Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reviews

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    Because "pirated copies" I assume.
    Yeah, I dont buy that excuse. Bohemia Interactive released Arma III as an alpha like what? 5-6 months ago? Allowed for the community to look for bugs and glitches, and now, a few days from release, its very, very good, and I cant wait to see more when its all done.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Yeah, I dont buy that excuse. Bohemia Interactive released Arma III as an alpha like what? 5-6 months ago? Allowed for the community to look for bugs and glitches, and now, a few days from release, its very, very good, and I cant wait to see more when its all done.
    Oh I agree that open betas can be totally useful in helping to catch bugs and "hey, where did you put...."

But there are really only 2 reasons why they wouldn't do that. Crippling fear of theft and piracy or the weird "knowledge" that they had everything right and therefore didn't need a beta. But no one could really play this game and think...... wait now I'm not so sure.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Not to burst your bubble or anything but pirated copies of R2TW came out on launch day. And pirating the game is actually very easy from what I read, it just requires an installation.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but pirated copies of R2TW came out on launch day. And pirating the game is actually very easy from what I read, it just requires an installation.
    I don't have a bubble to burst, I don't care why or if people pirate. That was just a reason for "why not beta?!"

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I suspect it has to do with the publisher, rather than the developers.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I suspect it has to do with the publisher, rather than the developers.
    Totally. I don't think anyone at CA would really have an issue with a beta. That's most likely some suits in an office going "Release the game... for free? before release date? I think not"

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8#t=577

not a normal review, but honest atleast

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8#t=577

not a normal review, but honest atleast
    Already been posted, page 3, but eh, who cares, right?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Angry Joe is hilarious!!!!!!!!!
    "Après moi le déluge"

...My main theory here is that Sega demanded an early September release to combat the GTA V release, when in reality, it should have been at around Christmas...
    See that right there. If it's true, is the most asinine, stupid logic to use. And tells you the bean counters are in control. If they are afraid of competition from the GTA series robbing release sales, it just shows how short-sighted they really are. They aren't even the same type of game! Even if they competed for initial release purchases, it doesn't matter. If kiddies who have no money hear it's a good game, they will buy it a couple months from release date.
    Rome 2 has received so much bad publicity now many people won't be buying this until a year down the road...and probably wait for it to hit the $30 mark. This makes Sega sound like the movie industry.

Me personally. I hate Steam. I understand why they use it. I just think it's *draconian. So yes, I hate Steam with a passion. But not militantly so. I did buy two copies of Shogun 2, but not FotS yet. I am also more of a fan of mods. I won't be buying Rome 2 for what it is, but potentially for what it might be. If they get broken stuff patched up the wazoo, lose the stupid capture flags and fix the battle AI, and then someone gets an Europa Barbarorum or Roma Surrectum type mod going, I'll be all over it for that SP aspect. Right now it seems MP is broken. Either way I'll give it a look again in a year and a half. Time will tell...

----
    *Steam: My biggest gripe is the umbilical cord they want to constantly maintain. If they adjusted two things I'd be perfectly content with it;
    - One-time authentication, generate me a key and I'm done. Keeping a disc in the drive is bad enough, but keeping an internet connection is equally bad. Worst case, even just authentication when installing and patching would be more reasonable. Most of my game playing is single player, and some random LAN parties w/ friends. Very little online play. Yes, I know you can put Steam in offline mode, but I've had problems with it before.

- I usually end up buying multiple copies of the same game. Why? LAN gaming. I usually keep a couple machines, sometimes a friend will drop by and we'll have an spontaneous game going. Or I'll loan out to friends, etc. for LAN patries. My frustration here is Steam makes me maintain an account for each copy. Even if I could set up multiple accounts and tie it to one email address, that would be fantastic. Instead I've got to keep several email accounts (or aliases), keep track of the passwords, who is using what, etc. Very obnoxious.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Already been posted, page 3, but eh, who cares, right?
    indeed. who cares. not sega :O

We do not sow.

