more context here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...amis-in-Cyprus

I guess I was just suggesting a what if scenario. I think the idea is that in vanilla 8.0 it is canon that the Geothe get all this technology and conquer the world? What I was suggesting as a possible campaign is if, actually, they lost, the Amazons were driven back and history more or less followed the lines it did up until around 363ADish when vanilla barbarian invasion begins with the arrival of the huns. At this point the Geothe are believed to have been exterminated, the Gorgons driven back into the desert and the Thyssa still far to the north of the Sassanids in Persia and the Yuezhi in India. However, just as Rome reels from its stunning defeats against the Sassanids and Goths word reaches the Romans (either united or not) that the Geothe have returned from the far east stronger and more powerful than ever. They have spent hundreds of years in bitterness preparing for the return and now they feel there moment has come to get revenge on the Romans. At the same time, the Gorgons sweep out of the North African deserts in force for the first time in decades and even the Thyssa begin sterring to the North of the Sassanids. For the Thermadon amazons, I am not so sure what role they could play. Technically all their territory lies inside the roman empire. Actually, you could say that like the Sarmatians, the Thermadon were enslaved and partially integrated as auxillia across the Roman Empire. In fact, you would expect them to be deliberately removed from their homeland. However, as the empire weakens, these bands, rebels and traitor auxillia rise up in the Western Roman Empire. So they could be another hoard in Gaul or Spain to represent this rebellion. Taken together these things cause a cascade of barbarian invasions and the Roman Empire is forced to fight for its life on every front as the Geothe deliberately drive these tribes into the empire before moving in for the killing blow.

As well as that I think it would present a very different type of scenario in which two or three large factions control a huge extent of the map and are attacked from all directions. So, if the 450BC thing would be a prequel then a 350AD mod would be a sequel to the main campaign.
    Last edited by Drakarys1402; 06-15-2013 at 10:25.