Thread: A quick positive note about this community and post-release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default A quick positive note about this community and post-release

I gotta say, the qualities of the Org and this subforum really shone through since post-release. If you look on other forums, especially the official forums, there were/are flame wars going on about how CA is the devil and anyone that likes them is just as bad.

But I dont see any of that here, and I find that to be a testament to how great this community is. Kudos to everyone here for being top-notch people.

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (4):

Default Re: A quick positive note about this community and post-release

Going apeshit wont fix anything. Besides, it seems the consensus here is that if CA doesn't fix what people have of various issues with the game, the modding community will as soon as they can ^^

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmam View Post
    Going apeshit wont fix anything. Besides, it seems the consensus here is that if CA doesn't fix what people have of various issues with the game, the modding community will as soon as they can ^^
    Tell that to the people on the official forums and the TWC...

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I am new here so I can't say if there is a tonal shift but outside of some dramatic "worst game ever!" stuff it's been fine. Nothing that makes me want to walk away from the forum as it were.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Tell that to the people on the official forums and the TWC...

yeah, they get pretty wild over there....

anyways, the latest release has been a disappointment, but RTW (the first one), is always fun, so I can always go back to it, my mod (which is almost never ending ), and work. (while we're on that note, I could use volunteers for the SYW mod (See signature): it's for the Alex engine of Rome total war, and we are going along, though we could use a full team).

besides, as Jarmam pointed out, I'm sure someone will come around, fix the bugs, and make it worth playing. If not, again, we got the older titles. (though to level with you, this shouldn't really be necessary...)
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-09-2013 at 07:06.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

The official forums have been a write off for about 8 years. Most official forums are. It seems like level headed, realistic people simply don't bother getting all worked up about stuff. That just leaves the ADD type nut jobs frothing at the mouth providing feed back. Even reading that can get you all worked up even when you are pretty relaxed about how things are progressing.

That's why I'm here and have been for ages.

This game is immense, the coding is enormous and they do a great job getting a stable build out at release. Give it 2 to 5 weeks and you will have a top notch game with all the issues ironed out.

That's a good return on investment in my view. Managing your own expectations is the key. :)
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 09-09-2013 at 09:38.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Strategist and Storyteller Senior Member Myth's Avatar

.org rules, TWC drools!
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Members thankful for this post (3):

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    Managing your own expectations is the key. :)
    While it is important to remember that you can express a criticism about a product in a mature way, it is also important to remember that if someone is criticizes something, it doesn't mean they aren't being level headed or realistic. None of us would be on this forum or the TWC if we weren't interesting in TW games, and thus we want them to be awesome. The pursuit of excellence is one of the few things in this world you can't denounce from any angle.

For me, I only buy games that rate extremely well in reviewers that actually do a quality job reviewing (PC Gamer for instance).

Thus, I have high expectations for my games. And the majority I've bought and played, including last few (SC2, Crysis and League of Legends) all meet those expectations. Rome II does not. I vastly prefer Rome I, and will continue too play it unless the land battles in Rome II aren't tied to capture points and the game turns out to be as moddable as Rome I was.

While everyone is free to their own opinion, or as Donald Rumsfeld said, if you live in a free society you are free to make mistakes, I do believe strongly that some of you should expect and demand more for your hard earned money. I was lucky enough to get an early beta key for SC2 and SC2:HOTS and both these Beta builds were far more stable than Rome II at release. That is unacceptable to me. It is unacceptable for a game to be released in that state. CA needs to know this, so it doesn't happen again, because it has happened before. Taking a passive approach of "managing expectations" or thinking "we got the older titles" does nothing to fix the problem, and in fact, it exacerbates it. From one adult to another, I found this forum to be far too supportive of CA pre-release, ignoring obvious problems with the game that we saw in videos and reviews pre-release and assuming the would be fixed on release. Those kind of assumptions are something a child would make, given CA's history. An adult would stand up and put pressure on CA to fix them. Worse, these kind of opinions didn't change after release when proven wrong (as an adult opinion would), they morphed into "well you should expect these kind of issues and they will be fixed soon." When Valve releases a game, we don't see these kind of issues.

But of course, we are all entitled to our own opinion. I hope Rome II becomes great, but managing (lowering) my expectations until Rome II meets them is not the way for me to get a good return investment.

If you don't expect much from anything in life, you'll be happy with anything.
    Last edited by fallen851; 09-09-2013 at 15:06.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    The official forums have been a write off for about 8 years. Most official forums are. It seems like level headed, realistic people simply don't bother getting all worked up about stuff. That just leaves the ADD type nut jobs frothing at the mouth providing feed back. Even reading that can get you all worked up even when you are pretty relaxed about how things are progressing.

That's why I'm here and have been for ages.

This game is immense, the coding is enormous and they do a great job getting a stable build out at release. Give it 2 to 5 weeks and you will have a top notch game with all the issues ironed out.

That's a good return on investment in my view. Managing your own expectations is the key. :)
    Slightly, OT, but great to see you're still around, AG!