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

What do you expect for next DLC of this game? I hope they release for example Iberian culture pack for it.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadesPanther View Post
    All his points are valid to me.
    You do have to question how other reviewers didn't notice all the bugs (or were paid not to care). It shows why you can't trust reviewers for big magazines/websites now.

He also made the AI guy look like a complete idiot.

I feel the same as him about the game. I love it but very disappointed about it.
    The real question isn't why other reviewers didn't notice these issues.

The real question is why CA didn't test it enough and released it with these issues.

I died laughing several times in Angry Joe's review. Especially at 11:15 mark with the sideways ship...
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851 View Post

The real question is why CA didn't test it enough and released it with these issues.
    As I said before, I think it was Sega who pushed for an early September release, and CA had to somehow make that deadline, and in the process, a lot of things became collateral damage. Like optimization, AI, etc.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Yes, that's certainly a big why....but I'm afraid only Mike Simpson or some other higher up has the answer

OTOH, the posting by those who are actually playing the game, is that with enough patches, R2 could be a decent game.

I would save the CA-bashing for the next release, seeing as how R2 has been out for over a week now, and such questions as why this and why that are kinda moot, no?
    High Plains Drifter

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    CA-bashing
    You know, since the release I don't think there's been much of that around here. Just a deep and abiding ... sadness.

Yes, bashing is probably a bit over-the-top....but my point is still the same. It's out now, so why is rather moot. Better to ask where to from here, IMHO.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 09-11-2013 at 19:35.
    High Plains Drifter

Here's the first intelligent, constructive measure I've seen for dealing with the "flag" issue:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ry-Points-quot

I still wouldn't be entirely happy with this, but it takes matters out of the game-breaker realm into one I could learn to live with....
    High Plains Drifter

The problem is that CA added it to the wrong game type. They put it in SP but MP has none and is a corner camp fest.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Huh?

Did you read that dude's post? and comment to what he posted?
    High Plains Drifter

I read as much as I can.

Just giving some feedback on Mp, I think nobody here cares about a decent TW MP. I do not jot down on how CA screwed up on implementing CPs, I'm talking about: Why doesn't MP have it when it needs it more to counter corner camping.

The ideas are good, makes it bearable to me thoughI hate CPs in SP with a passion.

Edit: I wonder if you read my post at all either...
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-11-2013 at 21:50.

I wonder if you read my post at all either
    I did. So what did you think of his ideas of making the flags count for morale penalties instead of insta-win? or as a siege engine workshop area when attempting to break a siege? or any other of his ideas?
    High Plains Drifter

Good stuff. Though the timer needs to increase instead of being 50 seconds.

I feel the screwup is largely due to SEGA. These people had super consoles and yet they ran their business to the ground. Now they are after TW. CA maybe a developer but its very hard to argue with the suit who pays the bills and salaries. Everyone needs their salary right ?

Instead of flaming CA, the feedback must be directed at SEGA (though it wont do any good there either)

Quote Originally Posted by jaspritsingh View Post
    Instead of flaming CA, the feedback must be directed at SEGA (though it wont do any good there either)
    Right there- we need to give them feedback, not grief. Anything harsh has already been said. Right now we need to help them patch the game to what it should have been by giving them helpful feedback on what works and what doesnt so we get our moneys worth, instead of just ranting how they are the worst people ever for pushing out an unfinished product.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Right there- we need to give them feedback, not grief. Anything harsh has already been said. Right now we need to help them patch the game to what it should have been by giving them helpful feedback on what works and what doesnt so we get our moneys worth, instead of just ranting how they are the worst people ever for pushing out an unfinished product.
    Agree whole heartedly...

...and shamelessly post whoring to get to 1,000!
    "Après moi le déluge"

Hmm now we just need to collect all the criticisms from many rants other people and I made. Anybody care to make a document on it and send it to CA? Romans! Use the whip!

(Rome 2 reference)
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 09-17-2013 at 20:24.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234