Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone explain internal politics to me?

Default Re: Can someone explain internal politics to me?

Someone posted about trying to trigger the civil war by initiating a Stalinist purge of the opposition. They bribed and assassinated relentlessly until the civil war triggered.
    Rome rebelled but there were no rebel armies. He just marched an army into Rome and the civil war was over.

I'm assuming that he eliminated so much of the opposition that they didn't have any generals left to lead the rebel armies.
    But I don't know for sure.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Someone posted about trying to trigger the civil war by initiating a Stalinist purge of the opposition. They bribed and assassinated relentlessly until the civil war triggered.
    Rome rebelled but there were no rebel armies. He just marched an army into Rome and the civil war was over.

I'm assuming that he eliminated so much of the opposition that they didn't have any generals left to lead the rebel armies.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Yeah that's who he's talking about. Now go and write a guide on how to internal politics. And do one explaining how to raise Generals too while you are at it

Internal politics seemed bit too complicated. Sometimes I wonder how the AI would handle things like this?

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post

I did something similar, but delayed the CW rather than triggering it. Instead of bribing and assassinations I adopted everyone I could and spread rumors for most of the remaining members of other families to keep their influence low enough. I also tried to avoid assigning other family members as generals, instead I appointed them as admirals when needed. The civil war didn't occur until I hit the 4th imperium level (12 armies?) and since I had most of the generals in my family the senatorial stacks were small and fairly useless. In fact some of the other family members stayed loyal too.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I decided to play my new Rome campaign on cruise control. I only ever denied enemy adoptions and did nothing much either. I don't know if I have been overly negligent, or unlucky (I didn't get the white fawn, child prodigy or other beneficial family events) but I only ever had one family member and those worth adotpting died in battle or of old age before I could set some funds aside (curiously, my wars with Carthage and Lybia and later the two African tribes left my treasury strained and kept 3 legions occupied)

So I own Italia, Corsica et Sardinia, Magna Graecia, Africa, Lybia and almost all of Aegyptus at turn 61. I'd say a pretty timid expansion rate according to my standards (at my first playthrough I also owned Hellas and Makedonia as well by that time). So right as I'm dropping the hammer on Rhodos (who had wiped out Egypt 15-20 years ago) I get civil war. I own 3 fullstacks, consisting mostly of preatorians, auxillary peltasts and light cav. Rome turned blue, and it spawned 6-7 stacks (so almost double my standing armies) of equal quality. Right a turn 1 they took the 2 closest minor settlments to Rome.

Now, since Magna Graecia is my primary recruitment center, I'll at most be able to scrounge up 6 or 9 units before they come knocking. So I'll have to work with 3 and 1/2 legions versus double the odds... We'll see how it goes!

But since I noticed that Alexandria can recruit quality heavy cav with a tier 4 Aux barracks, and the minor settlement directly west of Alexandria can recruit ellephants with a tier 3, I'll at least be able to raise up some minor stacks with quality auxilia units if push comes to shove.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12