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmam View Post
    On the other hand, it shouldn't be the job of the community and the modder to fix the game.
    I find it good that there is some feeling of "that's not acceptable". The publishers wouldn't do it if they knew they couldn't get away with it, so in a sense trying to be too "reasonable" is actually a bad thing.
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

I wish there was more direct competition with the Total War series. For instance, I am a fan of the battlefield series of games, and while I am not as big a fan of the Call of Duty series, having COD constantly competiting against Battlefield for customers helps to push Battlefield to put forth top effort. Until there is a really good challenger, I dont think we will ever see the "best" product CA could produce.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeBaker View Post
    I wish there was more direct competition with the Total War series.
    I guess I will be taking a very careful look at Europa Universalis IV.

And then there's always the mod love for the older TW games.

Beyond that ... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Empire [...] is just simply unplayable even with all those mods I've plopped on it.
    I dunno, I had many hours of enjoyment with DarthMod and Empire. It's still broken in many ways, but it is, in fact, playable. (Also, I have a particular weakness for the period.)
    Last edited by Lemur; 09-09-2013 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I guess I will be taking a very careful look at Europa Universalis IV.
    EU is a GREAT serie, but it doesn't really compete with the TW one. They have common background theme, but aside that they are polar opposite (EU focus on management, diplomacy and grand strategy with battle being automated and graphics kept to a minimum, TW focus on battles and graphical immersion).

I'm right now having a blast in EU4, but it doesn't scratch my "huge battle" itch like I wanted RTW2 to.
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    On the other hand, it shouldn't be the job of the community and the modder to fix the game.
    I find it good that there is some feeling of "that's not acceptable". The publishers wouldn't do it if they knew they couldn't get away with it, so in a sense trying to be too "reasonable" is actually a bad thing.
    There is a difference between a "feeling of thats not acceptable" and "hyperbolic mayhem". I have that feeling quite a bit, and have expressed it often. I am just still stoked for the game because of its potential in the hands of competent modders. But I still complain, of course. There are many puzzling decisions made that I am... puzzled by.

If criticism is fair then there isn't (or shouldn't be) a need to make up more or go ballistic in spamthreads. I believe that's what this thread is about.

This community is a more tempered version of other places. I've always enjoyed it.

I started playing TW with Rome, and found the Org while playing Medieval II, although I didn't join until around Empire. I will say Empire seemed to cause a schism in the Org, if not general falling out in CA support in general. Posting activity for Napoleon, Shogun 2 and now Rome 2 is considerably less than Empire or Medieval 2.

While I was disappointed in a lot of decisions for Empire I'd say I generally enjoyed it, especially with mods. However after reading post after post about how awesome it was to play England, and later figuring out that the AI couldn't do naval invasions.......I just couldn't overcome the complete failure that game was. The Org pretty much ran the spectrum of fans at the time. There were: those who could only spit vitriol about CA, those who were generally depressed, those who were hopeful mods could fix it, and those who loved the game regardless. I'd say the extremes on either end were the fewest but generally the most vocal, and at odds with each other.

I sat out Napoleon (picked it up on sale but haven't even played through Italy). Played the heck out of Shogun 2 but really haven't been active in the Org since.

I do miss all the activity....Like Ask the Pizza Guy's total conquest speed challenges and all the guides people used to go to the trouble to make.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Strategist and Storyteller Senior Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    This community is a more tempered version of other places. I've always enjoyed it.

I started playing TW with Rome, and found the Org while playing Medieval II, although I didn't join until around Empire. I will say Empire seemed to cause a schism in the Org, if not general falling out in CA support in general. Posting activity for Napoleon, Shogun 2 and now Rome 2 is considerably less than Empire or Medieval 2.

While I was disappointed in a lot of decisions for Empire I'd say I generally enjoyed it, especially with mods. However after reading post after post about how awesome it was to play England, and later figuring out that the AI couldn't do naval invasions.......I just couldn't overcome the complete failure that game was. The Org pretty much ran the spectrum of fans at the time. There were: those who could only spit vitriol about CA, those who were generally depressed, those who were hopeful mods could fix it, and those who loved the game regardless. I'd say the extremes on either end were the fewest but generally the most vocal, and at odds with each other.

I sat out Napoleon (picked it up on sale but haven't even played through Italy). Played the heck out of Shogun 2 but really haven't been active in the Org since.

I do miss all the activity....Like Ask the Pizza Guy's total conquest speed challenges and all the guides people used to go to the trouble to make.
    You will be pleasantly surprised then
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

lets turn this thread into a flamewar, just to prove the op wrong?!?

We do not sow.

Member thankful for this post:

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Stop trying to fan the flames like ... a fanboy.

I used to like TWC but now it appears it is populated by nationalists and children.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Stirring up trouble, tsk tsk tsk

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Stirring up trouble, tsk tsk tsk

you know me :P trouble preceedes me, its not a causal relation, just bad luck :S

We do not sow.